Navigable rivers

Levon Khan

Chieftain
When I saw the Danish/Viking civ i thought something was missing : the longships. And the best asset of longships was to be able to enter lands by navigable rivers and so they were able to besiege cities like Paris.

And now that we have the trade routes system it could be great also to have trade routes by the way of rivers.

Rivers were an important way of transportation through history and a lot of civs developed themselves thanks to them. Think about Egypt, Songhaï and many others.

Of course not any ship should be able to enter rivers but some special ships :
- some small warships, less powerful than sea units
- longships, Viking UU that could replace the previous unit
- trade ships
plus a special building like the port but for river navigation, can replace a trade route when built in both cities

Maybe not every river in the map should be navigable, just the bigger ones. It should take on tile.

And also I saw in that thread : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=505838 a word about the necessity of having canals. I really like this idea, it should be allowed in late game in some narrow parts of the map like Egypt and Panama. Also it could be a bonus for the civ who builds them. Maybe add Suez or Panama canal as a wonder, could be built by a civ who own a canal/ which is located on an area where it's possible. Hard to get but specialized wonder.

So, what do you think about a navigable rivers system ?

I would really like to see this (perhaps in Civ 6?)

When a Danish unit embarks, aren't they in a longship?

Yes, yes they are embarked in a Longship-like boat. Danish UA, no extra movement cost for disembarking, is probably a reference to their longships. I wonder why it doesn't work the other way round, because IRL they carried their boats on their arms on land to use it again on seas. I get medieval era "Longship" artifacts time to time even if I don't have Denmark in the game.

By the way, you get 25% trade bonus for cities adjacent to rivers, because your traders sail their merchandise on boats following the flowing of the river?

Yes, i want to use rivers for travel. And yes, i want to be able to dig channels as well. (Suez or Panama wonder could give workers a bonus to build channels faster or longer or something, i dont know) And even bridges across 1 or 2 tiles of water would be nice. Lets keep our fingers crossed for that in Civ 6!

How about TUNNELS! Loads of tunnels in the mountains on almost every continent. Why go around 8 tiles of mountains, when you can go through them? England even put one under the ocean to France. They've also been a counter to walls for a few thousand years.

Top Bottom