Is there a fix anywhere for the Japanese glitch?!

Mordachai

Warlord
I've had this every game with the Japanese in it - when they get their longbow - the graphics go nuts - often crashing civ4. Doesn't matter what video card I've had - what version of drivers - it's been same with ATI/AMD/NVidia.

Having it again on build 1009.

Is there a fix? work-around? anything?! :eek:

Yep - this game just crashed. No message - just blinked out of existence.

I must be able to assign a boring standard longbow 3d model to the Nipponese - to avoid this glitch... someone want to point out what file(s) i need to edit to address this? Pretty please :)

I appear to have kluged a solutioN:

...\My Games\beyond the sword\MODS\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn\Assets\XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml

Search for ART_DEF_UNIT_YUMISAMURAI

Then replace the UnitArtInfo block as follows:
<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_YUMISAMURAI</Type>
<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/yumibtn.dds</Button>
<fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Art/Units/Longbowman/Longbowman.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Longbowman/Longbowman.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Longbowman/Longbowman.nif</SHADERNIF>
<ShadowDef>
<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
</ShadowDef>
<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
<bActAsRanged>1</bActAsRanged>
<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
</AudioRunSounds>
</UnitArtInfo>

I'm going to have a fix when I do my next upload.

Another temporary solution is to go into Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml and delete the <StyleUnit> for UNIT_LONGBOWMAN under UNIT_ARTSTYLE_JAPAN. That is, all of this:
Code:
	<StyleUnit>
		<UnitType>UNIT_LONGBOWMAN</UnitType>
		<UnitMeshGroup>
			<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_YUMISAMURAI</EarlyArtDefineTag>
			<LateArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_YUMISAMURAI</LateArtDefineTag>
			<MiddleArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_YUMISAMURAI</MiddleArtDefineTag>
		</UnitMeshGroup>
	</StyleUnit>
Either delete ALL of this or change YUMISAMURAI to LONGBOWMAN or LONGBOWMAN_CHINA. Deleting the entire section will force the Japanese Longbowman back to the vanilla Longbowman art. Changing it forces a different art definition to be called. LONGBOWMAN_CHINA is, as you can guess, a Chinese Longbowman. No one has reported any problems from that unit.

Thanks Vokarya!
Any idea what's wrong with that nif?

I don't know what's wrong with it. It doesn't give problems for everyone. Otherwise, it would have been replaced a long time ago. I've loaded up one or two save games where someone else had the glitch happening and no glitch for me.

I've had this glitch on every PC I've owned for 7 years - at least. I play ROM:AND often as well - which also has this unit - and it happens to me constantly. It doesn't always crash Civ - that seems new to me - usually it's just nigh-impossible to see anything if they're in the frame of view (brown color-spikes shoot out to infinity blocking ones view).

I'm surprised it's not everyone since - I've owned at least four rigs over that time - some using ATI (AMD) video cards, others using NVidia (as is case now).

I've had it in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and now 10.

Not to blame anyone - just surprised that it isn't more widespread! :O

Top Bottom