[Speculation] Italian States/Papal States/Venice

The thing they could do with Italy is that their Great Works are more effective. That way they wouldn't collide with Brazil and their UA.
It would also make the two distinct enough:
Brazil: Lots of Great Artists= quantity
Italy: Fewer, but superior Great Artists= quality

If Italy becomes a new civilization, the leader should be Benito Mussolini. He is so controversial as Mao and Stalin, and is still related to the totalitarian ideology. But even then I think they should put other civilizations ... (Sorry, my english is mediocre, I know)

Exluding the fact that if we have Sweden and Poland we can and we should have Italy, Mussolini as a leader would be a disgrace (and borderline criminal here).

It would make sense to have a leader from the unification period, such as Vittorio Emanuele II, Cavour, or Garibaldi, a UU from ww2 like partisans and a UB from renaissance which should boost culture or tourism

Berlusconi anyone? :crazyeye:

Garibaldi or Cavour would be the most obvious leader choices for a post-unification Italy. Though I think I would prefer a Renaissance Italy, perhaps headed by Lorenzo the Magnificent - you would solve the issue of the capital this way, although it might be a bit weird to have a group of City-States which were never really united in the Renaissance period as one Civ.

Berlusconi anyone? :crazyeye:

Garibaldi or Cavour would be the most obvious leader choices for a post-unification Italy. Though I think I would prefer a Renaissance Italy, perhaps headed by Lorenzo the Magnificent - you would solve the issue of the capital this way, although it might be a bit weird to have a group of City-States which were never really united in the Renaissance period as one Civ.
As said before in multiple threads, no worse than the squabbling Greek City-States!

I much rather see a Renaissance Era leader as well; Lorenzo de Medici would work best with the Great Works theme IMHO.

^ I agree.

They seem increasingly plausible, and I think if we have to have another European Civ as well as Poland and (presumably) Portugal, I'd rather Italy than any of the other options.

I recently had an interesting idea for an Italian UU. Firaxis gave Brazil a WW2 unit, despite there being other options, and that made me think that they might want to include more late era UUs.
With Italy there is the obvious choice of the Bersaglieri and here I remembered something that Italy was pretty famous for: Frogmen or combat divers.
They could function as a marine replacement with the added bonus of becoming invisible to enemies when they enter a water tile (like subs only spotable by destroyers), along with that they should get a bonus against enemy ships when attacking. They should be weaker against ships then subs and more easily killable, but that way Italy might have a truly unique Marine anti-ship UU.

What do you think guys?

Italian civ in brave new world is very good idea....

version 1
Leader "Lorenzo il Magnifico" Capital Firenze
Bonus in renaissence era gain free greet artist every tecnology
Special unit mercenaies (meele 16, cost no hammer, gold)

version 2
Leader "Benito Mussolini" capital ROMA
Bonus +2 gold +1 hammer from courthouse
Special Unit "Alpini" can stay or accros montain as Hills (same as infantry or great war)

Frogmen would be utterly awesome XD
But not many know that italians were pioneers in that field.

I'd say this is another reason to add them. People will find out that Italy was a pioneer in that field and I think it would be a truly unique unit.
My only fear is that marines come so late in the tech-tree, maybe it could be modified that Italy gets their Marine UU at an earlier tech.
My new concept for Italy:

Leader: Lorenzo Medici
UA: Home of the Renaissance: Great Works priduce double tourism.
UU: Frogman
UB: Piazza, market replacement that yields :c5culture:

I'd say this is another reason to add them. People will find out that Italy was a pioneer in that field and I think it would be a truly unique unit.
My only fear is that marines come so late in the tech-tree, maybe it could be modified that Italy gets their Marine UU at an earlier tech.
My new concept for Italy:

Leader: Lorenzo Medici
UA: Home of the Renaissance: Great Works priduce double tourism.
UU: Frogman
UB: Piazza, market replacement that yields :c5culture:

No offense but i really hope they'll do something more interesting than that,
I also don't see why you would give them a modern UU when you cuite specifically wanted a medieval/renaissance Civ

The thing they could do with Italy is that their Great Works are more effective. That way they wouldn't collide with Brazil and their UA.
It would also make the two distinct enough:
Brazil: Lots of Great Artists= quantity
Italy: Fewer, but superior Great Artists= quality
When I did Portugal over in this thread that's oddly ignored despite being about a popular topic, I proposed a "Gret Explorers" ability that enhanced Great Merchants so that they could either build a feitoria (which was a souped-up Customs House) or they could perform two trade missions instead of just one. Other stuff too, but the gist here is that maybe that idea could be minded for Italy, allowing its "great minds" to create multiple great works before being consumed.

The problem, of course, is that we're desperately short on information on how these guys work, or even what to call them collectively. We don't know how they're generated, or why the musician has a little violin icon. I'm sure we can speculate some new UA's after the next wave of info. Apparently, we have to be diligent about searching websites in every known language.

Did anyone else see the borders in this picture today!?!?

Spoiler :
Japan and China's borders together look like it could be Italy's borders, right? ;)

Sukritact's idea for a pavise crossbowman has some cool graphical possibilities. Check these out:

Spoiler :

What an excellent means to capture italy's character as a hub for great artisans art and inject it straight into a UU.

Italian civ in brave new world is very good idea....

version 1
Leader "Lorenzo il Magnifico" Capital Firenze
Bonus in renaissence era gain free greet artist every tecnology
Special unit mercenaies (meele 16, cost no hammer, gold)

version 2
Leader "Benito Mussolini" capital ROMA
Bonus +2 gold +1 hammer from courthouse
Special Unit "Alpini" can stay or accros montain as Hills (same as infantry or great war)

Please stop bringing up Mussolini, seriously.

Please stop bringing up Mussolini, seriously.

This is to be expected.
There's always going to be somebody who thinks Benito or Adolf are "good" leader choices for Italy or Germany.
Despite the two being probably the archetype of a bad leader who led his civilization to ruin.
Back on Topic: I'd say if Italy is included it'll be led by somebody from the renaissance, most likely one of Medici.

Out of these two units, which one seems less broken/better?

Pavise Crossbowman:

• 13 :c5strength:
  • 15 :c5rangedstrength:
  • 2 :c5moves:
  • 2 Range
  • 120 :c5production: cost
  • 460 :c5gold: cost to purchase
  • Starts with cover 1 promotion
  • Replaces Crossbowman, only Italians may build it

Condottiere:
  • 16 :c5strength:
  • 3 :c5moves:
  • :c5gold: from defeated units
  • 25% chance that defeated enemy unit joins your side
  • 25% chance that defeated condottiere joins the enemy
  • 120 :c5production: cost
  • 500 :c5gold: cost to purchase
  • Requires horses
  • Replaces Knight, only Italians may build it

Wouldn't including Italian States as a civ sort of kill half of the purpose of having City States in the game in the first place? :undecide:

Apart from what they add to the game in terms of game-play, I think the cool thing about City States is that they make it possible to have these cool cities that were important at some point without really making it to the civilization state in the game - Pisa, Venice, Bologna, Ravenna, Milan, etc. Same thing about Jerusalem, Lhasa, etc.

I like the sound of the pavise crossbowmen more than the condottiere, although the condottiere does sound more 'unique'.

Top Bottom