noob question

glacis

Chieftain
how can you tell how many enemy units are on a tile? when i mouse over it overflows after ten or so.

i was just surprised by monty who must have taken his entire army to my city gates, some fifty or so at this stage in the game probably. i out-tech him a little and i was defending so i figured i was ok (our strength ratio is also one:one)

so is there a key stroke or some way to tell exactly what im facing? i could reload and try juggling my troops a little if i know i have a chance.

thanks

You can't by first glance. You can if you add up all the numbers in parenthesis behind all the unit name types. Those are the amount of each unit there is on the tile.
To reckon on how strong they are, well, that's a matter of checking the Pedia and/or learning each units strengths and weaknesses. It's become harder though since you can no longer see exactly what promotions enemy units have anymore unless placing a spy on the tile. Doing so means you can check each unit individually.

Cheers

You can also painstakingly/painfully work it out from the Military Advisor with 'Show Individual Units' on.

Maybe this can become the noob/ish questions thread, because I've got one.

Is there any benefit to building the Department of Water? Is it only when you have no problems with unhealth whatsoever? Is it worth it even then?

Are Water Pipes themselves even worth building?

And if they are, why do they only have -ve modifiers on their mouseovers? I know they provide fresh water, but I'm unable to detect any great benefit from that either.

Fresh water is a prerequisite for a few buildings, notably the Clay Pit (as unintuitive as it seems...) and several housings.

Ah yes, thanks - if there is an answer, it will be housing. Unless it doesn't kick in until the Industrial or later:rolleyes: (by which time you have much better buildings providing fresh water...)

1. Do units that don't have the Commando promotion always take a full move to attack in foreign territory? [Even in vassal territory, it seems my warlords always take 1MP to attack, even when they do so along a paved road, and all their moves normally cost 1/3 of that].

2. If so, is that considered a bug?

1. Do units that don't have the Commando promotion always take a full move to attack in foreign territory? [Even in vassal territory, it seems my warlords always take 1MP to attack, even when they do so along a paved road, and all their moves normally cost 1/3 of that].

2. If so, is that considered a bug?

1) There's a few rare situations where they don't but usually yeah. In any territory.

2) No.

1. How do you harvest kelp? (I don't have much kelp left in my game due to that map malfunction, but I have been wondering anyway)

2. How do you break ice? The Combustion tech says it permits you to do it, but my industrial workboat still says it can't.

1. How do you harvest kelp? (I don't have much kelp left in my game due to that map malfunction, but I have been wondering anyway)

2. How do you break ice? The Combustion tech says it permits you to do it, but my industrial workboat still says it can't.

1: Use a workboat and use it like on a resource.

2: I think there is a bug options that needs to be active too. If that is already on maybe modern workboats and beyond are needed.

2: I think there is a bug options that needs to be active too. If that is already on maybe modern workboats and beyond are needed.

Good catch, I suggest that we change it so that industrial workboats can break ice st the tech but it be single uses while later work boats can do multiple.

Thinking on it we should probably change the Harvest kelp similarly with Industrial workboats on being able to do multiple but the earlier ones being used up in the process.

Good catch, I suggest that we change it so that industrial workboats can break ice st the tech but it be single uses while later work boats can do multiple.

Thinking on it we should probably change the Harvest kelp similarly with Industrial workboats on being able to do multiple but the earlier ones being used up in the process.

Agreed.

I'm in the middle of my unit review so...

In the other thread where they're talking about Factories in ice and so on I'm a bit on the fence there seeing both sides. So I'll defer to you on that one.

But both of these issues hit the same files and I think you and I both have the same familiarity there (though for some of these you probably more than I.) So since I'm kinda caught up in this my only question is... who's gonna make the adjustments? If I'm not mistaken you're away from the modding computer... and I'm on very short time at the moment (working overtime and early so exhausted when I get home - I'm just trying to get this last minute unit review complete so we can get this thing to release at least by mid-weekend!)

Yudishtira... can you tweak these for us in the XML? You've got access don't you?

Yes, I am still away. Mum came out of hospital 2 weeks ago but has had to go back in today for observation.

I have a few python and other fixes ready to go, I just can't upload them from here and I can't always get to the SVN to make sure I am not messing where others are. They are not that important so can wait for after the release.

To clarify, the workboat is called "Modern Workboat", but it comes at early industrial (Screw Propeller) and there is no further upgrade until Constructor Ship (Machine Learning)...

I can't find any BUG option, can someone be more specific? I doubt it's "Terraforming", and there is one in Automations but surely that is not relevant as I'm doing this manually.

To clarify, the workboat is called "Modern Workboat", but it comes at early industrial (Screw Propeller) and there is no further upgrade until Constructor Ship (Machine Learning)...

I can't find any BUG option, can someone be more specific? I doubt it's "Terraforming", and there is one in Automations but surely that is not relevant as I'm doing this manually.

Was testing this a bit with rev 7780ish. My game is in Medieval so for testing purposes I gave myself Combustion, 10 Middle Age Workboats and 10 Modern Workboats and I had no problem with removing ice from plots. Terraforming is set to on. Maybe I was wrong about BUG setting break ice or it was there a long time ago.

Ok thanks I understand how Break Ice and Harvest Kelp work now...

Yudishtira... can you tweak these for us in the XML? You've got access don't you?

Sorry for apparently ignoring this question:mischief:. To DH: Please post a consensus version of the changes required, and I'll see what I can do.

Or (DH) confirm this list:
0. "Modern" (ie. industrial) workboats can already break ice at Combustion (and are consumed in the process) so no change there.
1. Constructor Ships (if applicable) can break ice without being consumed.
2. Modern Workboats are not consumed when harvesting kelp.

3. Factory improvements cannot be built on Desert, Permafrost or Ice until (say) Refrigeration.

Or (DH) confirm this list:
0. "Modern" (ie. industrial) workboats can already break ice at Combustion (and are consumed in the process) so no change there.
1. Constructor Ships (if applicable) can break ice without being consumed.
2. Modern Workboats are not consumed when harvesting kelp.

3. Factory improvements cannot be built on Desert, Permafrost or Ice until (say) Refrigeration.

Yes all three are good as far as I am concerned. I have not had a chance to check out what Joseph_II said about 3 though.

Same should apply to harvest Sea Grass, as with kelp.

Then what about beacons on Reefs and Coral Reefs?

Top Bottom