SGOTM 13 - One Short Straw

Yes. 3E would have a been a good site long-term but would require 15:culture: to reach the fish. Those fish will give PH its 6th :health:. Very good. I think I like our situation better than SIP. I agree that we move on.

IF we happen to pop a metal in a mine, that would be a stopping point.

The warrior doesn't need to go anywhere else.

Hey it's the magical fish tile!

I'm fine with settling on PH. Can you post pictures after you settle Paris?

That 24 GNP number is inflated because of the GLH's culture (6). So it's actually 18. Palace provides 14 (2 culture, 4 espionage, 8 coins), city center tile provides 1, so that leaves 3 coins for the 18 civs and 4 for the 19 civs? Are all of our opponents creative???

edit: duh... financial coastal tiles provide 3 coins.

You also get 1.2x beakers if you're researching a second-tier tech, so 18 is pretty normal. Can't really say much yet. CRE will show up via border pop.

@shyuhe

Can you put together a play order so that whoever is up next can start preparing? Also, do you want me to pause play after posting a screenshot of our BFC? I can't see it changing anything...

I'll start playing in about an hour. I can't see anyone wanting to change the current PPP...

Unless you get something weird like an oasis tile showing up, I don't think you have to pause after settling.

Here's a tentative order:

Mitchum
Dhoom
Ras
Rusten
mdy

I'm assuming bbp and LC are not playing - just let me know if you want a set. I can chip in if necessary too, and we can always shuffle it around.

EP, Lexad, ungy - you guys out there? Chime in if you are and we can slot you in.

edit: Moved mdy down, as I forgot he doesn't have much playing time until later.

Yes. 3E would have a been a good site long-term but would require 15:culture: to reach the fish.

My thoughts when I saw the pic. Too bad that fish is one tile away :(

Go on with PH plan Mitchum! (nice pics, now we should plan on a spear build imo:spear: ;))
Stop if u catch something ofc (tbh I find playing so many turns without pause is a bit risky but that's me)! :eekdance:

@Shyuhe: EP and Ungy have subscribed already, I guess they don't have as much time in their hands than us :lol: No sign of Lexad though, did someone PM him (maybe he is BOTMing somewhere)?

I guess the stone needs a bit of discussion no? :p

all three sea health resources. IS the map maker telling us early compass is an idea? Seafood seem abundant. Mids could be tempting.

The stone needs quick scouting for seafood. Just out of reach of that fish. :( Looks like another GH south of it, so could be a semi-decent hammer site with some food (I assume we'll be seriously lacking base hammers in general). I don't think it changes anything in the current TS, but it might after. I've actually been wondering about the option to skip Wtg if we wanted a MC sling (unlikely because of OB goodness). Masonry would stretch our early tech needs further.

I can't see the stone changing anything in the current turnset, however given that the Pyramids would give us a massive boost I think we will probably need to take advantage of the stone to build them if we are to remain competitive.

Game uploaded. Nothing to report other than Buddhism FIADL on T11.

Spoiler :
Turn 1, 3975 BC: Paris has been founded.

Turn 10, 3750 BC: You have discovered Fishing!

Turn 11, 3725 BC: Buddhism has been founded in a distant land!

Turn 21, 3475 BC: You have discovered Mining!

Turn 42, 2950 BC: Paris will grow to size 4 on the next turn.

Turn 43, 2925 BC: Paris has grown to size 4.
Turn 43, 2925 BC: You have discovered Bronze Working!
I have screenshots for anyone that wants to review them. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send them. Or, if you need any specific data, let me know and I can look it up.

5 land tiles = .54% = 926 total tiles -> Dom (64%) = 593 tiles needed
6 land tiles = .64% = 938 total tiles -> Dom (64%) = 600 tiles needed

No copper on that mysterious looking hill to the west? Nuts.

So Dhoom is up next. I guess we need to try toying with the pyramids to test its feasibility? My concern is that it'll be tough to snag both pyramids + oracle here given our limited production base (compiled with rex issues).

Also, first scouting WB heads south to check out the stone? Or do we look around the SW clams for a second seafood?

With stone I don't think we will have any trouble getting either the Oracle or the Pyramids-they tend to go fairly late. I was thinking that it might be worth going for Stonehenge as well. On these sorts of maps cities often need early border pops to become productive if they are placed in their optimal long term locations, and stonehenge would allow us to get them earlier and would probably save a lot of hammers as well.

We're CHA, so Stonehenge definitely rocks. Don't really see how we have the spare tech and production for it, though. What's a decent date on Emp? We'd probably need to research Myst-Masonry ahead of Pottery then or at least ahead of Writing, and there would probably be no guarantee of getting it? Worth testing, I guess, so we know exactly what we're talking about sacrificing for it. I suspect it's a lot.

Top Bottom