Webshops for Civilization V - List by country

@ Tylerryan79:

I haven't pre ordered from Amazon before but from other sites like Play.com they usually post it in advance so you have on the day of release (or just before).

The UK amazon site is now advertising it at £24.99 Mercade if you want to update the initial post.

Ive never preordered before so I had a question. Sorry Mercade for asking in your thread, but since its a simple question and about prorders I hope you wont mind.

Say I preorder from amazon, do they ship the game so I get it by release day? Or do they ship on release day? Thanks
Hi TylerRian79. It's a very valid question and certainly suitable for this thread :) Unfortunately there's not a unique answer to your question. It really varies from shop to shop.

In order to have the DVD's in the shop on release day, obviously the publisher needs to send them to the store some days in advance. The same applies to (web)shops for preorder. Some (web)shops have a strong reputation that they will mail the preorder edition a day or two before the release date so that indeed you have it in your mailbox on release day. In the past there have been some incidental reports of people actually receiving their box the day before the official release date.

Also, the release date varies, especially this long before the actual release. Some shops list 4 September, others 24 September. Even when the game is released, a shop may not carry it until a week later and naturally there often are different release dates in different parts of the world due to the need to translate the game, etc.

My personal strategy is to wait until about a month before the expected release date. By then the date will be more or less converged and you can see which shop has a realistic release date and a good offer. Many shops that will carry the game just haven't announced it yet because it's too early.

Amazon.ca has it for $49.99 Cdn.
The way our dollar is decreasing in value compared to the US buck these days, might be a good idea to grab it now before the price goes up! :lol:

June 13- just checked out my cart at Amazon.ca and was told that the pre-order price has increased from $49.99 to $59.99! The Canadian dollar is only a few cents less than the US buck so I wonder why the price increase of $10? Gouge, gouge, gouge!

Will Steam be the ONLY outlet for the Deluxe edition? I know Civ games usually have a tutorial and that part of the fun is stumbling, bumbling and fumbling until you sort everything out, but I also value a manual that I can read when not sitting in front of the pc. I've found that I can sometimes learn things that way.

After MOO3 why would anyone preorder a strategy game sequel with major gameplay changes announced?

I don't want to be a doomsayer but we should prepare for the worst just in case. :(

After MOO3 why would anyone preorder a strategy game sequel with major gameplay changes announced?

I don't want to be a doomsayer but we should prepare for the worst just in case. :(

Firaxis has pretty good credibility, all the Firaxis games I've played have been good if not great. I can think of three developers that can apparently do no wrong: Firaxis, Valve, and (although I'm not a big fan of their games myself) Blizzard.

The UK amazon site is now advertising it at £24.99 Mercade if you want to update the initial post.
Thanks for noticing. I've updated it. And now it's with free shipping in UK too. Nice.
Amazon.ca has it for $49.99 Cdn.
The way our dollar is decreasing in value compared to the US buck these days, might be a good idea to grab it now before the price goes up! :lol:
Added as well. Do the moderators know if there is also a Civfanatics support link/deal with Amazon.ca?

Edit: Added Amazon.de and Amazon.fr as well. Does Civfanatics have a link for those too?
Firaxis has pretty good credibility, all the Firaxis games I've played have been good if not great. I can think of three developers that can apparently do no wrong: Firaxis, Valve, and (although I'm not a big fan of their games myself) Blizzard.
My thoughts exactly. And with the entertainment value I've had with the Civilization games I've bought and played so far, [civ3], [c3c], [ptw], [civ4], [c4w] and :bts:, I'm sure that Civ5 will be worth my GBP 25 just to find out how much I like the new changes that are being brought to the game. I'll surely be preordering later when play.com or cdwow have announced theirs.

3DO had pretty good credibility before HoMM4.

Typical for swedish stores to slap on another 15$ to the original pricetag.

Typical for swedish stores to slap on another 15$ to the original pricetag.
It's not so bad in the European perspective. SEK 449 corresponds to about EUR 46 these days which is well within the range of EUR 45-49 that is asked by the shops that have priced it in Europe so far and not untypical for new games at all. Try getting a brand new PS/3 game for that amount.

Interestingly enough, the GBP 24 being asked in the UK is by far the best price on the market these days. It corresponds to about USD 35, which is much lower than US retail or Steam is asking. Which is why I'll personally be waiting for a little while to get a UK shop that sells across Europe (like play.com) and have my own bargain deal.

I would order games from abroad if it wasn't for the fact that you can get randomly tolled an additional 100% of the cost or so (importing media is crazy here). It's not systematic in any way though, just a gamble.

I would order games from abroad if it wasn't for the fact that you can get randomly tolled an additional 100% of the cost or so (importing media is crazy here). It's not systematic in any way though, just a gamble.
Does that also apply to importing to Sweden from within EU? What about the free flow of goods and services?

Sounds like what germany was like when I was there, you didn't know when you would have to pay import taxes and it was never the same amount. Even though we have to pay a fortune for things here in australia I can import stuff under a $1,000 and not be taxed for it! Thank god for internet retailers!

The cheapest place ive found for Australian gamers to get ciV, would have to be http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-cxms-71-7s-49-en-15-civilization+v-84-j-70-3qvp.html
66.54 AUD and generally they will do a cheaper deal closer to the release date. Generally they are the cheapest, with the next being http://www.jbhifi.com.au/ who havnt yet posted ciV for preorders, but you wont have to wait for it to be shipped here.
Welcome to Civfanatics, Diablochimp and congrats on your first post. I'll add the link to Play-Asia. It seems like they'll send world wide, even, but I'll classify them under Australia for you. When the JB Hifi store starts taking preorders, please let us know here.

Cheers for the hearty welcome, long time lurker first time poster.

Play Asia has gotten popular in Australia recently becuase they will send un-censored games into a highly censored australian market.

As for JB hi-fi, will do. As soon as they release more info i will be sure to update you guys.

Does that also apply to importing to Sweden from within EU? What about the free flow of goods and services?

Now that you mention it, I haven't tried ordering from Britain since before we joined the EU.
The worst thing is not stuff you can buy locally though, it's importing stuff like asian movies that are not on the european market.

The Australian Steam price for Civ 5 is a flat-out insult. It's not even as if it's in our currency - it's 80 US Dollars compared with 50 from the US store. A 60% markup FOR NOTHING! Whoever 2K's local distributors are, they couldn't have shown how much they're gouging us, what utter useless parasites they are, more obviously.

Top Bottom