Betting and Speculation - The "Entirely Separate Hypercube" Civ!

India's new UA: Nukes in the beginning of the game. Nuking units provides extra culture.

Cube 2: Hypercube is a 2002 Canadian psychological thriller/horror film and the sequel to the psychological thriller/horror film Cube.

QED

Not only would it go against the alphabetical order of the nine new civs for the BNW acheivments (A-P have been accounted for), but Quebec City has still been seen as a city-state.

Here is my stab at the Hypercube, sorry if any of this has been said - I read this thread this morning and thought all day on it :p

Native American Tribe:

UA: Cities do not produce culture borders, all units heal +15hp per turn unless they are within the borders of an enemy civ. Starts with Open Borders with all civs, cities can mutually work tiles within the borders of other civs. Receive increased science spillover from trade routes.

UU1: Unique Worker (using Feitoria style mechanic) Tile improvements to bonus resources built by your workers provide a slightly increased bonus for 30 turns (not affected by enemy units on the tile). Improvements can be renewed after 30 turns.

UU2: Axeman. Stronger than the warrior. No movement penalties.

Simple rationale: Many native tribes lived off the land and had little regard for land ownership. The bonuses would be purely to survive starvation if invaded.

This would actually be really cool to play as, and would certainly be a 'pro civ'!

If it's mobile cities then they would have to become permanent after a certain age, what about wonders, buildings, improvements?

One possibility: Early improvements could have their "mobile" equivalents but once you got to a population level above 2 or 3, or created a monument, you'd likely have to plant the camp in one spot and it would convert to being a normal city.

Another possibility and what would make it particularly interesting to me is this idea: a mobile camp culture, buffalo dependent as a primary resource, that has to follow herds of migrating buffalo that moved perhaps one hex per turn in a random (or not so random) direction - say towards the nearest water. The mobile camp would follow the resource that nourished it.

Once you took up agriculture or monument making, you'd pretty much have to settle down, but until then, your camps could roam the country looking for the best possible places to settle.

One possibility: Early improvements could have their "mobile" equivalents but once you got to a population level above 2 or 3, or created a monument, you'd likely have to plant the camp in one spot and it would convert to being a normal city.

Another possibility and what would make it particularly interesting to me is this idea: a mobile camp culture, buffalo dependent as a primary resource, that has to follow herds of migrating buffalo that moved perhaps one hex per turn in a random (or not so random) direction - say towards the nearest water. The mobile camp would follow the resource that nourished it.

Once you took up agriculture or monument making, you'd pretty much have to settle down, but until then, your camps could roam the country looking for the best possible places to settle.

Only problem with that is Agriculture and "monument" making is default tech for all civs.

Only problem with that is Agriculture and "monument" making is default tech for all civs.

What I'm saying is that if you wish to plant crops or build a monument, you will have to stop roaming and plant your city.

What I envision in these mobile camps is a way to continue to roam (like a settler) except you can continue to do research, albeit with limitations since you can't build a library. Perhaps there could be some tech like a "council fire" that would allow some research credit while roaming, but the historical fact is that migratory populations seldom advance far in technology anyway.

This would actually be really cool to play as, and would certainly be a 'pro civ'!

Thanks! Yeah, it seems like it would be fun to be a shepherd of the land. Certainly would suck to get stuck in the borders of a civ you're at war with though because you couldn't heal as well. The biggest flaw with this idea though is that borders are so crucial to what you actually see on the map and for being notified when something enters your territory. Also major tile improvement trolling by other civs.. Honestly, many tribes were quite territorial so who knows if the no borders thing would be true to history but I like the thought of being able to work any tiles you feel like and just sort of shrugging off encroachment (at least until you're at war!) kind of fits as having America and the French as some of your prime rivals for border encroachment.

The axeman unit in my little theory build could easily also be a pikeman replacement adept at killing non-mounted units. That would be fun too.

Some american natives

UA: Uniting the tribes
50% chance to get a settler when conquering a barb camp

UU: Tomahawk unit
Replaces settler
St 14 melee

UB: something updating the barracks that adds culture and/or religion

The idea would be that you start with this quite strong settler replacement unit (14) and your normal warrior. You go out and find camps to conquer. somewhen you get a settler that way and can set up your first city. but even then you wont be able to build any settlers. you have to find 'tribes' to incorporate into your own.
You will be behind in tech, but you can allready build that st 14 unit that beats the :) out of barbs. Your unique barracks allows you to catch up on culture and religion while strenghtening the tomahawks at the same time. It would work very well with good scouting and the honor opener.

On large maps it would work because there is enough space for barbs to spawn. On smaller maps the first camp would be essential. afterwards you got the benefit of the strong UU. Remember you can get a free one from Liberty, plus the faster build update there :)

Here's my proposal:

The civilization can make both cities and "outposts". Cities operate normally, and they can produce both normal settlers and cheaper "outpost" settlers. Outposts look like barbarian encampments, and function like cities, only with large negative bonuses to food, culture, science and gold generation (anything but faith and production). They generate less unhappiness, and they also can only produce military units. So this civ can both expand with normal cities and also with cheap "barb-camp-cities" that continuously spawn units.

EDIT: Also, when you have some specific tech, and the outposts reach a certain population, you have the option to turn them into full fledged cities, by doing something (probably spending gold).

Great now you have me fantasizing mobile cities laying siege to noob cities that can't mobilize. XD As we know, cities is darn powerful in gods n kings.

Giving them mobility will just make ur invasion force even more powerful.

Only then, a builder's dream of great pyramids picking up it's own bricks and smashing the opposition with them.

Mobile cities only can be more funnier. I'm already amused when I imagine new york city moving around on it's own and beating up the opposition. Squish them flat with skyscrapers!

Maybe it is the New Indian UA. can work 4 hexes from a city, +100% Growth, x3 settler cost.
Maybe it is a civ that grows faster the more excesss happiness it has.
Maybe it is a civ that gets a free settler for every 2 barb camps it kills?
Maybe it is a civ that gets to move its population around freely. kind of like a migration UA, shifting perople from one city to another?
Maybe it is a civ that has 4 UB/UU and no UA?
Maybe it is a civ that earns gold from excess Food. sort of like the early farming communities that traded food.

there is no way we can know.

No. Not another Atilla please. So many good interesting peoples to choose from and they give us Atilla.

Not having read through 9 pages (guys, come on, that announcement was yesterday evening!), am I right that these suggestions have been brought up:

1) Only naval cities for Venice, not land settler unit available.
2) Mobile cities for a Native American Tribe.
3) Other form of mobility for a native American Tribe, i.e. movable ressources or incorporating barbarians into your battle plan.

I can't see much else. Since it however is supposed to be so outside the box it's outside the outside of a box, it will be something different ;)

I think it's already been said, a civilization that can produce / buy UU or UB from other civilizations.

I think it's already been said, a civilization that can produce / buy UU or UB from other civilizations.

God damn that's ten times worse than the random names the Huns get.
It's also redundant as military city states spawn UU.

Maybe we can design Our own custom civ. pick 1 UA and 2 UB/UU/UI from any civ we want. Totally broken of course.

Could also be something simple like no UU and 2UB

God damn that's ten times worse than the random names the Huns get.
It's also redundant as military city states spawn UU.

Well, it does not seem that bad. Something like if you have a trade route with Russia you can buy the Cossacks.

Top Bottom