Rubber and Coal Question...

SinisterDeath

Pure Quality
If you have jungle that is stopping your cities from growing or forest, and you chop it down, what happens if that is where rubber or coal was supposed to spawn there? AFAIK, I've heard from people that it won't appear on the map because the jugle/forest is gone and there is only grassland, and since grassland doesn't give rubber/coal, you don't get any.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Also, what happens if you reforest? Will it appear on your next turn if you forested the right spot, or is it gone forever?

Any strategies on how to make your cities productive if you start in the middle of the jungle and want good cities, but to also keep the possibility of rubber/coal?

Resources appear according to the original nature of the land. Therefore you can remove all jungle and still obtain rubber or coal.
Conversely, a grassland that was originally covered by jungle will never yield horses.

I had heard that when you get the tech that makes the rubber or jungle appear, that if the square it is supposed to appear on is NOT covered by the jungle/forest, then you don't get it. However, obviously after the resource appears you can chop it down with no harm.

Anyone else know anything about this? Any of the moderators?

Your question was already answered. All resources are in set positions when the map is generated. If you chop down the jungle *it doesn't matter*. If rubber was supposed to appear there, it will. That simple.

OK then...but the reason I asked for clarification was because I've heard the complete opposite, which was that the jungle had to be there when you got the tech to see it.

Can anyone else confirm this please? I'm too lazy to test it on a map myself.

You heard wrong. The original resources are all on the map at the beginning of the game even though you don't see them until you develop the necessary tech. Chopping down, irrigating, etc. don't change that.
3 times enough? :)

Originally posted by SinisterDeath
I guess so, but the question is...who did you hear it from? :)

Just wait until you see oil on grasslands (from cutting down marshes). For the *fourth* time, the map is generated with all of the resources already on it. They just don't appear until you research the tech for it. Therefore, even if you cut down a jungle that *will have* a rubber on it once you research the tech, the rubber still apears. Reforesting doesn't affect anything. The forest you planted won't have rubber appear on it because that forest was not generated by the map generator.

Who did I hear it from? Nobody, it's just a nature of the game. Thats how it works. Convinced?

I guess so, but the question is...who did you hear it from? :)
You're getting close to being annoying about this.
If you don't believe the people who've taken time to answer your question, take your time to search through the forums - you'll find the same question asked pretty frequently and always with the same answer.

No one needs to 'hear' it from anyone - expierenced players have 'seen' it with their own eyes.

I agree with willbill on this one - no one on the forum is required to produce 'evidence or proof' because you asked a question, this is a 'game' forum not a court of law - if you have doubts research it yourself.

Ision

Just found Uranium on grasslands. Proof enough?

One more thing: There are ressources that respawn - but if they respawn, only on the fitting terrain type.

But you will not lose rubber e.g. if you chop down jungles, even if this is rather strange to have rubber without rubber trees. :)

Well then...seems some of you are a little testy in here. Do you think I'd ask that many times for clarification to annoy you? Or are you more reasonable, and think that maybe I was asking 4 times because I heard the opposite? It's just like that telephone operator game you play when you are 5 years old. The message "The dog smells bad" turns to "My soccer ball can fly me into outerspace without an oxygen supply.", by the time it's been whispered to 5 different people.

Bottom line is this : I really do appreciate all your answers, especially from those that I annoyed. But keep in mind (and I'm sure you've seen it yourself), I've seen threads with questions that have been incorrectly answered, which is then seconded by someone else, only to have the 10th person to reply tell everyone in the thread that the information that the previous 9 people gave was incorrect.

Hopefully you understand why I wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

EDIT: Forgot something.

Just thought i'd mention that even if a resource is there, it might not appear right away. See, even though they're all on the map, they aren't all there necessarily, depending on the number of players on the map. On a huge map, there may be a lot of say, coal, but not all of it shows up because of the number of players.

Just a question about resources disappearing.

If all the the jungle on the map has been chopped away and my only rubber disappears, will a new source show up on what used to be rubber?

Originally posted by Hunter Noventa
Just thought i'd mention that even if a resource is there, it might not appear right away. See, even though they're all on the map, they aren't all there necessarily, depending on the number of players on the map. On a huge map, there may be a lot of say, coal, but not all of it shows up because of the number of players.

No, no, no, no, no! Are you trying to confuse the dude that asked the question to start with even more? Besides, that is not true anyway. It doesn't even make sense.

Well then...seems some of you are a little testy in here. Do you think I'd ask that many times for clarification to annoy you?

First of all, you are the only one being 'a little testy in here'. Second of all, it is against the rules of the forum to purposefully post inaccurate information. What, you think we would all PM each other and come up with a plan to fool SinisterDeath by telling him something thats not true. No. Most of the information given by people here is true.

@ denyd - no, it won't. Which means it's good to leave a few of those terrain features where resources spawn scattered around.

@ SinisterDeath - not a problem, glad you got your answer. I think you'll find that when you ask a question about the workings of the game, you're pretty likely to get the correct answer. Not 100% of the time, maybe, but a wrong answer will be corrected pretty quickly.
Questions about strategy, OTOH, are open to a lot of variables - the player's "style", difficulty level, etc. Usually there's not a right answer to these questions and you have to pick and choose the advice you find useful.
But you're right about one thing. In the last few months we've had a lot of new posters (a good thing) who sometimes jump in with wrong answers (a bad thing). They're usually corrected, though.

I've heard that Rubber, like Horses, are renewable resources and never disappear on you. Where they start, they stay. Coal, OTOH, does run out, and pops up somewhere else.

I've seen coal, iron, aluminum & saltpeter run out, but not horses, uranium, oil or rubber (at least not yet). I've played 40-50 games to refining and 25+ to fission, so it's possible that it's just a RNG thing for those later game resources.

I also noticed that bonus & luxury resources never run out. Strange that iron can run out but not gold.

I've also heard that an unconnected resource is not subject to running out (is this true?)

Originally posted by civ_steve
I've heard that Rubber, like Horses, are renewable resources and never disappear on you. Where they start, they stay. Coal, OTOH, does run out, and pops up somewhere else.

Renewable resources: all bonus resources, all luxury resources, and horses

Unrenewable: iron, saltpeter, coal, rubber, oil, alluminum, and uranium.

I have had all unrenewable resources disappear on me, at some time or another. All strategic resources are unrenewable, except horses, so you heard wrong.

Yes, the resources can pop up somewhere else right after they are depleted. Also sometimes (out of sheer luck), if you don't have a resource, say Iron, for example, it may pop up in your territory. This (I think, I'm not positive) is because another iron just depleted somewhere else in the world. Someone correct me on this if I am not correct.

Top Bottom