Game crashes on Gigantic in mid-Transhuman Era

Kamilian

Deity
Running into this often where my game crashes to desktop somewhere mid-Transhuman Era. I tend to play on Gigantic map size and w/ Revolutions so the original 8 or so civs by then have warred, broken up, re-conquered and such into a motley of 30 by Transhuman. Haven't played yet on Giant map size which may be more stable since it's a little smaller.

My laptop isn't the most high quality for gaming by far but it's never slow or anything and it displays all the graphics and such fine...
And even if I load the save game just a turn or two before the crash, at that point it just crashes to desktop and won't load anymore so my millenia of empire building and story building kinda wind up wasted...

Anyone run into this?

I hate to disable the Transhuman Era since the techs get pretty fun there, too, but was wondering if anyone has had this issue and any possible remedies other than smaller map size or No Revolutions since I love a good civil war..

Smaller map size is really the only thing I can think of, given that CivIV's a 32bit game it'll run into memory issues sooner or later; and the larger the map the quicker you'll run into that.

Someone more knowledgable than I might have more advice, but a smaller map (And possibly a Unit Per Tile limitation) will probably help.

Playing on Gigantic maps is literally asking for problems like these. Your only recourse is to play on a smaller map size.

Playing on Gigantic maps is literally asking for problems like these. Your only recourse is to play on a smaller map size.

Pretty much this. It's all well and good if you're playing w/o Revolutions, a handful of nations, and a small Units Per Tile limit... But it's just not something Civ was meant to handle and usually can't.

It's a cool concept, but one that's just more hassle than it's worth in the long run since we're dealing with a 32bit game engine that isn't capable of undertaking such stress.

I play Gigantic maps, at Eternity speed. I don't have the crash to desktop, but I tend to eliminate the smaller competitors.

I play with no vassals, and use a 64 Bit operating system.

But as 32 Bit game, it has its limits.

Limited units per tile, unlimited become unplayable. 30-40 good figure, stacks but no swarms.

I also space out my cities for the 3 ring usage, so limiting city spam helps.

IN my current game, I've 97 cities, but experiencing a crash out of memory, due to revolutions it seems. 2nd time its happened. 1st time, just loaded a save 5 turns earlier, and played on, try same again, if I get a 3rd time, bug report.

Playing with Revolutions is always dubious, especially since it spawns lots and lots of civs given the chance, and it probably makes the game easier, given that the AI can't cope that well with the added mechanics.

Playing with Revolutions is always dubious, especially since it spawns lots and lots of civs given the chance, and it probably makes the game easier, given that the AI can't cope that well with the added mechanics.

I do see them reject like 95% of rebel requests... Most of the time I see them accept one is if it's a civic change. Doesn't matter if they're in a position to be fighting rebels or not, they'll reject it as if they were on top of the world.

Generally, but not always, the resulting shattered nations and newly spawned ones just can't compete with the player and the still strong AI's. I've seen a handful of cases where the rev-spawned nations claw their way up into becoming relevant, but normally they sit there doing nothing, or vassalize into some other nation...... Or even rejoining the nation they broke away from :p

That's just some of my usual experiences though. Sometimes I've gotten some truly unique games out of them, like one where Persia overexpanded then got split into two AI nations that eventually destroyed the whole Persian civilization - then centuries later Darius returned and reclaimed a good portion of his former kingdom. That was brilliant to see.

I'm trying a Revolutions game w/ Future/Transhuman on Giant map (that's the second-largest size). We'll see how it goes in late-game.

If I have to bite the bullet and go back to "just" Huge, I will to see my game to its conclusion lol... But I hope I don't have to do that.

I'll post my tech stats later...

I will say that on this game that did crash, I also got to enjoy an interesting situation... Barbarians on another continent spawned into Cuba, and it expanded into about 19 cities, becoming a power in its own right. Then they went to war with Brazil, and in the midst of the war not only did they lose 2 cities to the Brazilians but revolution and civil war struck... The rebels formed Colombia from about half their empire, and after another two wars a bit later on, Colombia captured even more cities including Havana until Cuba was reduced to 3 cities and was forced to become a vassal of Colombia.
Fun to watch!

Also in this game, China and India definitely were strong powers on their continent and had a strong rivalry going on. Amid several wars, western China revolted and turned into Tibet; India meanwhile wound up having some of its southwestern territories secede and create Pakistan -- becoming a sort of buffer state on its southwestern frontiers with China.

I (as super Poland) of course happily encouraged the breakup on what was essentially the Asian continent, gifting some of my soldiers to the less-advanced Tibetan and Pakistani governments and sending them money and resources to fend off any attempts by their former masters to reintegrate them.

I also had centuries of tense peace with next-door Germany and kind of had a situation mirroring real life where my border cities happened to be named or themed after real-world Silesia so they were cultural battlegrounds. Even had a situation where I had a "Polish Corridor" (like between the world wars), except their "East Prussia" was actually Cologne and my "Danzig/Gdansk" was actually a different city as well.
Of course I eventually went to war with them and took some of their territories... then turned my sights east to Hungary and Russia which both spawned fairly late in the game.

It was so fun!
You see why I wanted to keep it going to the end? Haha

I played a game on the third largest world with the mid speed game (1800 turns) with almost 17 civs at the start (sorry, as I play in french I don't know their names in the english version). All ran fine up to the mid 1950's (1350 turns I guess) but now I can't load my save, when I try to do it I have a back-to-desktop crash. I run the game revision 1043 (full graphics) with Windows 7 64 bits version with an IntelCore i5 8GB ROM.
Is there any way I can finish this game or should I start a new one?

Attachments

• Palpoutine RoMaND1 av. J-C..CivBeyondSwordSave
    5.1 MB · Views: 84
I played a game on the third largest world with the mid speed game (1800 turns) with almost 17 civs at the start (sorry, as I play in french I don't know their names in the english version). All ran fine up to the mid 1950's (1350 turns I guess) but now I can't load my save, when I try to do it I have a back-to-desktop crash. I run the game revision 1043 (full graphics) with Windows 7 64 bits version with an IntelCore i5 8GB ROM.
Is there any way I can finish this game or should I start a new one?
If you really want to end that game you may try to lower the graphics but nothing is guaranteed.

Its just a later game, more units/buildings/cities its just the way it is.

To play Gigantic maps, you need lower graphics settings, it won't make a big difference, I play at 1650x1050 resolution, so lower graphics setting just makes it a bit duller.

View port off, higher resolutions again, still give high details, so not a problem.

Use the BTS settings for low graphics, etc.

I play with Multiple units, and the other mod, name escapes me for more units. I just love it.

I can't load either, try an earlier auto save.

Last edited:
To tell the truth, every mapsize has been tested with and without revolution up to the end of the game in autoplay (on my 7 years old PC). There have been a few random crashes but I had to abandon game very seldom. That said, the larger the map, the more civs/units/cities in game, the higher the chances a game might crash.

In my case it was finally a corrupted save I think, I just went to my backup and could finish the game without any problem.

Top Bottom