Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Yet another issue. I understand that, in order to obtain a strategic resource, you need but a road connecting it to your cities. Is this false? I have 2 horse blocks connected by road to a city I captured a while ago (the roads are from the previous occupants), but I don't see that I have horses as resources in that city and I can't make horsemen. I have the wheel and horseback riding. Any suggestions?

If I should post a save, how do I do so?

Thanks for any help.

If the resource is not inside your borders you will have to build a colony to use them. This will use up one worker and the colony will disappear when a civ's borders cover the tile.

What is missing is a road to your trade network. Resources are either connected to the town via a road, if in borders or a road to a colony. If you do not have a road that can reach the capitol or a town with a harbor that can connect to the capitol or airports it will not be available to all towns.

A trade network is basically meaning that the capitol can connect to that town via road/harbor or airport. If you look in the city view of the capitol, you will see all resources that are connected to it.

If you look at the view in another town, you will see them as well, unless it is not connected. So that town is not on the grid or net.

In my current game, Theodora's navy has gotten stuck in a repeat loop and I can't get them to change. I've posted my ships in the places they 'used' but they are just using a different route but in that OCD loop anyway. Is it likely that the AIpatrol=0 ini would stop this for me? it's very annoying and dangerous if you don't want a war... yeah I know... Civ heresy

In my current game, Theodora's navy has gotten stuck in a repeat loop and I can't get them to change. I've posted my ships in the places they 'used' but they are just using a different route but in that OCD loop anyway. Is it likely that the AIpatrol=0 ini would stop this for me? it's very annoying and dangerous if you don't want a war... yeah I know... Civ heresy

I reckon AINoPatrol=0 probably wouldn't stop it. If you put it on AINoPatrol=1 that might work, but that would also mess up your barbarians.

thank you... it happens a lot ... ah well :lol:

How do losing units count towards unhappiness (republic)?
Also, I'm not at war, in republic and built some privateers, just to mess around. I lost one, does this also count towards unhappiness?

How do losing units count towards unhappiness (republic)?
Also, I'm not at war, in republic and built some privateers, just to mess around. I lost one, does this also count towards unhappiness?

It is kind of complicated, all the details are at http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/war_weariness.php but it is basicly losing an attacking unit costs 2 WWP and a unit being attacked costs 2 WWP (even if it wins). It is 30 WWP to a level.

There is no WW for losing hidden nationality units like privateers.

Does anyone have a chart of the ai difficulties such as where it shows the values of each trait, their adv. and disadv. over humans?

Does anyone have a chart of the ai difficulties such as where it shows the values of each trait, their adv. and disadv. over humans?

Go into the editor. activate custom rules, go the the difficulty settings tab. You can see the advantages the AI gets at each level. Regent level you are equal with the AI, above that they get a production/growth bonus, free units at start, less anarchy, and some free unit support. Tech costs go up for the human as well. At lower levels the AI gets a penalty.

I'm not sure what you mean by traits, if you look in the civilopedia you can see what each trait does, they don't change as the difficulty level goes up.

Difficulty Levels

The AI presents a very challenging opponent in all eras and all difficulty levels.
Civilization III has six difficulty levels, same as in Civ2.
Level Content Citizens AI Build Rate Barbarian Combat Bonus
Chieftain 4 200% 800%
Warlord 3 120% 400%
Regent 2 100% 200%
Monarch 2 90% 100%
Emperor 1 80% 50%
Deity 1 60% 0%

**AI build rate is how quickly the AI builds stuff (on chieftain it takes twice as long to build or advance). Barbarian bonus is the advantage your troops have over barbarians.

FREE Units: The AIs receive FREE units as soon as they build their first city on Monarch, Emperor, and Deity levels.What units they are given depends on the techs they start with. They get all warriors if they don't start with Bronze working (spearman) or warrior code (archers).
On Monarch level, the AI gets 2 free defensive land units and 1 offensive land unit.
On Emperor level, the AI gets 4 defensive units, 2 offensive units, and 1 worker.
On Deity level, the AI gets 8 defensive units, 4 offensive units, 2 workers, AND 1 settler!

Other effects:

Greater chance of getting goodies when you visit a goody hut on lower levels.

More units require no support on Chieftain and Warlord.

Corruption level is higher for higher levels.

Easier diplomatic opponents on lower levels.
Chieftain is easier than it was in Civ II and Deity is now harder. Below Regent level it cheats for the player, and above Regent level it cheats against the player. At Regent level there is no cheating.

Civilization III does NOT have a built-in cheat mode.

Except there's more difficulty levels in C3C and the info center was never really updated for the expansion.

I've been waiting to build the great library at a good time, but the time isn't my question though. It says I'll get a free civilization advance already learned/discovered by two other known civilizations. I have wiped out all the civilizations I know, just on my continent. Due to the embassies I established in them (I think) I know of american and japanese great wonder statuses. However, I have never spoken to either of them or seen either of their units. There is no civilization at my foreign adviser screen The closest I am to either is seeing a shred of the japanese cultural border from across the sea. I don't think I am considered to know them in terms of the great library benefit, however, I want to be sure. Will I receive the benefit right now?

Yes. To receive the benefit, there must be at least two civilizations remaining in the world.

If you wiped out everyone on your continent though, then your empire must be quite big, and your need for the GL is probably not necessary. GL is good at higher levels, but I usually find myself building it, and I play on Regent. It gives that boost through the Ancient Age and half of the Medieval Age that really helps.

Yes especially at the point where the game starts cheating in favour of the AI and once any civ gets a tech they all trade it instantly to everyone they know! After that you need the GL to keep up for a while, it's not that easy to keep a decent-sized military and a fast research rate altogether. Also, if the GL is in the AI's hands (usually a big rival) it means that once you trade your tech off to anyone else then these sods will get that tech immediately.

Note that if you have already learned Education, you will not be able to build the GLB. IOW if you waited that long, or are close to researching Ed, it has no value.

Note that if you have already learned Education, you will not be able to build the GLB. IOW if you waited that long, or are close to researching Ed, it has no value.

Almost true. Technically speaking, if you have already learned Education, you will not have the ability to start production on The Great Library, or swap to The Great Library once you've learned it. You don't have to finish though it before you learn Education though (the same also applies for the Temple of Artemis).

Top Bottom