Steampunk/Victorian Interface

Balthasar

Wise Man

Amazing what you think of when they take all your regular projects away. This is all done on GIMP on a friend's computer. I welcome all comments and criticism. I know this isn't the really grungy steampunk some people think of, but I was trying to get a more Jules Verne feel with this one.

The files are here and here

Ok, now for the screenshots:

City Screen:

Military Advisor

Civilopedia

Diplomacy

I'm going to d/l that now... I don't usually go in much for interface mods, but that's got my attention.
just saying good work doesn't seem nice enough somehow....

As a true, dyed in the wool steampunk, this is freakin' awesome!

....Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to link this over at the steampunk forums.

BTW, nice job using the Steampunk Star Wars image for the Title Screen ;)

....Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to link this over at the steampunk forums.

I just posted a link there myself. I'm very interested in what you and the others think of this over there. I made a title screen for the game based on that StarWars Steampunk pic in the first post (see below), but I'm not completely happy with it yet. There are other great styles sprinkled throughout the interface. I got these from all over the web: some are just people who dressed up and posted the results; the treehouse in the culture adviser screen was really built at Burning Bush.

Here's my first try at a title screen:

Spoiler :

It's a very nice interface IMHO, but the unit action buttons could need some work. They are hardly distinguishable ingame. Otherwise, good job! Do you have the floral background "wallpaper" somewhere as a single file?

It's a very nice interface IMHO, but the unit action buttons could need some work. They are hardly distinguishable ingame. Otherwise, good job! Do you have the floral background "wallpaper" somewhere as a single file?

I do. Use it in good health:
Spoiler :

as far as the buttons go, I know they're crap. I'm still learning how to "etch" on this thing. Anyone here good enough at that to give me a hand?

BTW, thanks to everyone who's commented so far, including you, Ares! Legitimate criticism is always welcome.

Thanks mate, I can use this pattern.

And don't worry too much... practice is everything. ;)

don't worry too much... practice is everything. ;)

It turns out you're right. I made some gold unit action buttons, and they've been added to the download file. For those of you who want them, you can get them here. For those of you who have the old buttons, well, now they're a collector's item.

Screenshot:
Spoiler :

Hi Balthazar! Your work is great! Very great! I like it. I am trying to mod the game interface for my mod, but I have some difficult. I have open a thread in the Civilization III Creation & Customization Forum, can you help me? Thanks.

Hi Balthazar! Your work is great! Very great! I like it. I am trying to mod the game interface for my mod, but I have some difficult. I have open a thread in the Civilization III Creation & Customization Forum, can you help me? Thanks.

I will be happy to be of whatever service I can be. Mind you, I am still without a computer of my own (I hope to get a new one Monday - stay tuned), but it sounds like you mostly want advice. And I have some long-standing promises to keep to Spacer One and Blue Monkey before I do anything else.

BTW, thank you for the kind words, you and Rollinga and Goldfool and especially Plotinus (and everyone else) have said here about this project. Makes me feel warm and tingly all over.

Bumping my own thread to let subscribers know that there is an alternative wonder splash screen available for this interface for those who like Pounder's Wide Screen Format Wonder Splashes.

You can get it here.

Here's the screenshot:

P.S. Here's a thanks in this thread to Virote_Considon for saving and re-uploading all of the Interface files when the site was hacked. Without him, we'd be looking at a blank page!

I'm working on a set of era splashes for the SteamPunk mod. I used the floral background you posted. I'd like to make the set really match your beautiful interface. Here's a hint of what I'm doing:

Is there any chance you'd be willing to let me use the gilt frames you use around the dialog boxes, etc. to set off the actual era image from the surrounding background? I could cut them out from your images but if you've got them separately that would be great.

Top Bottom