General A New Dawn discussion

I haven't done anything with Reichstag lately. I want to do something with it, but I'm working on all the graphics stuff right now.

There are several Wonders that I'd still like to see changed: Silk Road (comes too early, too generic an effect), Copernicus' Observatory (not much better than a National Wonder), Women's Suffrage (identical effect to Mt. Rushmore), and Woodstock (there is a way to brute-force the triggered event part even if Events are normally disabled) are all things that I would like to fiddle with, as well as reining in Reichstag.

Perhaps Silk Road could provide resources like the Trading Company does?

Could Copernicus's Observatory affect standard Observatories somehow? Maybe that could be a way to boost its usefulness a bit.

On an off-topic, I'm at a loss as to what to do with the mega civ pack... I had a selection of civs and had been playing it just fine on one of my computers, but then installed Civ4 on another and copied the whole AND folder over to it. AND loaded fine, all my options and my XML changes/additions came over fine, but the mega civ pack... Well, it loads but all the new units/buildings have missing graphics. Not sure how to resolve that. :confused:

About the vassal problem, I think I could easily add some randomness to the code so that vassals can choose to either stay or leave every X turns. The reason why I haven't done it is that I avoid to introduce more randomness generation if I don't know how it behaves in multiplayer: there are already too many out of sync problems.

A little randomness being added wouldn't hurt I suppose. At least it wouldn't be a predictable "I'll leave you after X turns every time" deal :lol:

Off topic again, does anyone have any advice on what to do about my missing graphics problem? I copied the entire AND mod folder over, but that wasn't enough?

A little randomness being added wouldn't hurt I suppose. At least it wouldn't be a predictable "I'll leave you after X turns every time" deal :lol:

Off topic again, does anyone have any advice on what to do about my missing graphics problem? I copied the entire AND mod folder over, but that wasn't enough?

The only thing I can think of is MCP0.fpk (the FPK for all the graphics) being in the wrong place. It needs to be in the same place as the rest of the FPK files. I just tried a reinstall of my latest copy of the Megapack (date on the zip file is 2/6/15) and it worked fine.

The only thing I can think of is MCP0.fpk (the FPK for all the graphics) being in the wrong place. It needs to be in the same place as the rest of the FPK files. I just tried a reinstall of my latest copy of the Megapack (date on the zip file is 2/6/15) and it worked fine.

Downloaded it and transferred it over to my other computer... That fixed the problem. Turns out I was missing not only the MCP0 fpk file, but some XML text files too. No idea how I missed all that before :blush:

45°38'N-13°47'E;14252790 said:
Or, have you activated MCP? If you don't use the launcher it has to be activated via XML

At first it wasn't, and I didnt notice the missing model files until I was a hundred or so turns into my game after enabling it :lol:
I had to disable and re-enable it after adding the missing fpk file to get them to show up.

Thank you both :goodjob:

(Answering a little late)
45°38'N-13°47'E;14251458 said:
People are already complaining for the rare dark age event because it's reducing food. Although I like your idea, I think most players wouldn't like it.

Well, I think the purpose of the two would be entirely different as dark-age can happen anytime, while pollution would be a late-game feature.
BTW as dark-age seems buggy I'd just remove it - though I have no problem with it for its "punishing" nature.

MCP
I think that once Vokarya comes out with his next update I will start working on MCP again to keep UBs and UUs up to date. I also plan to create a single-archive installer to avoid confusion.

I'd prefer the Dark Ages stay, since it provides a challenge for you to overcome. I've found though that they're harder to endure in the earlier Eras of the game than in the Modern onwards however, but it's not as bad - IMO - as having an event erase a city off the map.
Plus, it's easier to recover from a Dark Age (In my opinion anyway; and usually only after its ended) than it is from things that delete resources (Resource Depletion, a comet striking on or near a resource tile, etc). If there were more World-effecting events like the Dark Ages, then I'd suggest just sticking it in a Game Option so people who don't like them can avoid it.

Though if it is indeed bugged pretty bad and fixing it is too much hassle, then I've got no problems with its removal. If possible, I'd like to keep it around though.

Unrelated; drew up a map of my current game world :king:

The current known world anyway :lol: No idea how many other continents there are just yet. The vikings, Assyrians, and Mongols all started on the same island, and the Mayans were barbarian-spawned. I think Spain might have been as well, and this was drawn a few turns after I finished my conquest of the Anglo-Saxons.

Amusingly, the Viking declared war on Assyria in the first forty turns of the game, and they went at it on and off a few times until the former converted to the latter's religion (Judaism). Ragnar then spent the next few centuries repeatedly declaring war on the Mongols, and the Olmec ended up founding Asatru and converted to that from Judaism. Right now Assyria and the Viking are at war again, but I didn't catch who declared on who.

Wow! Awesome map :goodjob:
How did you do it? I guess it is hand drawn, right?
Who are you? Olmec?

About Dark Ages:
Yes, it is a challenge, which I really like in most cases, but it is a much bigger chalange for the AI, than me: I build Caravan units, AI doesn't :sad:

Wow! Awesome map :goodjob:
How did you do it? I guess it is hand drawn, right?
Who are you? Olmec?

Thanks~!
It's technically hand drawn yes, with my Wacom tablet and Photoshop and some specialty Photoshop brushes that simulate oil paints (the empire and ocean colors) and natural pens (The text and continent borders)

I'm the Toltec actually :)

About Dark Ages:
Yes, it is a challenge, which I really like in most cases, but it is a much bigger chalange for the AI, than me: I build Caravan units, AI doesn't :sad:

I don't use them either :king:
Well, I build Caravans and quite frequently, especially to help with constructing in Production-poor areas.... But I never use the "Hurry Food" option. So I'm on the same field as the AI in a way.

Barbarian cities sure do pop up quickly...

20160504122222_1.jpg

A few turns before I took this screenshot, I had razed a barb city that popped up (a few turns after I took the barb city to the south, which I gave to the Spanish).
I marched over to it and razed it, then hit end turn. IMMEDIATELY after I razed it, a barb city popped up in the few fogged tiles I just came from.

So, I march back over and raze it too. Not long after though....

20160504122650_1.jpg

Riiiight in the very same tile that the city I razed used to stand. Wow. Oh yeah, and the Barbarians also scored a Golden Age this turn somehow. :lol:

That's cool. Barbs are still angry :)

Is anyone using the MAD Nukes Manager at the moment? I was looking at the code for CvMADNukesManager.py and I noticed there are a couple of line breaks in what seem to be unusual places. At lines 282-283 and lines 350-351, there's a line break in the middle of a parenthesis section. I know a little Python but not much, and that seems weird to me.

If the Manager is working, then it's ok. But I happened to notice something while I was looking.

Is anyone using the MAD Nukes Manager at the moment? I was looking at the code for CvMADNukesManager.py and I noticed there are a couple of line breaks in what seem to be unusual places. At lines 282-283 and lines 350-351, there's a line break in the middle of a parenthesis section. I know a little Python but not much, and that seems weird to me.

If the Manager is working, then it's ok. But I happened to notice something while I was looking.
I use it every time I play and it seemed to work. I can't check those lines until I get back to modding. The only thing not working properly are the blinking dots on the map on launch sites and target cities, it doesn't work since a long time, probably since Afforess made some changes in saving some data about units and cities.

Sometimes line breaks are used just to break a super long statement. It should still work.

All,

Quick bug issue: When I load AND2 using the launcher, I get the message that I've selected an audio capture device that is not working properly. I hit "OK" and then it repeats twice. No issues after that point. Any reason why this would occur?

I'm running the Steam version, not sure if that's related.

Thanks!
Snoop

All,

Quick bug issue: When I load AND2 using the launcher, I get the message that I've selected an audio capture device that is not working properly. I hit "OK" and then it repeats twice. No issues after that point. Any reason why this would occur?

I'm running the Steam version, not sure if that's related.

Thanks!
Snoop
Sounds more like a system problem than a problem with the mod. Does it also happen when you start default BTS and load the mod from there? Check in your audio options inside the BTS option menu which audio device you are using and try to change it if possible.

Top Bottom