Cultural Victory: What's Your Five?

Peacemongerer

Prince
I almost always seem to find myself going Tradition for the tall bonuses, Liberty for the free units and free Great Person, Piety for obvious reasons, Freedom for the +2 per World Wonder and Patronage for the +20 influence resting point.

What do you guys pick? Interested to see how people do picking Order/Autocracy in particular.

Tradition, Piety, Order if a wide empire Freedom if a small empire, Commrance, Patronage or Honour I don't care.

Tradition, Liberty, Piety, Patronage, and Freedom. I usually save the last parts of Liberty for the end, though, because then the golden age is much more potent and you can use the free GP to get another very potent golden age.

Disagree. I finish liberty as soon as possible, because I want the extra culture from the improvements.

I find that a very large amount of my output comes from these, which are starting to really add up about the time I finish liberty.

Start by opening Tradition. Then go through Liberty. Finish Tradition. Piety. Freedom. The fifth is dependent on game conditions. Often times I'll go Honor to whip up a puppet empire or sometimes I'll go Commerce for the bonuses to coastal cities and happiness. Patronage can also be okay in certain circumstances.

Although I've only played emperor difficulty, I usually pick up all of tradition, piety, 3 liberty (or less till I get to industrial), freedom, 3 commerce and backtrack to liberty and commerce.

I know people will say liberty finished earlier is better but I find that liberty later is better as the GP threshold is way too high and can pick the GP according to where I am in tech.

Tradition > Piety > Patronage > Freedom > Commerce.....every time.

Patronage is crucial, to my mind. CS culture provides half, or more, of my culture for most of the game.

We have had lots of discussion about this in the cultural VC thread and I think the consensus for quickest finish times (~T270) is (not in order)
Tradition
Liberty
Piety
Freedom
Patronage

However the approach is not to complete entire tree by tree and the priority is definitely to finish Freedom as soon as possible. Going Tradition first for Tall strong science empire or Liberty for early GE to get key wonder are both viable approaches.

We have had lots of discussion about this in the cultural VC thread and I think the consensus for quickest finish times (~T270) is (not in order)
Tradition
Liberty
Piety
Freedom
Patronage

However the approach is not to complete entire tree by tree and the priority is definitely to finish Freedom as soon as possible. Going Tradition first for Tall strong science empire or Liberty for early GE to get key wonder are both viable approaches.

Yep, that is the optimum list. I finish Tradition last because I usually (not always) hold off on Legalism until much later in the game.

Yep, that is the optimum list. I finish Tradition last because I usually (not always) hold off on Legalism until much later in the game.

Why do you hold off on Legalism? I can see waiting until after you've built a Monument, but I don't see why you'd wait longer than that.

Why do you hold off on Legalism? I can see waiting until after you've built a Monument, but I don't see why you'd wait longer than that.

Since I have not played a cultural game in G&K, I can only answer from vanilla. I like the boost that four Opera Houses (or the like) can give at that point in the game. That may or may not apply to G&K, so fwiw.

Liberty, Piety, Commerce, Freedom, then honor or patronage, doesn't really matter.

Though I've done tradition instead of liberty as well, all depends on your start. Commerce happy is huge and rush buy discount is awesome to get up the slow cities for hermitage.

Since I have not played a cultural game in G&K, I can only answer from vanilla. I like the boost that four Opera Houses (or the like) can give at that point in the game. That may or may not apply to G&K, so fwiw.

I used to think like this as well but Hermitage isn't in the same tech as Opera Houses, so there isn't that much of an advantage getting it late. By the end game it's probably the same amount of culture since the +8 from monuments or the +20 from amphitheater is much, much earlier than Opera Houses. And the amphitheather mean you are quicker at getting GAs.

The early aqueduct also mean you can keep up with tech much easier, so it's usually the tree I finish first. Then move on to Piety, open Patronage, Freedom ASAP, finish Patronage last while Liberty is second last.

Hmm, so for those of you who take Liberty in the late game, what do you do with the free settler? I mean, if you went tradition first, you already have your 3-4 cities with high population and infrastructure all set up by then, so the free settler policy seems pretty useless to me. Unless you take the worker, the production, and the settler, but save the golden age or the great person for later?

Hmm, so for those of you who take Liberty in the late game, what do you do with the free settler? I mean, if you went tradition first, you already have your 3-4 cities with high population and infrastructure all set up by then, so the free settler policy seems pretty useless to me. Unless you take the worker, the production, and the settler, but save the golden age or the great person for later?

Yeah, that's it. I take the worker, settler, and production early and then save the other two policies for later. I'm not sure if this is optimal, though.

Pros: The Golden Age from Representation will be much more potent once you've built Hermitage, Sistine Chapel, Broadcast Towers, and all the rest. You're likely to have more cultural city-state allies later in the game, too, and that will further amplify the 20% culture bonus from the Golden Age. If you get Chichen Itza and you finish Freedom, then you'll have +100% to the Golden Age length, too. That's a big boost! When you finish Liberty, you can choose a Great Artist for another very potent Golden Age.

Cons: You'll miss out on the cost reduction from Representation and you'll have a bit less happiness without Meritocracy, which means a few less Culture per turn. And, of course, you can't use the Great Person to found/enhance a religion, rush a wonder, or get an early landmark.

If anyone's done the math, I'd love to see it.

Top Bottom