LS Civilization Set

PRECOLUMBIAN

Edohi of the Cherokee
Capital: Kituwa
Unique Ability: Selu's Justice — Founding a Religion or Capturing a Holy City begins a Golden Age. Military Units receive a unique promotion providing a +10% Combat Strength bonus against the Civilization that controls the Holy City of the Dominant Religion in the Cherokee City when they were created.
Unique Unit: Chunkey Pitch — Requires the Wheel; replaces the Coliseum. Provides +2 :c5production: when building Land Units.
Unique Unit: Raven — Replaces the Scout. Inflicts a Combat Strength penalty on enemy units. Can be upgraded to Musketman with Gunpowder.

Some explanation: The leader and the Unique Ability are based on a story from Cherokee oral history. According to the story, a young Cherokee war chief united the people in a revolt against the oppressive religious order that dominated their society. The war chief's name is not known, but Cherokee historian and novelist Robert Conley used the name 'Edohi' for this man in his novel depicting these events. If Carthage can have Dido, the Cherokee can have Edohi. Selu is the name of the Cherokee Corn Mother as well as the Eve-like figure in the Cherokee creation story. She, like Edohi's wife, was murdered.

The Chunkey Pitch is the field where the chunkey game is played. Chunkey is an ancient game popular in the Southeast and a few other places. The game involves throwing a spear at a stone disc that is rolled down a smoothed field. Their are a few variants to the game with different objectives; the most common objective is to throw the spear closer to where you think the stone will stop than the opposing team. Chunkey Players show up in a lot of artwork from the late Pre-Columbian Southeast and the game had quite a bit of historical popularity as well. Like other sports in the region, it was frequently used as an alternative or prelude to war.

Ravens were relatively high ranking war leaders, whose skill and bravery distinguished them. Their main duties were to scout ahead of the war party, find the enemy and uncover his weaknesses.

Still toying around with an earlier colonial era variant of the Cherokee. Probably would be more Trade-oriented, since many of the recorded leaders from the early 1700s were trade commissioners overseeing relations between the Cherokee and the British.

Love the chunkey reference :)

Updates (links in first post).

Set I; version 2:
  • New Hetmanate UA
    Khmer code optimization
    Updated unit icons

Set IV; version 4:
  • Durrani AI: once again writers create great works (hotfix broke it?)
    Nepal Rice Terrace allows internal food sending
    Fixed some rare scenarios where Rice Terrace providing wrong amount of food

Set V; version 2:
  • Scotland UI now properly change yields' values
    Scotland UI can be "captured"/owned by not Scotland player
    Fixed Scotland being unable to build Embassy
    New Highlander flag
    AI Olmec is now forced to annex city if original capital is lost
    Olmec UU is no longer combat unit, gain other bonuses
    Zimbabwe text fixed
    Zimbabwe UU bonuses no longer increase Policy Cost

Lovely. Thanks.

Why?

Mainly because of this quote, which psuedo-confused me. I was and am still sentenced to play with 22 major civilizations

I am also afraid that AI will not handle your workers (not building cities with them).

So just one more question until I jet of into the wilderness - does the Spain AI know how to build cities with conquistadors? If so, will it still be an issue for a potential Australian civ?

Love the chunkey reference :)

Thanks. In my notes I had used the Stickball Field for the Choctaw Unique Building and the Temple Mound as the UB for the Mississippians. Though the John Ross with Newspaper is still my preferred version of the Cherokee, having the chance to do it over again meant I could finally put chunkey in somewhere.

So just one more question until I jet of into the wilderness - does the Spain AI know how to build cities with conquistadors? If so, will it still be an issue for a potential Australian civ?
I haven't seen Conquistador settle a city.
Personally, I don't like when AI doesn't handle a civ.

Reedstilt, I have quite unusual problem. First time I can't find proper city list for civilization. Best what I find is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_Nation
There are 14 counties with city lists, but to be honest I have little idea which to use. Any advice?

Newspaper will provide 1 + floor.sqrt(citizens number) culture and doesn't require colloseum (replacing Zoo).

Attachments

• litsh.png
    litsh.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 138
Reedstilt, I have quite unusual problem. First time I can't find proper city list for civilization. Best what I find is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_Nation
There are 14 counties with city lists, but to be honest I have little idea which to use. Any advice?

Newspaper will provide 1 + floor.sqrt(citizens number) culture and doesn't require colloseum (replacing Zoo).

So you're going with the John Ross version, then? That's my preferred version so I'm happy to hear that. I'll write up an appropriate list of cities for you soon. How many do you want?

And while I'm thinking about it, you used battle sites as Sioux cities, didn't you? I haven't played as them yet, but they recently showed up in a game so I got to see a few of there cities and that seemed to be the trend.

Just wanting to report a Bug. Was playing as Scotland recently and found that after I entered a new era, the technology chosen was Optics. All of my units however where unable to embark for the rest of the game - which made for some very interesting gameplay as the map was on Terra.

Also just wanted to point out that AI Zimbabwe is a total dick :p

So you're going with the John Ross version, then? That's my preferred version so I'm happy to hear that. I'll write up an appropriate list of cities for you soon. How many do you want?

And while I'm thinking about it, you used battle sites as Sioux cities, didn't you? I haven't played as them yet, but they recently showed up in a game so I got to see a few of there cities and that seemed to be the trend.
I am going with mixed version since I believe civilization should be represented through ages. For Sioux I have used Civ 2 city list (oh, childhood). I will be completely fine with list of important Cherokee places (battles etc.). I am recently using 29 city names.
To spoil it more, leader will be Edohi, because I couldn't find good enough John Ross' image. Fate.

Just wanting to report a Bug. Was playing as Scotland recently and found that after I entered a new era, the technology chosen was Optics. All of my units however where unable to embark for the rest of the game - which made for some very interesting gameplay as the map was on Terra.

Also just wanted to point out that AI Zimbabwe is a total dick :p
In my last game, they beat Iroquis in expansion, conquering Nepal and half of Timurids and Poland. Though, I love their colours.

On the other hand, Scotland makes only trouble. From colours to this unfortunate UA. Will see what I can do.

@Edit:
Fixed, Scotland UI nerfed (-1 culture and half the defense). New version uploaded.

Attachments

• litsh2.png
    litsh2.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 235
I am going with mixed version since I believe civilization should be represented through ages. For Sioux I have used Civ 2 city list (oh, childhood). I will be completely fine with list of important Cherokee places (battles etc.). I am recently using 29 city names.
To spoil it more, leader will be Edohi, because I couldn't find good enough John Ross' image. Fate.

I can easily make a list of 29 Cherokee cities; I'll get that to you either tonight or tomorrow. Also, what counts as a "good enough" picture of John Ross? Would this one work?

To precise "good enough" means easily adopted for diploscreen (1600x900). The picture you sent is not the best quality (it would probably be masked with filters), but requires to find a good table (perspective, hiding bottom) and I would probably be forced to make a second hand (I can't see good reason to hide it behind something). I have find other photos, but all of them were simply to small (quality lost not worthy it):
This one also has logo (minor issue), but I wouldn't steal it anyway.

My favourite one, a bit cut.

Bottom of image would require fixing.

Thinking about it now, I could brutally cut the head and use some other guy corpus, but... I am not truely enjoying Photoshop staff.

Anyway, Edohi as a leader will balance Post/Pre-columbian parts, since UA and UB will be modern.

In my last game, they beat Iroquis in expansion, conquering Nepal and half of Timurids and Poland. Though, I love their colours.

On the other hand, Scotland makes only trouble. From colours to this unfortunate UA. Will see what I can do.

Zimbabwe has such an amazing colourscheme no doubt, I think they just need to be lightened up a tiny bit so as to look a tiny bit glossier.

The colours for Scotland can certainly be tweaked I guess too. Perhaps throwing in some Mauve in there (sort of like an inverse England) could work. I also just want to point out that the Olmec Diplo screen is really cool and nicely done!

Looks like I'm obsolete! From that list, you'll want definitely want to include Kituwa (the ancient capital), Keowee (the early colonial capital), and New Echota (the late colonial, pre-Removal capital). Places that don't seem to be on that list that you'll want to include: Tahlequah (the post-Removal capital) and Ijodi (Old Echota, Edohi's hometown in the novel and an important town historically).

I'm trying to track down a better version of your preferred John Ross. If I find one, I'll let you know. Btw, what was the image of the guy wearing a bald eagle about?

Zimbabwe has such an amazing colourscheme no doubt, I think they just need to be lightened up a tiny bit so as to look a tiny bit glossier.

The colours for Scotland can certainly be tweaked I guess too. Perhaps throwing in some Mauve in there (sort of like an inverse England) could work. I also just want to point out that the Olmec Diplo screen is really cool and nicely done!
New Hint: try to not fix what is not broken. Earlier, I was changing colours scheme even several times, but never were satisfied anyway. Once, it's recognizable and readable, it is ok.
5 free tenets of freedom for a guy, who knows whose head I used to create Olmec leader. ;)

Looks like I'm obsolete! From that list, you'll want definitely want to include Kituwa (the ancient capital), Keowee (the early colonial capital), and New Echota (the late colonial, pre-Removal capital). Places that don't seem to be on that list that you'll want to include: Tahlequah (the post-Removal capital) and Ijodi (Old Echota, Edohi's hometown in the novel and an important town historically).

I'm trying to track down a better version of your preferred John Ross. If I find one, I'll let you know. Btw, what was the image of the guy wearing a bald eagle about?
Seems, the city list is no longer an issue. Thanks, guys.

The image with bald eagle is Edohi. Since he is "legendary", I could let my imagination go wild. The image is the figure. The eagle next to him looks quite silly. I will erase it or replace it with this badass more likely.
The background I have used is Tennessee national park.

Attachments

• litsh3.png
    litsh3.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 163
Regarding the Clan Castle - is there a reason it comes at Construction rather than Chivalry?

Also, I have to say, that the LS Civilization set V is by far my favorite!

Yes, this badass is Simeon I the great.

Chivalry had a little sense for me (I know that castle requires it), it comes too late and it is almost in the reinessance. The question is why I didn't make it Engineering. Probably to make it faster achievable for AI since I noticed it doesn't replace mines. I might change it.

I also find that with Set IV you can obtain fake Writer with Piza. To hotfix it on your own find "Durrani Units Mod.xml" and remove DefaultUnit:
Code:
	<UnitClasses>
		<Row>
			<Type>UNITCLASS_DUR_LS_MOD_WRITER</Type>
			<Description>Afghan poet</Description>
			[COLOR="Red"]<DefaultUnit></DefaultUnit>[/COLOR]
		</Row>
	</UnitClasses>

Some progress (Tatar Horde is after design phase and UA is already coded):
Spoiler :

Yes, this badass is Simeon I the great.

Chivalry had a little sense for me (I know that castle requires it), it comes too late and it is almost in the reinessance. The question is why I didn't make it Engineering. Probably to make it faster achievable for AI since I noticed it doesn't replace mines. I might change it.

I also find that with Set IV you can obtain fake Writer with Piza. To hotfix it on your own find "Durrani Units Mod.xml" and remove DefaultUnit:
Code:
	<UnitClasses>
		<Row>
			<Type>UNITCLASS_DUR_LS_MOD_WRITER</Type>
			<Description>Afghan poet</Description>
			[COLOR="Red"]<DefaultUnit></DefaultUnit>[/COLOR]
		</Row>
	</UnitClasses>

Some progress (Tatar Horde is after design phase and UA is already coded):
Spoiler :

Looking forward to the new civs! The Tatars will be a very interesting addition.

Since the Tatars are quite done and I have no idea when I will find time to make Cherokee and Bulgarian empire, I upload them. They will be nerfed in future so enjoy when you can. ;)

Download (speedyshare; 4 mb)

Tatars Horde with Togay Bey

UA <Nomadic Spirit> Land units can temporary claim neutral territory (3/3/2/1/0... Ancient/Classical/Medieval...) and have enchanced movement in own territory (each move costs maximum 0.75 movement point).

UU <Czambul> unique Tatar unit available with Metal Casting; mounted; 6 movement; ignore terrain cost; 60 production; 20 combat; +100% attack, -50% defense; requires 1 horse; suicidal.

UB <Yurt> stable replacement; no requirements; +1 horse resource, +20% production during training mounted units (instead 10%).

Have fun.

Tatar's are pretty good! :) I'm really excited about your take on Bulgaria. Will you be using Preslav or Sofia as capital?

Top Bottom