THE Noble's Club Bullpen, MK II

This Friday (16th) will be Peter, EXP/PHI. Since he's one of the easiest leaders with which to do a One City Challenge I plan to edit the map to encourage Nobles to try an OCC. The scenario will be set with OCC off, so the default is a normal game.

"Edit the map" basically means the starting location will be better than the RNG would generate, that some critical resources will be in the first few rings, but there will still be a need and opportunity to trade for other resources. The defensive position will be good (since it's hard to build lots of troops). I'll try not to overdo it (a tendency I've shown in the past sometimes).

Also I'll select the opponents; a couple of moderate warmongers but no kill-crazies, plus some extra AIs to crowd their territory to compensate for the player having only one city.

It will still be eminently playable without OCC, since OCC is a specialized taste (thus there will still be a few reasonable sites for subsequent cities).

I plan to make a real effort to play this one through despite my recent heightened problems with RSI, since I've wanted to do it for a long time, and (selfishly) having the NC around to critique me would be a big help over going it alone, as would other people trying the same map.

I know about the separate OCC series; that actually appears to have been inspired by a thread I created months ago when first considering doing an OCC with Peter.

One very picky detail: given this is for newbies, how important is it that the city be within the right distance of the equator to allow the space elevator? I figured it might be important for an OCC to have the choice even though the Elevator is often not worth it in a normal game. With more energy I could probably calculate how many hammers it saves in constructing all the spaceship parts versus the cost to build it directly.

hmm I kind of don't like special games like OCC, will be interresting to read about it.
Since you plan it to make it so easy, i could actually try it on emperor to see how it goes without fin. and would be my second game on emperor.

Looking for it for sure!

Bah, I'm still not done with Justinian, since I haven't gotten back to the game since last Thursday. Maybe tonight I'll play a bit...

I doubt I'll play as a OCC myself, but maybe I'll change my mind by the weekend.

I'll try OCC, but almost never build the space elevator. Putting it near the equator means jungle around, which slows the early game, but tends to make gems and bananas more likely. As far as 'too easy' goes, I'd suggest avoiding putting an enemy capital within easy rush distance. Destroying Saladin early in the Justinian game gave everyone loads of rexxing room, and pretty much locked in the win.

Of course for a OCC having an enemy capital nearby increases the challenge, as you'll get into a culture war early and look like a tempting target. And that might be fun. So... um...

Yeah, do as you will. :D I'll play the Monarch save at Prince level with a OCC regardless.

*still needs to write up Justinian report*

Actually as I don't run the series and have not for a while, feel free to flat-out copy/paste the thing over.

Also, if you have not used Sid yet, maybe you have 1 more leader before the next rotation ;).

I'd start a new thread, and just link back to the Mark II Bullpen on the first post for those seeking earlier games.

The other thing that might be worth doing is mixing things up a bit. Change the world size. Go with some of the less used scripts (I know I liked Justinian with Inland Sea and Darius with Great Plains).

I'm not sure how much action there will be here once Civ 5 comes out, but keeping it fresh will help.

I have just started in these. Great tool! A new thread is preferrable.

Will you update the first post to include the NCs after Sury but before the forking of the second thread? Makes life easier for downloady goodness. :D

Top Bottom