The Freelands of Nunavut: Inuit civilization (Igloo UI, terrain rebalancing, ect)

windiz

Chieftain
Hi everybody,

I'm happy to introduce you my Inuit nation mod. There are some others around, but this one is really groundbreaking ;).
It will bring you very new civ experience!

This nation is designed to settle only "arctic" regions and get best out of it. Especially because you can build igloos on snow! Don't even try to settle elsewhere.
So far, I would call it beta. Thanks for testing and collaboration.

You will have a great advantage on maps like ice age and you will have a serious handicap on maps without tundra and snow or without wide coastal lines.
I'm not absolutely sure about balance, but you have chances with almost all playing strategies.

Leader: Kiviuq

UA Fertility :c5food: rebalanced: plains and grassland regions are junk for you (+1 production :c5production: on tundra tiles without forest and food penalties on plains, grasslands and some southern resources). +1 :c5faith: faith from snow tiles and +1 :c5culture: culture from most animals. Coastal cities recieve +1 :c5happy: happiness.

UU Sled dogs. Weak exploration unit with double movement on snow. Has special defense and attack bonuses in native regions. Replaces chariot Archer, upgradable to horseman. Available at Trapping.

UI Igloo. Might be built by workers on snow. Provides +1 :c5food: food ( additional +1 :c5food: with civil service) and +1 :c5culture: culture for flat terrain or +2 :c5production: production on hills. Additional +1 :c5gold: gold if adjacentred to city. +1 science with plastics. Additional +1 :c5science: science with Free thought policy and +1 :c5gold: gold with complete mercantile policy thread. Available at mining.

Issues:
  • Yield changes only when you settle your town (special building), so you may be tricked with yield icons on screen. So, AI can't play really efficiently for this nation for the time being.
  • I was struggling hard to get nice sled dog 3d model into this game, but the best I can do is modified texture for cow chariot model extracted from Beyond the sword scenario by Wolfdog. Yes, these dogs have horns and look like cows. But let's say it's special Inuit armor ;)
  • Your first settler may appear far away from polar regions if all the best places are settle by other nations - lua files should be modified (there are no snow region to assign starting position).

I would highly recommend you to use it in bundle with my Nord resources mod (+ 2 bonus and +3 luxury resources for arctic regions).

Plans:
  • Dogs without horns
  • Unique soundtrack

Polynesia DLC and G&K are required, optimised for BNW.
SpecialThanks: Barathor and Tomatekh for some graphics elements (sled dog and nation icons), tystero49 for the first attempt to introduce this nation to Civ 5. Wolfdog for unit model (taken from a Civ IV: Firaxis Beyond the Sword scenario).

Attachments

• Inuit beta.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 435
The art for this on face value looks insanely good. However the wording for the actual UA seems not so much confusing, but rather really poorly worded. I also feel that this might be really restrictive to play as, but I can't tell for sure until I actually install it - which I plan on doing as soon as I'm able.

(Also, AFAIK, I think the GoT mod has some Direwolves in it that could be utlized as a model for your sled dogs - who in my opinion should be a Scout replacement)

I guess that actual 3d model for dogs need some modifications - I'm actually able to make it in Blender (there is no pain to remove horns and fit cows to look like actual husky dogs), but imported model with animation just doesn't work ingame (I'm new to .gr2 format)...
Any help with texts is appreciated. I agree, some of the descriptions seems to look awkward). There are so many changes with terrain output and too little space in description field...
Inuit chariot archer sounds really absurd and as far as sled dogs are upgradable to horseman while they quite effective and fast within snow enviroment, I think that actual replacement is more than reasonable. Besides, their combat power and ability for ranged attack are very delicate matter for balancing.

SpecialThanks: Barathor and trystero49 for some graphics elements (sled dogs icon and nation emblem), or someone else who made it.

The civ icon from tystero49's mod was made by Tomatekh. Barathor made the sled dog icon. I don't believe you actually use any art elements made by tystero49 but I would keep his credit in there anyway because of his original mod.

Any thoughts about balance?

For the next update I've decided that:
  • Food bonus for igloo will be replaced from Civil Service discovery to Iron working (it has historical justification).
  • No science bonus on igloo upon Plastics discovery
I'm also thinking about some other culture and production limitations on tundra tiles 'cause it was quite easy for me to make this nation a scientific and cultural superpower with Goddess of Hunt pantheon and Tradition strategy on Immortal even without any additional resources..

Played a few games and golly is this hard to play as. It's also a bit odd that the in-game colour of the civ doesn't match the icon too. I also think that you should probably make some variations for the Igloo model and allow the UI to be built on Tundra. Another idea is to have it be buildable by scouts and not allow them to be adjacent to each other ala the Chateau.

Played a few games and golly is this hard to play as. It's also a bit odd that the in-game colour of the civ doesn't match the icon too. I also think that you should probably make some variations for the Igloo model and allow the UI to be built on Tundra. Another idea is to have it be buildable by scouts and not allow them to be adjacent to each other ala the Chateau.

Thanks a lot for your opinion! Indeed, I should harmonize the nation's colors. I guess that we should grant ability to build igloo to sled dogs (and gift one in the very start of the game instead of warrior) but I can't imagine any tundra UI which could be historical and balanced enough. Probably... Some kind of special improvement to be built on deer resource only ('cause most of northern nations like inuits really depend on deers) or just boost its food production (and eliminate culture bonus).

I was talking about the Igloo being available to be built on tundra.

I also really feel as if their ability to create thriving cities is hampered, and perhaps need way more bonuses to justify them not leaving tundra zones.

Hey there, do you have the original PSD file for your map? We'd love to use it.

Looks good. I hope you don't mind me giving suggestions.

Change the UA name to something Inuit related or at least something that sounds more interesting. "A Thousand Names of Snow" or something else would do.

I don't know if it's possible but land units walking on Ice tiles would be really unique. And while they're at it, maybe lose the defensive penalty on ice and open snow/tundra?

Top Bottom