The Great Lighthouse - disabled

v8_mark

Prince
So we have a map with plenty of coast and probably a few islands. Not that we were planning to build it or anything, but this is a very interesting decision nonetheless.

Does this mean Sailing goes up the priority list some?

To be honest, I would think sailing should go down in this case. Especially since after scouting so many coast tiles at this point, and we don't even have a single damn piece of crab-meat.

Now, on the other hand, I think I know what you are getting at. You want the trade-routes right? :p

Of course, if we are all isolated by ocean then it doesn't really do a damn thing for us, except for internals.

But one thing I am damn sure about, the Ragnar team is doing cartwheels on this map after getting such a huge advantage. And without a doubt, they are going after sailing pretty early (I would think) to get that dangerous UB out. Which unfortunately spirals off into yet another +1 for navigation bonus when they circumvent the world.

I would be more inclind to get sailing just so that we can sink their scout-boat(s) and galleys if they try to sail past us so we can block it. Of all the players on this map, the LAST person on earth we want getting the circumnav bonus is Ragnar. That's too dangerous for us (and everyone else).

If things go well for us here, we will be the first to triremes, and possibly by quite a large margin. We can even take liberties early and go on the offensive, pillaging sea tiles and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it. Unless they whip a big stack of galleys, which is going to be impossible since we are pillaging their food to begin with, haha!

But come what may, our diplo team needs to try to let the other teams all know that Ragnar is the danger on this map many times over. I think the Amazons on the other hand are crying. They may be realizing now that their Imp rush isn't going to work unless they get a bunch of galleys, and even then it isn't going to work. WE SHALL SEE!

If things go well for us here, we will be the first to triremes, and possibly by quite a large margin. We can even take liberties early and go on the offensive, pillaging sea tiles and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it. Unless they whip a big stack of galleys, which is going to be impossible since we are pillaging their food to begin with, haha!

That is devious! I love it!

Some good thoughts - here are mine:

The reason I thought Sailing might be up the priority list - you're right - is because I thought there must be some juicy trade routes available. Even without the GLH, the benefits of domestic off-shore trade routes are quite considerable early on, especially given that outside of an alliance, Open Borders will be at a premium.

You're right in that the Vikings getting circumnavigation early will be a big problem. We'll have to see how the diplomatic situation pans out, as that will be the key to this game, IMO - if it turns out our water territory is crucial to such an attempt, and we have triremes in numbers, it's very possible that we can lever this into some sort of advantage.

The diplomatic consequences, on the face of it, of a pillaging raid would seem to be counter-productive unless we have friends.

And we still don't really know what the map is like. It's some form of continents, though DaveMcW said he had taken some liberties (like, for instance, putting the GLH out of commission). I would be surprised if everyone wasn't reachable by galley, however, as that is something every team pretty much unanimously said they wanted, and I would be surprised if it was something as predictable as a 3-3 continent split. If I had to guess, I'd go for a 2-2-2 split, on roughly equally-sized continents, with some outlying islands reachable by galley.

Well, I think we should set up some sort of Mafia extortion ring here. Having a few triremes can be quite influencial when demanding PROTECTION payment for their sea-food resources, etc. And if not, then something BAD is going to happen. :p

Well, I think we should set up some sort of Mafia extortion ring here. Having a few triremes can be quite influencial when demanding PROTECTION payment for their sea-food resources, etc. And if not, then something BAD is going to happen. :p

me likey naughty scheme MWAHAHAH

Top Bottom