Resource icon

[BNW] Civilization guide: Indonesia (BNW)

Does anyone have Deity level recommendations to help Indonesia found a religion? The Candi does not seem like it enough of a buff. Opening Piety at the expense of Tradition or Liberty is asking for trouble too. So just cross your fingers and hope for a faith oriented pantheon?

Does anyone have Deity level recommendations to help Indonesia found a religion? The Candi does not seem like it enough of a buff. Opening Piety at the expense of Tradition or Liberty is asking for trouble too. So just cross your fingers and hope for a faith oriented pantheon?

Yup, if you want to found a religion, Candi won't really help. It has the potential to start generating significant amount of faith right after no more religions can be founded.

For deity, I'd say go to plan B if faith based pantheons aren't worth while for your starting location, which is save up that extra faith from Candi for somewhat earlier faith based persons of your choice starting in Industrial era.

Also, you'll get somewhat earlier great persons of all types since you'll be able to build Candi everywhere instead of being restricted to freshwater like its base building.

Well, I guess Indonesia-without-founding is not as bad as Byzantium-without-founding. Still, not founding seems like quite the handicap. I doubt I would feel like playing that out...

I realized recently that I've never played as Indonesia. My interest was piqued when a CS gifted me some Kris swordsmen (pretty good ones, no enemy blades.) I tried starting a game, but reroll and reroll I end up starting in coastal tundra with no fish, or jungle with no hills. Do they have a start bias of "sucks"?

Also the candi looks like an awesome building, but it arrives too late to help found a religion, and it's on a totally different tech path than the Kris swords, so you end up really delaying one or the other. I wonder if you're better off not founding a religion, and let the AI's keep converting your cities back and forth so you can accumulate all the faith buildings and at some point maybe use Jesuit Education? The candi is potentially a Stonehenge or grand temple in every city for buying great people later.

It seems obvious to use Liberty and go wide; settle a few cities on your own continent first, then a few islands for the spices. And if you do found a religion, take the Peace Gardens follower belief since every city will have a garden. I know not to settle a spice city on a luxury or strategic resource, but what about bonus resources like wheat, bananas, or sheep? Do those get zapped too? (I assume they do) Or strategic resources that haven't been revealed yet, like coal or uranium? I've seen maps where there was only one coal tile on the whole map.

Indonesia has a coastal start bias (and you can always disable it in the settings if you want).

I'm pretty sure the UA replaces all resources, regardless of whether they are bonus/luxury/strategic.

Started a game last night. King difficulty, small continents plus, raging barbs. Honor opener, then straight Liberty. The barbs were ridiculous at first, they had me pinned down for the longest time and so I couldn't really explore (got a lot of culture from barb kills, and allied to a cultural CS from it) I even delayed the free settler because of barbs. Anyway, when I researched iron, I built a couple of Kris swords and they were both "Enemy Blade". At least they weren't "Evil Spirit". Built one more later and it was a good one, "Ambition", I think. Decided I had more important things to do than gamble, so even tho' I delayed researching steel I didn't build any more.

The spice islands are awesome (I just settled my 2nd one, way out in the ocean surrounded by fish) and my candis are just starting to really generate lots of faith -- I sent cargo ships to other holy cities to pick up one or two followers. I need to post a couple of inquisitors to keep foreign prophets away; missionaries are welcome, prophets are not.

I have DoF's with everybody except Caesar, and I'm friendly with him just won't accept a DoF, and Shaka whom I just met. (I'm the only one who will trade with Caesar cuz he's being a jerk.) Game is going well in spite of the early delays. Not sure yet what victory condition I'm going for or which ideology I will take -- I need to figure that out soon because I'm at Scientific Theory.

To get the "Enemy Blade No More" steam achievement, I need to capture a city with a Kris with the Enemy Blade, right? Not a Kris upgraded to a longsword or musket? At some point I should be at war with Rome, and I can keep an embarked enemy blade Kris safely stacked with a battleship or something until he can take a coastal city.

I wonder if you're better off not founding a religion
No, not ever for Indonesia. The Candi is buffed by multiple religions, and your own is the easiest to seed. Do you want your cities with N religions or N+1 religions?
...let the AI's keep converting your cities back and forth
The AIs will do that (or not) on their whim. Your founding (or not) has very little to do with their behavior.
The difference with Indonesia is that getting your cities converted is no big deal, and there is very little reason to try and keep your cities following your own faith. Which is nice with the UA because those three remote island cities might not be anywhere near your Holy City.
...but what about bonus resources like wheat, bananas, or sheep? Do those get zapped too?
Yes. A tile can only have one special, apparently. Yes, you could accidentally blow away the only free coal tile or uranium tile on the map.

The more I think about it, Tradition might be good for Indonesia if you can build Hanging Gardens. That gets you a candi in time for it to help found/enhance a religion. (Mmmm, free candi) If you don't get Hanging Gardens, you'll still be able to build your garden-replacement w/o needing fresh water. And while you'll want to settle at least 4 cities, some of them can be delayed until Astronomy so there's no rush.

I'll try that approach next.

Playing another Indonesia game. Emperor level, with Tradition, Exploration, Rationalism, and Freedom.

I built 3 Kris swords: Enemy Blade then two Evil Spirits in a row. I used the Evil Spirits for suicide missions (draw fire while my cannons set up), and kept the Enemy Blade around as a garrison for one of my expos but never upgraded him, and eventually gifted him to a CS. I don't believe it's really random, I think it's weighted towards the bad ones, but I know my sample size is too small.

Top Bottom