New Civs - Confirmed Details

It's hard to say what they mean about the "Sea Dagger", it seems to be a melee ship, but that's not unique. Does it gain extra gold from taking coastal cities?

:dunno: I'm with you here. Might be that whoever wrote the article doesn't know it better :dunno:.

The 'Sea Dagger' may be able to build Polders on Coastal Tiles?

I think that's two clauses in a not greatly written sentence.

They have Sea Daggers
They can build Polders which...

ETA: Any Dutch person have a clue what a Sea Dagger is?

I understood it in the same way like Louis, I changed my translation a bit :).

Maybe Sea Dagger is a German translation or euphemism for Privateer or Pirate.

It was the only English word in a German article, it wasn't translated, but it would make sense that it's a Privateer. Modern "Sea Dagger" is a sovert operations submarine, and it doesn't fit the Dutch. I think it's a kind of privateer, fluyt or other light ship.

I don't really see the confusion, to me the german text is quite clear:

UA: East India Company - Can trade luxuries w/o losing happiness
UU: Sea Dagger - A replacement for the privateer (this is just giessing, but as we know there will be such a ship it is safe to say, that the Sea Dagger will be its replacement), that can plunder coastal cities without capturing them
UI: Polder - well the article doesnt really say anything about it, that could be translated into a game concept, it is probably built on marshes and gives gold and food

Sea Dagger is written in English, which suggests it's the unit name.

Sea Dagger is written in English, which suggests it's the unit name.

I really hope they have a good explanation for that name though, i love the Age of Sail, have read books, watched movies and played games of this era, but never ever seen "Sea Dagger"

Well, it doesn't make sense for them to pull it out of thin air, especially since there are known Dutch things they could have used as an alternative.

"the Netherlands can also build polders, which they can use to gain new land and which protects them from floods."

I wonder if this means there will be random events such as natural disasters?

I wouldn't be so nitpicking about this german article.

While there are some usefull informations, the author seemed a little bit clueless on other points. For example he writes about some changes in espionage as if espionage was included in vanilla CiV.

As I was reading, I thought some things sounded a little odd. I just assumed that was due to a bad translation from google. Maybe this guy was just elaborating on what Polders do in real life rather than what they do in the game.

According to the German article the Dutch can trade luxuries without losing happiness, they can build a ship called Sea Dagger which can raid coastal cities and they can build Podlers that create new land and protect that land from floods.

Anyone else think this 'reviewer' just misunderstood most of what was said? :rolleyes:

A quick 'google' of Sea Dagger gets the aforementioned 'sub' with Sweden/Germany as reference countries.

That's very unlikely to be a renaissance era ship.

Any chance someone knows of a better Eighty Year War (independence was around the time of Frigates/etc) ship? and to top that off, assume 'dagger' is mildly 'phonetically' similar - at least to someone who doesn't understand English well/has accent issues.

The only non-modern, non submarine "Sea Dagger" I could find on Google is that it's the name of a privateer in a series of romance novels by Brenda Joyce. I seriously hope that's not the reference they were going for.

I may have a clue for our Sea Dagger:

What if the German misheard or misread the unit name? Being a different language than his own, it could be possible.

I found a Dutch boat type called a Dogger. it's a vessel with a blunt bow and two masts. A blunt-prowed vessel would probably make a good landing craft because it can run up on beaches.

Sea Dagger = Zee Dogger?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogger_(boat)

I may have a clue for our Sea Dagger:

What if the German misheard or misread the unit name? Being a different language than his own, it could be possible.

I found a Dutch boat type called a Dogger. it's a vessel with a blunt bow and two masts. A blunt-prowed vessel would probably make a good landing craft because it can run up on beaches.

Sea Dagger = Zee Dogger?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogger_(boat)

That would not make too much sense either, as according to the wikipedia article the Dogger is a small fishing boat, the military version had only 4 cannons, which is half of that of a Sloop

However, given that it is a fishing vessel, but also known to be armed, it would make a good Privateer. Plus, creative interpretation on the part of Firaxis could give it a mightier punch.

However, given that it is a fishing vessel, but also known to be armed, it would make a good Privateer. Plus, creative interpretation on the part of Firaxis could give it a mightier punch.

It's a 13 ton fishing vessel. You need to be REALLY creative to make that into a ship that can plunder a port.

Top Bottom