The Official God FAQ

Mauer

Pompous Noble
Yet another discussion of God. I know there are alot of them out there, but let's try and do something different here.

Purpose of this thread:
1. To discuss serious questions asked by people who really want to know "Why?".
2. For a better understanding of the Christian perspective.
3. Understanding the nature of Gods personality

This thread is not for the purpose of:
1. Proving God-seeProve God Exists
2. debating the bible-see Do you believe EVERYTHING is true in the Bible
3. Proving creationism as scientific-see The Official Perfection KOs Creationism Thread!
4. Political discussion. Questions about the legallity of abortion, death penalty, or any other thing that is already "legal". These have their own threads-seeAbortion and the Death Penalty

The Rules:
1. No swamping the thread with articles. If you feel an article would be appropriate you may post it, but please only one per response. Also do not just post some random article, please use it as a means to augment your arguement, not as your arguement.
2. All standard forum rules apply, especially the no flaming, trolling and spamming rules. While one may consider their opposition to be incorrect let's not assert that they are not intelligent.
3. The source for all truth, for a christian, is the bible. The bible will be quoted numerous times by myself, and...well you know the rest of them already I'm sure.
4. Show some discipline, and forgo your knee jerk reaction of an asinine statement.
5. To christians: please don't answer a question with "cause God says". Give them a reason for your beliefs. EDIT: What I mean here is that christians should use the bible as the reference and try to put it in context to the best of their ability. Don't just say "God is good!" or "Jesus saves!". Simplistic answers, which I have seen and/or even posted myself, were what I was trying to avoid. BTW, God is good and Jesus does save ;) .
6. If you have a comment or question that will spin this thread off topic, please just create your own thread.

I will leave the first comments for someone else, for the reason that this isn't a "Thou shalt believe what I do" thread. I have my own personal beliefs, which most of you know already......so ask away.

Thanks to perfection. I borrowed some of your rules :)

Mauer said:
To discuss serious questions asked by people who really want to know "Why?".

Ok, I will bite. I would like to understand.

Why do you need a God?

betazed said:
Why do you need a God?
Christians will say because life without a god is meaningless, and that belief in a higher form is a means of understanding your inner self. And other such things of roughly the same vein.

I say, because people like to believe they're special, and so will believe anything they are told because it supports their point of view.
In this case, because it supports their belief that they are special and also, because belief in concepts such as heaven, or even hell, is a nice way of avoiding confrontation with their inner fear of death.

Why won't God just undeniably manifest himself so that all us atheist get convinced immediately?

Is God still Jealous and Wrathful? Why is it so full of anger?

Is it Petty and Arbitrary too?

Why would God create so many souls simply to relegate most of them to an eternity in damnation without a clear explanation of its expectations?

Why would God hide all evidence of the global flood associated with the story of Noah?

I would also be interested in your opinion about the discussion I was having with bobgote in the 'Abortion and the Death Penalty' thread about the new and old covenants. Specifically Hebrews 8:6 – 8:13 and how it relates to various forms of institutionalized dogma surrounding salvation through Jesus.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=102694&page=5
continued on pg 6

Paradigne said:
Isn't our 'inner fear of death' a learned response?
Nope, it's an instinct. Which is why everyone has it, which is why religion is so successful.

El Sop said:
Why won't God just undeniably manifest himself so that all us atheist get convinced immediately?
Then there would be no need for FAITH.

Why is perception of God different in various Christian religions?

Why did God destroy the towns of Sodom & Gamorrah out of vengeance & flood the world (save that of Noah's Ark) to wipe out the living, again out of vengeance, when he clearly states to Moses in Commandment 4: Thou shalt not kill?

Talk about hypocrasy.

I second all the following:

Riesstiu IV said:
betazed said:
Why do you need a God?
Paradigne said:
Isn't our 'inner fear of death' a learned response?
El Sop said:
Gothmog said:
Is God still Jealous and Wrathful? Why is it so full of anger?

Is it Petty and Arbitrary too?

Why would God create so many souls simply to relegate most of them to an eternity in damnation without a clear explanation of its expectations?

Why would God hide all evidence of the global flood associated with the story of Noah?
Gelion said:
Why is perception of God different in various Christian religions?

Well?

sourboy said:
Why did God destroy the towns of Sodom & Gamorrah out of vengeance & flood the world (save that of Noah's Ark) to wipe out the living, again out of vengeance, when he clearly states to Moses in Commandment 4: Thou shalt not kill?

Talk about hypocrasy.

nope, he didn't do it after all, just some people CLAIMED he did ;)

sourboy said:

Talk about hypocrasy.

the fourth commandment is meant to say thou shalt no murder, but it changed after being translated through several languages.

The Omega said:
:ack: Not anohter one of these threads........

hehe, this one is actually good - Mauer set really good rules and I hope tog et some answers - no answer being an answer, too ;)

Top Bottom