College Football In Season Thread

He was good at scoring points....certainly an excellent Xs and Os guy. I wouldn't say he was great at things like "developing an offensive line", or "stopping other people from scoring points"

No, I don't think that's ever been claimed of him. So again, a good fit for the NFL, Pac-12 or Big XII . . .

EDIT: Having said that, I did think that was what made it interesting having him in the SEC, and I'm sorry to see him go . . .

EDIT EDIT: Really nitpicking here, but "stopping other people from scoring points" is an Xs and Os thing, just not his sort of Xs and Os thing . . .

No, I don't think that's ever been claimed of him. So again, a good fit for the NFL, Pac-12 or Big XII . . .

EDIT: Having said that, I did think that was what made it interesting having him in the SEC, and I'm sorry to see him go . . .

EDIT EDIT: Really nitpicking here, but "stopping other people from scoring points" is an Xs and Os thing, just not his sort of Xs and Os thing . . .

Petrino burned his NFL bridges when he left the Failclowns as a coward and quitter.

I don't see a lot of colleges willing to touch him given the scandal. If he pulls something like that at his next job, they'll get destroyed in the resulting lawsuits for hiring someone with that kind of history.

Of course, maybe he can land in Conference USA like some of the other disgraced coaches.

Petrino made Arkansas relevant in one of the stronger conferences in college football history. That's saying something. Just because he isn't a very good human being doesn't mean he's not a legit coach. He should go to Middle Tennessee State or something and just...stay there. Or go to Arkansas State when Arky inevitably hires Malzahn.

He's not going back to the NFL after what he did in Atlanta. He's not getting a HC job at a major school after what he did in Arkansas. He has shown himself unable to deal with the responsibilities of either position. The best he can hope for is OC of a major college program or HC of a middle tier, desperate college program with absolutely nothing to lose.

I think you're exaggerating the degree to which he burnt his NFL bridges, but meh . . .

What locker room is going to buy into Petrino? How do you sell Petrino to a fanbase as an NFL owner?

Current frontrunner in BCS talks: seeded 4 team playoff with all three games played at neutral sites, no requirement that the four teams win their conference. Linky.
I preferred the on campus model for the semifinal games, but this article points out a problem I hadn't considered, namely that many legitimate contenders for the top four spots in recent years don't really have stadiums and/or hometowns that could support a game of that magnitude. Apparently they're leaning towards bidding the games out rather than using a set rotation among existing bowls.
Of course, none of this really means too much as far as what will ultimately happen, but I do so miss football right now . . .

So, I write for SB Nation now. Here's my debt piece for Off Tackle Empire (the website's B1G website) http://www.offtackleempire.com/2012...he-ro-tel-queso-bowl-is-all-sewn-up#storyjump

I don't really buy the logistical reasons. How big is an NFL stadium...only 50,000 people right? Those college towns have enough hotel rooms to handle the 90,000+ people who show up to games, so why not for a semi? You're going to sell a lot more tickets in places like Ann Arbor and Lincoln than you are in Detroit.

You're going to sell a lot more tickets in places like Ann Arbor and Lincoln than you are in Detroit.

Maybe that's the problem :dunno:

But all I said was that this consideration hadn't occurred to me before, not that I was behind it as a good reason to stick with neutral sites. To me what it says is that they're looking at this as more of a corporate-style event like the Super Bowl rather than a more fan-centric event like the conference title games.

Thinking about Alabama's last two appearances in the BCS title game, the Sugar Bowl hosted game had the feel of a 'normal' college game since the bulk of the tickets that weren't allotted to the schools still went to LSU fans there in Louisiana, but the Rose Bowl hosted game seemed to have more of a Super Bowl like atmosphere, with the locally sold tickets not necessarily going to the normal travelling parties of either team . . .

Alabama sends two in the top ten & four in the first round for the second straight year. Including LSU's Claiborne and Brockers, that's five defensive starters from this year's BCS title game gone in round 1 . . .

Another interesting idea out of the Hollywood meetings today: Keep the bowls, but instead of rotating the semifinals among them, the higher seeded conference team would host the semifinal in its 'home' bowl (Big Ten or Pac-12 teams would host in the Rose, SEC in the Sugar, etc.). I'm not sure how much home field advantage would really apply, but the real benefit here is that it would keep the Rose, Big Ten and Pac-12 happy, removing the main stumbling blocks to progress.

Also, Upshaw to Baltimore and Taylor to San Diego makes seven defensive starters from the BCS title game gone in the first three rounds. That's more than half of the thirteen who are draft eligible this year, for those of you keeping score at home . . .

EDIT: Oh, in other news South Carolina was hit with 'failure to monitor'. But really, it's South Carolina, who cares?

EDIT: Jerrell Harris, Alabama's only undrafted draft eligible starter from the title game, signed a FA deal with the Falcons. LSU's undrafted guys weren't quite as lucky, with Ryan Baker, Stefoin Francois and Kendrick Adams all unattached to teams at the moment. I'd still be surprised if at least the first two of those guys didn't get at least a look.

Without even reading the post, 100% for it. All sports can learn from each other, and this is something that American sport sorely needs. Lots of hangers on in every professional league, major college conference, etc. that don't contribute anything, but benefit by association . . .

Without even reading the post, 100% for it. All sports can learn from each other, and this is something that American sport sorely needs. Lots of hangers on in every professional league, major college conference, etc. that don't contribute anything, but benefit by association . . .
Its too bad that its pretty much impossible to do for anything other than college football, since our minor league teams aren't really independent.

The Washington States and Dukes of college football would never agree to it.

Which is too bad, since playing a majority of CUSA teams would be the best thing in the world for Duke football

The MWC and CUSA have ambitions to usurp the Big East, or at least win an AQ status. Why would they want to become a feeder league?

I also can't see the B1G voting to basically kick a member out. Ever. We aren't the Big East damn it.

Top Bottom