Steampunk - The Scenario

KingArthur

Searching for the Holy Grail
If you want a scenario filled with Airships, Analytical Engines (that's mechanical computers ala' Charles Babbage), Steam Tanks, Ironclads and other wonders, all set on an epic World Map in a alternate timeline subtly different from our own then this is the thread for you. I've started it and here's a biq to prove it!

So far I have put together the civs I want in and placed their cities on the map (I'm using Rhye's World Map). The civs are:

European: Austro-Prussia; Great Britain; Republic of France; Nordic Union; Papal States; Poland; Portgal; Russia; Spain
Mid East: Ottoman Empire; Persia.
Africa: Abyssinia; Sokoto; Zulu.
Asian: China; India; Korea; Phillipines; Shogunate of Japan; Siam; Srivijaya.
American: Brazil; Inca Empire; Indian Confederacy; Mexico; New Granada; United States of America.

Attachments

• Age Of Steam.JPG
    Age Of Steam.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 407
Starting date is circa 1824. As I stated, this world is subtly different from our own. Here are just a few differences as reflected by the main protagonists:

*France: Napoleon died very early in the Revolutionary wars, allowing many of the decadent states of Europe to get their act together and form their own primitive "nation states". France itself made peace with its neighbours and maintains its status as a republic. France is still the most socially progressive nation in Europe and a major threat to Britain's dominance in the world.

*The Papal States: A union of states ruled by a dynasty of popes. The current pope is a fanatic and wages a holy war against the Ottomans. The current Pope won't be happy until he has retaken Constantinople and then the entire Holy Land. In many respects the Papal States are backward - they have no overseas colonies and they lag behind in science by clinging on to dogmatic beliefs (e.g. the teachings of Copernicus are still banned). Relations with other European countries are strained especially non-catholic countries such as Britain. Even catholic countries are wary of the Papal States because large numbers of their population worship the pope as the figurehead of their religion. Spain in particular fears that they may see their country become the next state to join the Papal States. Rulers of catholic countries pay lip service to the Pope while secretly plotting to undermine his authority. The Pope however, has an excellent network of "spies" in other countries from bishops to the Pope’s own secret service.

*The Nordic Union: A loose union of Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. It is a monarchy where a council of aristocrats elect a king from Norway, Sweden or Denmark. It also includes the dependent territories of Iceland, the Faeroe Islands, Greenland. Recently, King Gustaf has been attempting to move the union countries towards greater industrialisation and to solve diplomatically the disputed Finish border with Russia.

*Spain
Once the worlds only superpower Spain is now greatly diminished in strength and almost drained of money after fighting exhausting wars of attrition to hold on to her crumbling empire. Spain also bore the brunt of French aggression during the Napoleonic wars. Spain's weakened state at home has already allowed Mexico to declare independence and rebellion is imminent in many of Spain's other American colonies.

*The Inca
In this scenario the Inca Empire not only survives the depredations of European powers but also emerges as a real threat to European powers in central and South America. Aided by Spain's European enemies the Inca were able to overthrow and force out the Spanish after a lengthy guerrilla war. Although still technologically backward the Inca managed to copy the design of British muskets to produce their own rudimentary version. On home ground the Inca are a match for any European expeditionary force.

*Austro-Prussia
Prussia is "the" emerging power on the European continent after quick, decisive wars against Poland and Austria. She still lags behind Britain in the strength and size of her navy and industrial capabilities. Prussia although not the largest country is widely considered the most organised and best led.

*Britain
As in our own timeline Britain has the beginnings of a mighty overseas colonial empire and the largest and most powerful navy in the world. Currently they are the world’s superpower and plan to stay that way for a very long time.

*The USA - The US face a much more uncertain future in this scenario as they did in our own time. France having made peace in Europe has no incentive to give up her American territories and it is unlikely that a Louisiana Purchase will ever occur. A frontier occupied by the French will be much more difficult to conquer than one occupied by the Indians.

*The United Indian Territories
In this timeline the Indians are united by the great Tecumseh who has formed a “union among all the fires”. The Indians face an uphill struggle but united in their primitive strength they may just hold on to their heritage and lands.

Only as far as the map, Civs and city placement - see biq on first post. I need to work out the tech and unit lines next. I'm still open to ideas from people too.

KingArthur said:
Starting date is circa 1824. As I stated, this world is subtly different from our own. Here are just a few differences as reflected by the main protagonists:
...*The Nordic Union: A loose union of Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. It is a monarchy where a council of aristocrats elect a king from Norway, Sweden or Denmark. It also includes the dependent territories of Iceland, the Faeroe Islands, Greenland and colonies in North America (similar to british presence in Canada in our own timeline). Recently, King Ludvic has been attempting to move the union countries towards greater industrialisation and to solve diplomatically the disputed Finish border with Russia.
Finland would probably still be a part of Sweden.
Maybe let them retain New Sweden and the other colonies (a couple of Carribean islands and some slave trading forts (one Swedish and one Danish of each, IIRC)).
King Ludvic really needs to change his name to something more fashionable, Carl, Christian or Gustaf would do... :)

Sounds interesting.

Scenario sounds interesting but totally ridiculous historically, not because of the technology, but because of the geopolitical arrangement. It's been argued to death, but suffice it to say that the Aztecs could only have survived against the Europeans if aliens arrived with death rays to stop them. The Papal States were has-beens by the 19th century after they were invaded several times over during the French Revolutionary Wars (although this may be tempered a bit by your suggestion that Napoleon died earlier). I can't see the Vatican as having any power in an even more technified world of steampunk.

I saw a website that elaborated a plausible steampunk history. It had a detailed chronology from 1822-2000. Unfortunately, it seems to have gone down. If you can find it, I'd suggest you modify your scenario accordingly. I've yet to download it (not home now), though. Otherwise, the idea sounds interesting.

I'm glad you found my thread mrtn :)
King Ludvic came off the top of my head so thanks for the superior suggestions (I like Gustaf the best). Most (if not all) of Finland is still part of the Nordic Union but Russia still claim territory to the east and would like to have more!

I wouldn't have thought those nice Scandinavian folk (like yourself) would be dealing in the Slave Trade but perhaps I can make them nastier.

Yup, all valid points but it's not supposed to be historically plausible, it's sheer fantasy and the product of a twisted brain at that. Actually I could have gone even more ridiculous (and probably will) and you've got me thinking now.. Aztecs with Death Ray technology....

Nanocyborgasm said:
Scenario sounds interesting but totally ridiculous historically, not because of the technology, but because of the geopolitical arrangement. It's been argued to death, but suffice it to say that the Aztecs could only have survived against the Europeans if aliens arrived with death rays to stop them. The Papal States were has-beens by the 19th century after they were invaded several times over during the French Revolutionary Wars (although this may be tempered a bit by your suggestion that Napoleon died earlier). I can't see the Vatican as having any power in an even more technified world of steampunk.

I saw a website that elaborated a plausible steampunk history. It had a detailed chronology from 1822-2000. Unfortunately, it seems to have gone down. If you can find it, I'd suggest you modify your scenario accordingly. I've yet to download it (not home now), though. Otherwise, the idea sounds interesting.

KingArthur said:
I'm glad you found my thread mrtn :)
King Ludvic came off the top of my head so thanks for the superior suggestions (I like Gustaf the best). Most (if not all) of Finland is still part of the Nordic Union but Russia still claim territory to the east and would like to have more!

I wouldn't have thought those nice Scandinavian folk (like yourself) would be dealing in the Slave Trade but perhaps I can make them nastier.
Oh, we quit selling slaves when they got out of fashion. :mischief: The numbers were much smaller than what other, bigger countries sold, though.
Those last (worthless) colonies were lost in the Napoleonic times, so it's not so strange thinking they'd been retained (that's the word, right?).

I'm also looking forward to the Aztec with Death Rays Mod. :lol:

mrtn said:
Those last (worthless) colonies were lost in the Napoleonic times, so it's not so strange thinking they'd been retained (that's the word, right?).
Retained is right (your English is better than mine anyways :)). If you could furnish me with the names and locations of those colonies you could save me from having to look it up :)

mrtn said:
I'm also looking forward to the Aztec with Death Rays Mod. :lol:
One of these days! Not this scenario tho'. I want to keep folks like Nanocyborgasm on side as I did think he raised some valid points and it's nothing personal if I go ahead an ignore them but I'm treading a fine line between the plausible and the ridiculous.. (I'll stop rambling now and just get on with making a scenario that's fun to play).

ozymandias said:
You should probably check out this site -- http://www.zeitcom.com/majgen/60lshp.html

Here's a pic:
Sweet I feel a unit request coming on. I definitely need some of those for this scenario. I had in mind Aaglo's Empire Steam Tank but these look more appropriate for the age of steam.

I will also request a Steam Powered "Mecha" with gatling guns attached to its arms.

That's the aim but I'll need help from playtesters, unit creators, ideas people etc.

Plotinus said:
If this lives up to its potential, it would be without question the coolest and most fun mod out there...

I for one also like the sounds of this. My Advanced airship and steam powered airship are available, and would fit well with this type of scenario. I'm also planning to do some more FF type airships in the near future. I'd also like to know if you'd be willing to incorporate designs and Ideas from Miyazaki's Tenku no Shiro Rapyuta (Laputa, the Castle in the Sky), since I have a book of the artwork and designs used (theres several dozen airship designs, not to mention the armored tank-trains and other cool stuff).

@Hikaro Takayama
I agree. I've seen your airships and they definitely must be in. It's a great film and I'd love to see units like armoured tank trains. I think I'll avoid floating castles tho' but the rest of that world was beautifully imagined.
@HooDoo
thanks. I'll post updates when appropriate.

KingArthur said:
@Hikaro Takayama
I agree. I've seen your airships and they definitely must be in. It's a great film and I'd love to see units like armoured tank trains. I think I'll avoid floating castles tho' but the rest of that world was beautifully imagined.
Good, expect to see Dora's pirate airship on the list, once I start back up with unit making at the end of the month.

Cool. That's the one with the bay where those one manned pilot fighters pop out of. Can't wait.

Hikaro Takayama said:
KingArthur said:
@Hikaro Takayama
Good, expect to see Dora's pirate airship on the list, once I start back up with unit making at the end of the month.

Top Bottom