Cultural Victory: What's Your Five?

Tradition (Both sides)
Piety and Patronage (Points distributed to both according to my situation)
Freedom ASAP
Finish Piety and Patronage
Commerce

This seems to be working well at King. I prefer large islands maps so Commerce is a nice finishing tree.

Well to me, if you open and finish liberty sooner, you get to do some magic stuff with Legalism. The problems I've had, (at least on Deity) was that if you go full on liberty, getting a religion going is fairly tricky unless you play a religion bonus civ.

The hard part is that getting the 8-10 faith quickly can be tricky if you don't open piety quickly, if you don't most of my games by turn 80ish all religions are gone which is just under the time it takes to get Theology and the liberty finisher to get Hagia Sophia. Getting Stonehenge is a complete crapshoot on Deity.

The reason I mention this is that getting Cathedrals in your 3-4 cities is a huge bonus.

So that's one thing to take into consideration.

Other things... Delaying representation by any measure will seriously hurt you unless you are going OCC. It's 145% from base without it on 4 cities, it's 130% from base with it. That's an 11% reduction on 4 cities. Not insignificant.

I'm currently messing about with the Celts and the plan is roughly this, if I don't get swamped and get 4 good cities.
Tradition Opener---> Liberty.
If war might show up early I unlock Oligarchy, if not I try to delay it.
Finish Liberty, either using Collective rule for my 3rd or 4th city (depending on if I needed Oligarchy).
Piety as deep till I get Acoustics.
Legalism for 4 Opera Houses (Ceilidh halls).
Finish Piety.
Tradition till Industrial.
Nuke Freedom, and hopefully homestretch with Patronage and whatever is left in Tradition / Piety.

Well to me, if you open and finish liberty sooner, you get to do some magic stuff with Legalism. The problems I've had, (at least on Deity) was that if you go full on liberty, getting a religion going is fairly tricky unless you play a religion bonus civ.

The hard part is that getting the 8-10 faith quickly can be tricky if you don't open piety quickly, if you don't most of my games by turn 80ish all religions are gone which is just under the time it takes to get Theology and the liberty finisher to get Hagia Sophia. Getting Stonehenge is a complete crapshoot on Deity.

The reason I mention this is that getting Cathedrals in your 3-4 cities is a huge bonus.

So that's one thing to take into consideration.

Other things... Delaying representation by any measure will seriously hurt you unless you are going OCC. It's 145% from base without it on 4 cities, it's 130% from base with it. That's an 11% reduction on 4 cities. Not insignificant.

I'm currently messing about with the Celts and the plan is roughly this, if I don't get swamped and get 4 good cities.
Tradition Opener---> Liberty.
If war might show up early I unlock Oligarchy, if not I try to delay it.
Finish Liberty, either using Collective rule for my 3rd or 4th city (depending on if I needed Oligarchy).
Piety as deep till I get Acoustics.
Legalism for 4 Opera Houses (Ceilidh halls).
Finish Piety.
Tradition till Industrial.
Nuke Freedom, and hopefully homestretch with Patronage and whatever is left in Tradition / Piety.

Well, that depends on map size. Larger maps give you a smaller penalty for extra cities, which makes Representation less important. But also, 11% isn't a big deal for the first half of the game and it's probably not worth grabbing if it means that you'll be generating more than 11% less Culture than you would be with other policies. Also, consider the crazy amounts of Culture that you'll get by delaying that Golden Age.

Not to mention what you're missing out on by not getting Tradition finished sooner. 15% growth and free aqueducts is huge.

Top Bottom