Are you ready to get your teeth kicked in?

axisandallies

Chieftain
Hey!

Just wanted to see how many of you, when you play a new civ, how many times do you get your throat stepped on before you start to win? I usually start the difficulty in the mid-levels, but for every sequel, Civ 2, SMAC, Civ 3, I have consistently gotten trounced for probably five games before I get a foothold. Partly this is due to new interface/features, and I guess improved A.I.. Are there any grognards among us that can win on the first try?

i cant tell you how many times i get my teeth kicked in like that because the computer comes a savior ally to the ones im attacking...especially on regent...i hope CIV IV improves this :) :crazyeye:

I've played all three previous civs on the easiest level and never lost my first game. Of course, under the old rules the player had significant production and research bonuses when playing at Chieftan level, and I have gotten lucky and had great start positions on each of my first three games. So I'm going to spot myself some really easy opponents and stomp them into the dirt. After I've learned the new graphics interface and seen how the new religion and civics systems work, I'll be more adventurous like you and play at the higher difficulty levels.

Belboz said:
I've played all three previous civs on the easiest level and never lost my first game. Of course, under the old rules the player had significant production and research bonuses when playing at Chieftan level, and I have gotten lucky and had great start positions on each of my first three games. So I'm going to spot myself some really easy opponents and stomp them into the dirt. After I've learned the new graphics interface and seen how the new religion and civics systems work, I'll be more adventurous like you and play at the higher difficulty levels.
Quoted for Redundancy

I think I will be play a fairly easy level first. Not the easiest, but the next step up. So I can get to grips with the game and have fun crushing my enemys. After that, I will up the level!

Grognard is a term for arm-chair generals and war (mostly tabletop hex games) gamers. I guess this is an old term, as i don't see it tossed around too much anymore.

It is also a term for Napolean's old guard.

Back in the 80's my friends and I were a bunch of Grognards playing Axis and Allies and Squad Leader. Anyone ever play those or am i alone?

Usually it takes me a few tries to get on my feet and adjust to the game's features, interfaces, etc. Probably won't start on the easiest or next one up, but if I'm not winning after four games I'll probably drop down just to make myself feel good. :)

I will probably start out on an easy setting even though I am a bit tempted to start on a higher difficulty just so I don't get to comfy with the easy setting.

axisandallies said:
Back in the 80's my friends and I were a bunch of Grognards playing Axis and Allies and Squad Leader. Anyone ever play those or am i alone?
I started playing Axis and Allies with a couple of friends last week, never heard of it earlier. It's a nice game but I think it might get a bit repetitive if you play it to much.

i would watch out all of you!:crazyeye: civ has a history of being very easy on the easiest level. in fact if you have played any civ in the past and you don't win on the easiest of easy then you should most likely quit the game. :eek: but i would say to make that first game of civ 4 (your only first game you get ya know) as special as it should be and to keep it interesting say you can brag about it to your friends after, then you should play on the second easiest. :goodjob: i mean come on do you really want your first game to be boring.

i totally agree with rilizic...
the game is very easy at first...
but for me as a player the other levels (regent and above) are very very hard.

axisandallies said:
Grognard is a term for arm-chair generals and war (mostly tabletop hex games) gamers. I guess this is an old term, as i don't see it tossed around too much anymore.

It is also a term for Napolean's old guard.

I love to play Axis and Allies. It was a wonderful game, but with a family now it is difficult to find the time and the people to make it happen. They are, however, very fond memories.

i play axis and allies. ive never realy heard of any other board game war games like that though, besides risk, wich lacks complexity.

o except for diplomacy, posibly the best board-game ever created, EVER

I generally start on the medium to hard difficulty levels. Usually I barely scrape out my first game, win the next few then start going for the harder difficulties. Of course, I'm a fast learner.

Probably the coolest thing about Axis and Allies is that it is so customizable. there are a few variations of it out there now, all bring something new to the game. It is the only table-top game I know (except maybe Monopoly) that can last 10+ hours. (My longest was 18 hours).

I can't believe none of the rest of you old fogies out there haven't played squad leader! It was a hex game where you led a squad during WWII. One of those games that gave birth to Warhammer, etc. You had to have a ruler, calculator, etc.

Sheesh.

I will play a multiplayer game with me and my roommate on regeant when we get the game. I am really unsure how we will do, but should know in a day or two. I rape the computer in Civ3 on Diety, but my roommate gets killed on Monarch still, so I guess we will see how it goes.

All AH games - advanced squad leader (ASL) -- now those were board games -- wholly crap -- using the ASLSK(1&2) to get back to the volume of rules that make it up :crazyeye:

Johnny Tsunami, you made my day!

Johnny Tsunami said:
All AH games - advanced squad leader (ASL) -- now those were board games -- wholly crap -- using the ASLSK(1&2) to get back to the volume of rules that make it up :crazyeye:

Wowsers - just remebering when I played ASL - some of the happier times.

Cool beans - they just released Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kits (ASLSK) to help ease new players into the game.

ASLSK 1 covers infantry
ASLSK 2 covers guns

The next to be released ASLSK 3 will cover tanks.

There still in the wrap need to find some quit time one day to read 'em over :)

Top Bottom