Category 5 Bull

Bozo Erectus

Master Baker
Rush Limbaugh: (paraphrasing) Who's to blame for the effects of Katrina on oil and gasoline supplies? The wacko environmentalists and their Democratic allies who have prevented the exploration for oil and gas in the US for years. If they had allowed us to drill in Alaska and coastal areas besides the Gulf, we wouldnt be in this mess.

Rep Joe Barton Energy and Commerce Comittee: This underscores the importance of drilling in Alaska and and in new coastal areas.

Clearly the Republicans are gearing up to use the disaster for all its worth to push through their pre-existing energy agenda, which heavily favors the oil industry, and would do nothing to alleviate the current crisis.

So far the political response from the Left seems to be cries of racism (as you can see from the threads that have sprouted up here). Troubled by all the photos and videos of black people looting, as usual their response when confronted by something like this is to call white people racists. The news media is racist for labelling them looters, police, state and federal officials are racist becuase they arent doing enough to help the blacks stranded in the city. Blah blah, etc.

This is nothing, its going to keep snowballing in the weeks and months ahead. While the Left increasingly cries racism, the Right will use the disaster to impose their oil agenda on the country. Meanwhile the price of gasoline will keep going up and average Americans will keep looking for who to blame from their excellent vantage point atop their monster SUVs and Hummers.

We're doomed:shakehead

Yes, you know that just like any disaster, the government (in this case repubs) will take full advantage of it and try to push through as much energy related things as they can.
I suppose it never occured to them that they might have to cut down on consumption, especially when the supply has suddenly been cut like this.

In my opinion, this is the kind of thing that should have governments thinking about conserving whatever deposits they have, if possible ... not the other way around.

We're past the stage of trying to fix the problem by increasing supply, the real problem here is reducng demand ... idiots driving to the corner store as a lone occupant of an SUV to get some milk, etc. It's too expensive to do that now? Hey, you brought it on yourself, unfortunately, you brought it on the rest of us too! That's what I'd like to say to these indolent morons who seem to always be trying to blame somebody, anybody else. At least a quarter of demand, imho, is just ppl being slothful, lazy bastards and we all have to pay for their stupidity, every day.

I always knew it's the environmentalists fault. If not for them, the world would be such a good place, Eden so to speak. Their fault that Alaska is not completely turned into a oil refinery. In fact, it's their fault that oil is running out sooner or later (guess that's God's revenge to punish the Greens)

If not for the leftists, Iraq would be a democratic heaven already and oil would flow aplenty. They are also responsible for the fact, that American consumers are pretty ignorant and lazy (getting fatter while using their SUV's). If the neo cons would be able to act as they wish, there would be no shortage of energy and other resources, finally America could use up even more of the World's resources, after all, God is American and it's their right to grab it all.

Global warming is just a cheap excuse to not let us all enjoy our freedom to do what we want with the planet. Those ecologists who claim New Orleans is actually built in the wrong place and a desaster of this scale was just waiting to happen, all whiners without balls.

ThERat said:
I always knew it's the environmentalists fault. If not for them, the world would be such a good place, Eden so to speak. Their fault that Alaska is not completely turned into a oil refinery. In fact, it's their fault that oil is running out sooner or later (guess that's God's revenge to punish the Greens)
Plus, if the Greens hadn't been holding people back in their consumption of oil, we would probably already have run out of oil and got on with discovering new, less-polluting energy sources, which would lead to a new peaceful age of man. Dang hippies.

Like it or not, eventually we are going to tap all available oil reserves.

As demand rises and pushes prices up we just get more and more of an incentive. We've already seen reports of companies reopening old wells considered economically unviable back in the eighties. Companies are even considering opening shale oil operations here in Pennsylvania where oil production has been unviable for decades. The supply is going to have to come from somewhere and if its within our political borders, so much the better.

As China & India continue to industrialize and modernize demand will continue to increase. The supply is going to have to come from somewhere.

well, one day oil will be so expensive that other sources will be suddenly attractive...

humans are so smart to burn the best commodity we have for transport, once we run out of oil it's not only combustion that's affected. pharmaceuticals, plastics are all valuable products which need oil as a resource. I just need to look at the wastage of plastic bags here in this country to know that humans are pretty dumb :(

In the end, the greens will share a good deal of the blame for a gas shortage, mainly because of their opposition to nuclear power.

So little of the oil imported in the US each day is used for electricity that the effect on the gas price is unimportant.

Well, looks like Rush Limbaugh has spewed more poo out into the media once again to get the Republicans going :rolleyes:.

I wonder how much of his millions he donated to the relief.

Blah, I've even given up listening to him here and there. Bozo must be a glutton for punishment. ;)

The news media is racist for labelling (Blacks as) looters

No, the media is racist for NOT applying the same obviously correct label to WHITE looters. And for portraying looting (afai can tell from television coverage) as an exclusively Black phenomenon. It's not racism on the part of the media per se, it's the commercialized media anticipating the racial needs of viewers. "Let's show a Black person breaking something, that always sells well."

farting bob said:
Yes, you know that just like any disaster, the government (in this case repubs) will take full advantage of it and try to push through as much energy related things as they can.

Yes, I suppose it is completely the wrong time to talk about energy shortage when the price of oil has skyrocketed.

While we are on the topic, anyone know the last time a refinery was built in the US?

Spoiler Date of the last refinery built in the US :

Think that could possibly be a cause of the shortage of gas? Especially since New Orleans is a major source of that.

Ah, I get it. Because oil companies are gouging us, we should pay them billions of dollars so they can drill for more oil to sell at the same prices.

We're going to run out of oil soon, its better that you get used to paying more for fuel now, then suddenly find you have to sell your house to fill up the SUV shaped tank you have in the driveway.

thestonesfan said:
In the end, the greens will share a good deal of the blame for a gas shortage, mainly because of their opposition to nuclear power.

I agree with that.
I usually agree with the greens, but I don´t see why reject nuclear power.

Pontiuth Pilate said:
No, the media is racist for NOT applying the same obviously correct label to WHITE looters. And for portraying looting (afai can tell from television coverage) as an exclusively Black phenomenon.
Around 70% of the New Orleans population is black. It's not all the media's fault if all they can find are blacks looting the stores (don't take that the wrong way). I'm not taking their side. Infact, labeling like this is... well, wrong. But don't overreact, footage will turn up of whites looting something

The people of the South are suffering. Remember that as the lot of you continue to dispute.

Top Bottom