Babylon overrated?

Tibbz

Chieftain
Is it just me or is babylon very overrated? (Diety)

Yes you blow through the early game techs very fast, but it really doesn't matter and just puts you closer to AI tech speed early on. On diety you will still be behind in tech.

Maybe it is just my playstyle, but playing as a civ like arabia or the mongols where you can just micro units endlessly and not lose anything while capping cities and killing tons of units is much more powerful / fun and can easily just win a dom victory pretty quickly.

Not to mention I feel like when I play babylon the AI is like hardcoded to be very aggressive against you or something - I get 80turn multi-dow'd a decent amount and have to invest lots into defense / units earlier on.

It seems like the AI will not dow you if it is sending trade caravans - so playing a civ that gives trade bonuses (AI will then prioritize sending caravans to you) is pretty huge in being able to just get by with making almost no defense and then hitting a sharp timing made powerful by building almost no units earlier and getting big captures with lots of wonders and then you just snowball.

edit: again maybe it is just my playstyle but I never do peaceful games - even when playing a civ like babylon or korea I try to use their faster tech speed to hit a strong timing with a certain unit.

[...] - even when playing a civ like babylon or korea I try to use their faster tech speed to hit a strong timing with a certain unit.

Umm, that sounds about right :lol: It's true that Babylon doesn't have a totally broken UU.

Also, it turns out tech is useful when playing peacefully too.

Yes you blow through the early game techs very fast, but it really doesn't matter and just puts you closer to AI tech speed early on. On diety you will still be behind in tech.

Yes, but you'd be 2 times as many techs behind if playing Deity and NOT playing Babylon / Korea, and so have less to go to make up for this in late game when playing Babylon / Korea.

high :c5science: science is somewhat overrated on these forums, but no, Babylon is not overrated, their ability is indeed exceptionally powerful. Just the fact they get a free Academy, basically guaranteeing a good start no matter how poor their land otherwise is, is something other civs can only dream of. Actually, Babylon is somewhat underrated because most people here think little of the Walls of Babylon unique building even though it is in fact *very* good (it costs less than walls and improves city hitpoints by a massive 100 points - double of regular Walls, a building that is already very strong as all other defensive buildings improve hitpoints by only 25). Thus, for a minor investment, Babylon's cities basically become much, much harder to take than the cities of other civs. Against the AI which fares poorly when attacking cities this is less significant but it doesn't change the fact that the UB is quite strong, making the Babylonians masters at putting high-science fortress cities all over the map if one so desires.

I have been trying desperately to get my first deity domination victory using Babylon and liberty. Its been an incredibly frustrating experience, but I have not messed with Dom victories since prince level so I still have a lot to learn. I do find that Baby gets Mass DoW'd before turn 115 quite often, but I just chalked that up to my inability to get enough gold/resources together to influence global politics effectively by that point.

I also find that having to keep my Warrior near to my city earlier to protect my Academy from pillaging barbs hamstrings my ability to steal workers from a CS.:sad:

I don't know if its me but it seems the Mongols always get much better starting positions than Civs like Babylon, Korea or Poland. Arabian starts can be hit or miss but when they hit, they hit big.

Strong archer, situational strong wall. One of the best science civ where reaching techs faster is the most important factor to finish early.

No they aren't overrated.

I have trying desperately to get my first deity domination victory using Babylon and liberty. Its been an incredibly frustrating experience, but I have not messed with Dom victories since prince level so I still have a lot to learn. I do find that Baby gets Mass DoW'd before turn 115 quite often, but I just chalked that up to my inability to get enough gold/resources together to influence global politics effectively by that point.

I also find that having to keep my Warrior near to my city earlier to protect my Academy from pillaging barbs hamstrings my ability to steal workers from a CS.:sad:

I don't know if its me but it seems the Mongols always get much better starting positions than Civs like Babylon, Korea or Poland. Arabian starts can be hit or miss but when they hit, they hit big.

You can disable start bias if you dont like Babylon starts.

If you're going for a domination victory, civs will try to kill you at some point. Just get units to defend.

Mongols actually have the same bias Poland does, they both have a Plains bias.

Arabs have a desert bias.

You can disable start bias if you dont like Babylon starts.

Actually Babylon does NOT have a starting bias (neither does Korea), you can however disable bias if you don't like Mongol's or Poland's plains bias or Arab's desert bias.

Actually, Babylon is somewhat underrated because most people here think little of the Walls of Babylon unique building even though it is in fact *very* good (it costs less than walls and improves city hitpoints by a massive 100 points - double of regular Walls, a building that is already very strong as all other defensive buildings improve hitpoints by only 25). Thus, for a minor investment, Babylon's cities basically become much, much harder to take than the cities of other civs. Against the AI which fares poorly when attacking cities this is less significant but it doesn't change the fact that the UB is quite strong, making the Babylonians masters at putting high-science fortress cities all over the map if one so desires.

I second this. My first Diety Babylon game (in-fact my first ever real Diety - the other being a Legendary Spanish Start File I downloaded from these forums....)

My 4th city was near Aztecs and an allied CityState of theirs. They DoW me and that 4th city would have been lost to the CityState if it wasn't for Walls of Babylon (the city hp actually went as low as about 20%). Basically they had pikemen coming at me and I was defending with Bowmen so I was still heavily out-teched & outnumbered to begin with.

So I rate Babylon quite highly not just from the science boost but that you get a great early ranged unit, a really good wall and a free scientist. So it really does set you up well in the period of the game where you are arguably most vulnerable. You begin a Diety game behind the AI in Science, in cities and in productivity. Getting those 3-5 cities out and keeping them safe from aggressive Civs is a challenge and Babylon gives you the tools to do that.

No, they are not. Babylon has great UB and UA and their UU is also very good. Defending your cities is very easy and early science boost makes you powerful both in early and late game.

Korea does have a "start along ocean" bias, and Babs does have "avoid tundra" in BNW (pretty sure Babs originally shipped with no bias).

Korea does have a "start along ocean" bias, and Babs does have "avoid tundra" in BNW (pretty sure Babs originally shipped with no bias).

I play on standard map size and never play on Pagena, so most of the civs are going to start coastal anyway so I don't tend to notice ocean bias.

I must have pulled up the wrong version of Babylon when checking the XML.

Because Babs never had a start bias, they didn't have a bias to correct/update in its DLC Civilizations.xml file. Instead, they put its new avoid tundra bias in in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\Civilizations\CIV5Civilizations_Expansion2.xml (presumably just to confuse everyone).

I'm not sure how a civ that has a guaranteed fast :c5science: start and a strong early UU for barb camp quests (which you can pop from ruins!) could possibly be overrated.

The only aggravating thing is that you can't do nearly as much early exploration with your Warrior as you'd like, as it has to come home several turns early to defend the Academy.

I can't say they're overrated; they live up to the hype. You get a free GS for a +8 Science academy when your total output is probably somewhere in the low double digits? Yes, please. The Bowman is damn near as strong as a Composite Bow too, and the Walls of Babylon add a lot of HP and a strength point above and beyond normal walls.

That extra strength and +50 HP above and beyond don't sound like much, but it's at a phase of the game where units are no higher than about 14 (Swordsmen). Even when you get to the Medieval era of 21 Strength Longswords, it's only another +3 to the 24 Strength Musketman. What I'm getting at here is that an extra point counts.

Oh, and the fun that the UA makes you spawn Scientists all the time, all game long? Makes the early runaway into a constant monster.

Massive early science bonus, to help you get to philosophy faster, to then buff the academy even more. Then you get to education faster and start generating (at a faster pace) even more great scientists further building you science lead. Snowballing at work. The UU and UB help you survive the early game to hit that tech advantage. Hitting the key wonders earlier than korea can prevent them from catching up.

Top Bottom