How to handle foreign religions?

Fanny Brice

Prince
In my current game I was too late to found my own religion. Funny... i got a great profit, but all he could do was create an on-map shrine, poor guy.

So, later in the game, pretty much the entire continent follows the religion of one of my neighbors. Good for cultural conversion. I also hold the capital of one of the eliminated civs that is a holy city. I still have it as a puppet.

General question -- is there any way to tell what are the benefits to my own civ of the foreign religion? I don't see any map benefits... like culture from pastures, etc.

I suppose I have the option of annexing this other holy city and spreading the religion based there. But, same question -- how do I tell what the benefits of it are?

Go to the religion overview (click on faith stored/per turn) and go to World Religions. It lists the beliefs of all religions. The ones that say Follower apply to everyone who follows it, the other ones don't.

You also get the pantheon belief for that religion. Also, certain Reformation beliefs are effectively follower beliefs (e.g., Jesuit Education).

Generally speaking you shouldn't spread another civ's religion. The benefits for mass following is usually found in the founder belief, and will only benefit the founder. Since you control the holy City you can try and pass the religion as world religion and you'll see increased tourism in the Holy City.

Top Bottom