Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

The mod looks as if it's extracted OK, but I think you need to put it in the following folder:

/Users/[Your Name]/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS

At some point, the app store version had to fall in line with Apple's sandboxing rules, so the game has its own space in your ~/Library/ folder

Hi again Sorry for the trouble but it seems like the mod files dont work and the game only seems to recognised mods with folders. The havefunv2 civ v doesnt work but the ingame editor works.

Not sure I understand. All mods must be contained in their own folders. There's always one file in it that defines the name of the mod, what it requires to run, and the list of other files in the folder that make up the mod. If you only have one file, it's probably the .civ5mod file you downloaded. You need to extract the mod folder from it using Keka - see the earlier posts in this thread for details.

Hi Alan. Thanks for making mods so easy to play on Mac! Everything has been working great, except all of a sudden my game freezes whenever I boot it up with mods. Do you know anyway to fix this? Thanks again!

Hi, welcome. Have you changed anything? New version of OS X? New mod? Which Civ5 installation are you running - Apple App Store or Steam?

Hello, thanks for the response. I play Civ5 through Steam. I haven't updated my OS X, and the problem started with my normal mods. I was able to successfully begin a game when I disabled all mods except for the Vietnam civilization mod by TPangolin, but the freezing continued when I exited out and tried to start a new game. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Assuming that you were able to play previously, but then it stopped working, something must have changed to cause the problem.

When did it go wrong? Were you aware of the game software being updated? Did you add any extra DLC (downloadable content)?

I haven't bought any new DLC, although it's possible that Steam updated without my notice. The problem probably started about two to three weeks ago. I can't seem to pinpoint the problem.

Hi there,

I would like to ask for some help with loading mods/scenarios. For reference, I have the Steam Civ5 version, with all DLC.

Within my menu I can see the MODs button properly. I think this was by default as I do not remember doing anything special to enable it - but trying to find a solution to my issue I see lots of people couldn’t see it (just in case, I also used the script on http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13282382#post13282382)

So I can see the MODs button. When I get in, I see all the subscribed mods (from Steam). I select the green enable checkbox next to one (in this case, trying to use the “1900 world”) and click on the mod itself afterwards. The mod info is then displayed, I click Next, and get the “configuring game data” message. Then I am in the MODS screen with the “Single Player” option. In this screen I can see the “Mods in use” list which correctly lists the one I want to use. After selecting “Single Player” (still the “mods in use” list is displayed) I now have “set up game” and “load game” options.

Up to this point I *think* everything works correctly?

Now, when I select the “Set up game” option I think it’s when things stop working. At this point I just go into a standard Set up game screen, where I select the civilization, map type, level, etc. I can select any civ here, and after doing so, I just start on a random map, from 4000BC.

The mod map is never loaded, netiher are the pre-set civilizations or cities/improvements.

I can’t find any info on this issue.. Any clues?

Thanks

Here are the second and third steps in the instructions to play 1900 AD - XX Century World map ( WW1-WW2 ). I don't know if this is the mod you are trying to play, but the steps are probably pretty much the same:
2- launch you civ5 - go to mods ( accept )- single player - set up game - click on earth and find "1900 AD WW1 WW2" map - check in "Load Scenario"
3- take any of Civilizations and "Start Scenario"
Did you look for the correct map in the Set Up Game screen, select it, and then click on Load Scenario?

Did you look for the correct map in the Set Up Game screen, select it, and then click on Load Scenario?

Thanks AlanH. This has bugged me for years, never managed to get it running on a mac and ended up giving up! I can see the maps and Load Scenario button indeed. Turned out to be quite simple, do I feel silly now...

Thanks again!

Glad you got it sorted. Firaxis seem to be very good at hiding functionality in their user interfaces!

Is there a consolidated set of instructions for the Vox Populi mod to instal on the Aspyr Campaign edition for Macs? Is there a thread somewhere addressing it?

Thanks!

Sorry, no. Assuming it is compatible - doesn't include a custom DLL - you should be able to use the general mod installation instructions. Have you tried?

Sorry, no. Assuming it is compatible - doesn't include a custom DLL - you should be able to use the general mod installation instructions. Have you tried?

I have not - in large part b/c I'm not sure if there's a consolidated list of all the pieces and parts you need for the Mac. I'm still just trying to get my arms around the full set of mods needed to pull together the overall 'expansion'

I'm not sure if there's a consolidated list of all the pieces and parts you need for the Mac.
If it is that complicated, then there is a DLL involved. If there is a DLL involved, it is not Mac compatible.

The mods available for the Macintosh version are fairly trivial. I have experimented with, I think, three of them. Just not worth the hassle IMHO.

I've tried so handful of miss that I've liked, like one that allowed custom startup and added a few of Tomantekh's custom civ's

I wanted to add the new city-state diplomacy mod, and the expanded resources, but then some friends were telling me about the VP consolidated mod that includes the BIG changes to gameplay, like the new happiness mechanic.

It's hard to find a bigger Civ5 fanboy than me (I'm the one that writes the BIG, extended AARs for GrogHeads.com) but even I was getting a little burned out and started looking at the mods to see what I could put in place.

I could write about some indiv mods but thought the whole package would make for a more compelling article series.

Top Bottom