March Patch Notes (formerly february)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways, imagine getting changes that nobody wanted (i.e. nobody ever made such changes into a mod). That would be definitely worse. You should be impressed that they actually monitor and listen and implement "wanted" changes. Obviously as PieceofMind said, we will recognize some of these from mods.
To put it simply, I'd rather see changes that are inspired or outright ripped from mods than see no changes at all, or even changes that go against what every modder has been suggesting for the game. (EDIT oops, sort of cross posted with Bibor)

I agree with that, but I guess my negative feelings come from the fact that modders quickly and easily found these issues and created solutions to them shortly after the game was released....it just boggles my mind that professional game designers couldn't figure out stuff like this on their own before the release date.

Like I said, I think most of the changes are moves in the right direction and I am actually surprised that they've made such a drastic changes to their initial balance settings.

Overall, some very powerful changes. It looks as if production bonuses will speed things up in the early game, while tech costs will extend the game. This appears to be an excellent patch, but the proof is in the pudding.

Yes but a date? I didn't see one, so I was wondering if I just missed it.

Ah, another interesting info from Greg:
2K Greg said:
PieceOfMind said:
2K Greg,

There have been a huge number of changes to the core gameplay rules since release. Can you confirm whether or not any of the documentation (whether that be the manual or the pedia) will ever be updated to reflect the completely changed game? At some point I'm going to come back to playing this game and it's going to be painful learning everything from scratch, having to check with members of this or other forums.

I look forward to seeing patch notes one day that say:
-Documentation updated.
I have your answer! The manual is in the process of being updated with all of the latest changes. It might not release with this patch but we should have an updated version before long.

The Civilopedia is being updated as we work on the game. It's not in the patch notes because it's a series of tiny fixes and changes as reported by QA, but it definitely has been updated.

Yes but a date? I didn't see one, so I was wondering if I just missed it.
Knowing Firaxis/2K, I wouldn't get your hopes up about a more specific ETA. At least this ETA is less than 2 weeks. Normally they don't give an ETA at all unless they're fairly certain. (the exception being 2K Greg's steam faq thread from last year ;))

You can also be fairly sure it'll be a weekday as usual, if that helps.

Ah, another interesting info from Greg:

Knowing Firaxis/2K, I wouldn't get your hopes up about a more specific ETA. At least this ETA is less than 2 weeks. Normally they don't give an ETA at all unless they're fairly certain. (the exception being 2K Greg's steam faq thread from last year ;))

You can also be fairly sure it'll be a weekday as usual, if that helps.

Yeah you're probably right no specific ETA, but patch ≥ 2 weeks still goood

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they've done a lot with the AI, which is a bone of contention for me personally. It's good to see that I won't show up to an AI's doorstep to find 20 AA units against my mech infantry.

Avoid cascades of denunciations against a single player. AI now uses its own current friendliness level with a given power to determine how much weight to place on a denunciation against that power.
Denunciations expire after 50 turns
Declarations of Friendship expire after 50 turns

Me likey

Can now use DLC civilizations in multiplayer

Me especially likey

Aqueduct added (entirely new building). 40% of Food is carried over after a new Citizen is born.

Me really, really likey

However,
Don't allow CSs to build Manhattan Project

Me NOT likey :mad:

Actually, could they build nukes before or just the project? I kinda liked the idea of rogue city-states.

Civic changes seem interesting.

See, I knew they still loved us!

First off: First post here in a few months. :lol:

There's some great looking changes to gameplay in there.

Some vague references to addressing multiplayer and turn time issues. Looks like the major multiplayer patch (with pbem, hotseat, pitboss) is still to come. Whether turn times will be "significantly" reduced with this patch will remain to be seen.

This patch appears to take a lot of inspiration from Valkrionn's economy mod (not surprising if he's still in the Frankenstein team), and also makes many changes to counter the ICS strategy and make the "tall empire" strat more favourable in comparison. Of course Dennis only describes this as bringing them in better "balance".

I didn't see much mention of fixing crashes.

There are quite a number of mods now that just about any balance change will look like it's directly ripped from one of them.

Besides, as I said already, Valk is on the Franky team providing feedback straight to the devs. It should come as no surprise if the content of his mod or other mods that mod the game in a similar way appear to be going straight into patches. Most modders I'd imagine would be happy to see their ideas get into the game.

Always interesting to see myself mentioned... But, I can say with total confidence that I didn't have much to do with the balance adjustments.

I did spend quite some time working on a UI mod (new GP info panel; Think the GP bar from Civ4's BUG mod, on steroids), but I'mg going to be releasing that shortly after the patch.

Quick screenshot:
Spoiler :

•Scaled up tech costs throughout the game (slight change for early eras; close to double for Modern)

Woohoo! Now I can stop complaining about them adding in tech overflow without accompanied increased in tech costs.

First off: First post here in a few months. :lol:

Always interesting to see myself mentioned... But, I can say with total confidence that I didn't have much to do with the balance adjustments.

I did spend quite some time working on a UI mod (new GP info panel; Think the GP bar from Civ4's BUG mod, on steroids), but I'mg going to be releasing that shortly after the patch.

Quick screenshot:
Spoiler :

I'm guilty of neglecting to mention Thal's mods. I still think some credit goes to econ mod - e.g. buildings modified by resources.

Is TMIT still on the team, by the way?

The mod you're working on looks spiffy.

Buccaneer said:
Woohoo! Now I can stop complaining about them adding in tech overflow without accompanied increased in tech costs.
He he, good point. Now we're both happy. :)

yes, it looks like a great set of changes! :)

Some of them were of a quite obvious need to me, for example the very fast teching in later eras.

I'm really looking forward to this patch!

I don't care if many of these ideas are available in present mods or not. I just want a good (official) game. Well, first I thought, that it may be a little bit unfortunate for the modders, because their mods probably won't be needed in the future anymore, and therefore their effort is somewhat "wasted". On the other hand, what reward could be bigger to a modder, than having his/her ideas in the vanilla version?

So yeah, thumbs up from me! :goodjob:

I thought that may have been the case. No worries.

To put it simply, I'd rather see changes that are inspired or outright ripped from mods than see no changes at all, or even changes that go against what every modder has been suggesting for the game. (EDIT oops, sort of cross posted with Bibor)

Wasn't that how many of Civ4's patch changes came to be?

Well, first I thought, that it may be a little bit unfortunate for the modders, because their mods probably won't be needed in the future anymore, and therefore their effort is somewhat "wasted".

The mods that they took these ideas from include a tons of other changes so I don't think these few things they took from them makes them useless. They do need to reasses their whole balance thing based on the new stuff (golden ages, workshops and other buildings).

I'm guilty of neglecting to mention Thal's mods. I still think some credit goes to econ mod - e.g. buildings modified by resources.

Is TMIT still on the team, by the way?

The mod you're working on looks spiffy.

He he, good point. Now we're both happy. :)

I'm not sure what I can and cannot say about Franky, so I'll just refrain from saying anything this time. :lol:

And not working on; Done. Been done for... 3 weeks now. Just never released, didn't want to spend time updating it after the patch. :lol:

May end up updating my modcomps, Dark Ages and LuxuryHappiness, too....

Well, at least they fixed some stuff correctly.

I cannot believe they completely skipped over possibly the biggest bug in the game though: The fact that the AI constantly gets human Chieftain level happiness and other bonuses regardless of settings.

They also really skipped over a lot of basic bug issues such as the fact that players can sell a luxury to the AI, pillage the tile, rebuild, and resell to the same AI for unlimited cash flow.

A step in the right direction, but one that leaves me far from impressed. As others have mentioned, some individual modders have accomplished more between patches than their professional counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom