Hannibal/Quatronia Diplomacy

Being very close to successfully execute our gambit we would have really good leverage for tech trading and war with triremes which we shouldn't let go that easy.
I think we should warn them not to come closer with their work boat then what is line of sight to see one square into our sea tiles. We do not want to give information to the team which is soon to be in inferior position to us. Like Obs said, we will be a super force in the beginning with our small but powerful ships and who ever align with us should be treated with utmost respect and the rest should be afraid. In the end it will come down to eternal question: who has the OIL?

Therefore I suggest that current exchange with honored Hannibal in terms of information ends only at wide geographical info. We won't give specifics but should be able to demand them.

From past games of this nature, it seems that most teams give up before oil even comes into play.

I agree with Snaaty. No reason to dismiss quatronia. Assuming we win the oracle gambit, the only team we don't want to ally with is Ragnus. (2 perceived powers is likely to bring all other teams together.)

From past games of this nature, it seems that most teams give up before oil even comes into play.

I wasn't clear on that. I meant to refer to your comment about coming up with reasons to start a war (American Style, no pun intended).

I agree with Snaaty. No reason to dismiss quatronia. Assuming we win the oracle gambit, the only team we don't want to ally with is Ragnus. (2 perceived powers is likely to bring all other teams together.)

I agree. Ragnar has far too many advantages on this map. I'd like to convince just about everyone to shun them.

I am willing to forge FAKE letters by them, targeting others that we can pass along as a whistle-blower...:goodjob:

Until the situation is clearer we should act like everyone is our best and only friend in the world, being on the wrong end of 4:2 is not a good move.

As for the quads, well the only known player is Earthing, he is good but I remember how long he was active for with Team Cav. Also reading their sign up thread it seems they are allocated 1 city per person to freely manage, it worked resonable well in past games, but i'm not sure if it will this time. Take my comments with a pinch of salt, but I think they will be an 'also ran' in this game.

it seems they are allocated 1 city per person to freely manage

Sounds like a rookie club. I sure hope that's how they play this here. While our turn-player has total control and times each city in unison... our opponents can squabble in all kinds of directions and mess up basic yet important things like what 3 cities should draft this turn, and why so & so didn't have a barracks up in time and why so & so went food when the other went cottages and why the other..... etc.

As for the quads, well the only known player is Earthing, he is good but I remember how long he was active for with Team Cav. Also reading their sign up thread it seems they are allocated 1 city per person to freely manage, it worked resonable well in past games, but i'm not sure if it will this time. Take my comments with a pinch of salt, but I think they will be an 'also ran' in this game.

If this is true we need to make sure that the reason for their demise is mostly our taking advantage of them. We cannot afford to allow Ragnar, or any other civ, to assimilate our first neighbor. In a six civ world, and judging from the position of the "mainland" in relation to our island, that would have us probably cornered by a massive civ.

EDIT: And yes, like obs said in our crossed messages, sounds like a recipe for disaster, really...disaster for them. For us it should be a recipe for pie...:D

Response from Team Quatronia:

Greetings Mavericks,

We appreciate the fact that you made such a quick reply to our original private message using e-mail.

We also have a proposition to make:
A 50 turn Non-Aggression Pact, effective Turn 45. So basically, we just agree to not have any actual combat. Simple as that.

Trading should be an option soon, as we have reason to believe that you also started beside resources. We have some excess fresh clams and hearty wheat to offer at some point in the future, as well as some valuable items your citizens would definitely enjoy.

Our exploring ship, the Ganges, passed through many lands on the way to your fair territory. There is at least one empty landmass between us.

The land of the Continuum is on an island rather close to this landmass. If you wish to reach Quatronia, then you simply must follow the coastline of the southern landmass, and you will soon come to our lands. We have also made contact with another group of civilized people very recently.

As you may have deduced from the presence of the Ganges, we are also a very curious folk. It would be excellent for us to know if you have met any other civilizations and whether your countrymen have done any exploring themselves, or if there are any dangers such as high rocks in the area. Perhaps our adventures can piece this world together.

Your message also suggested possible technology trading. Unfortunately, we do not know how to bring all this potential new information back home, and we are not sure if you know how to either. We are currently looking into better methods of preserving ideas, as these stone tablets don’t seem to cut it. Rest assured, if our people discover these techniques, we will not hesitate to trade knowledge, as I hope you would too.

Naming is not an issue for us, just call us the Continuum, Quatronia, Q, whatever floats your boat.

Lastly, we would like to extend our congratulations that you have created a following for Hinduism, a highly respectable and prestigious religion.

Best Regards,
Ambassador Bowsling,
Team Quatronia

A 50 turn Non-Aggression Pact, effective Turn 45.

Obviously they are scared sh*tless, since we have triremes. This 50-turn thing isn't REALLY bounding anything is it? We can still backstab em if we want, or is this a legal agreement by the rules? If the game-hosts claim we have to honour it, then no way, don't make this deal.

Obviously they are scared sh*tless, since we have triremes. This 50-turn thing isn't REALLY bounding anything is it? We can still backstab em if we want, or is this a legal agreement by the rules? If the game-hosts claim we have to honour it, then no way, don't make this deal.

Do they know we have triremes? Has the Oracle announcement chimed in the game to all the civs?

Anyways, we can still negotiate it down to 25 or something. Signing the agreement would be a sign of good will, which is definitely worth something, especially since our main focus should be settling the main landmass in the immediate future.

If they are half competant, they should conclude from the demo that we have it.

I wouldn't even want to make a 25 turn deal. Better we have them scared shi*tless, which may stall them from settling stuff over-seas just yet. I don't like giving people what they want when it is to their advantage.

* Edit

Tell them that we already made a similar deal with someone else already, and part of the pact was we couldn't make any others. Let them try to guess who it could be.

I don't think that they are that dumb Obs.

Maybe is a stupid question but how do you think the other teams know what tech we chose from Oracle? Anyway I don't think we can fake that we met someone already, they will proceed sailing up north and they will meet someone else and they will ask them: "Did you guys meet Mavs?" and they will say: "Mavs who?"

My idea is to push them a bit. See how much they are aware of the possible damage that we can inflict with triremes. They did say that they have sea food after all. We should maybe ask them to shed some more light on the third civ they know. Maybe they have second work boat close to the third island, and they should be able to let us know if the third civ make landfall on central land mass.

If we have to go with NAP let's go with 25 turns only with no automatic renewal. If we want to bully people let's start being bullies.

I don't understand this NAP. Is it an enforced deal, or just flim-flam for the meta-game? I'd much rather have them sweating and fear us. We can extort a lot that way.

As for the oracle tech... everyone was fearing the Oracle --> Metal casting in the main forum. And OF COURSE they were all right to fear it. WTF does anyone think we were trying to do? The same thing that everyone else wanted to do. The old oracle --> MC gambit.

The only thing that fears them more than this, is if Ragnar pulled off the gambit. Super early triremes with +1 nav bonus on archipelago style map (holy sh*t!!).

:D

ok folks, concerning the nap discussion:

how many triremes do you think we can build in 50 turns with our tiny empire?

1. oracle is like 2 settlers, so we are the smallest nation
2. quatro must already have a city outside their starting island, cause they have 2;) health and 1 happy
3. we need friends, so better to start now
4. researching metalC takes with starts like this 15 turns. in my opinion its totally incorect to assume we have a "big" advantage now. in fact, i played in 2 demo games so far and we always got the oracle:D... ...and we never managed to build a single trireme bevor a second team had researched metalC (cause now we have to go for expanison. we are at the health cap at pop 3:cry: in city 2 with forge. we need cities and health, not enemies.
5. we wont win this game by bullying around the nations we need. we need to forge allies with 3 nations = partners and THEN we can bully around the other 2 nations.
6. if we manage to be part of a tech trading network, we can have maces and caravells around turn 100 and then we can kick one of the week nations without any problems (they will only have spears, katas triremes and axes, if they are not part of the trade network) our metalC is ideal to be part of said traiding network. it is our entry key but its not more, neither it will give us a big advantage (for every trireme we build, other nations will build a settler (or parts of) and grab precious land)

-> so please, please be friendly to quatro. first we need to find all neigbours, then we need to get a city on the central continent grabbing some health, then we can think about what we do. we dont have the production (nor the techs, we dont even have sailing:lol:) to build triremes within the next 40 turns, believe me folks

Well said Snaaty.

The Q are not an AI team to be bullied and pushed around, if some team started with an attitude like that to us we'd not be very cooperative, indeed I'd immeaditly want a to organise dogpile on their ass. I've played a couple of pitbosses by chucking my weight around early and being a dick diplomacy wise, it's never ended well, always ended in a 2 front war before 1AD.

We must be very nice to the Q and try to act honestly and in good faith, until the time is right of course when we have a proper tech advantage and miliarty superiority. Then we slaugher their soliders and pillage their cities, taking what we want for ourselves.

Until then Obs, you best bend over and grab that astroglide ;)

hello friends,

we seem to speak the same language. we are happy to hear of your proposal of stability and peace for the next 50 decades (nap for 50 turns). we are friends of open words and we have decided to share some insights about our people with you:

we have recently built a big temple in our capital, sadly loosing many slaves in the process of doing so. but at the opening ceremony, an oracle appeared and tought us the secret of metalcasting. it also said to us that we should follow the path of the goods some more and learn the secret of monosomething, which would allow us to build our cities and monuments faster then other people.

we have found precious gems near our cities and have several ricepatches.

your scouts seem to have done better work then ours, since you are the first civilized people we meet. what we know of the land between us is that is seems very big and might indicate even a continent rather then an island.

we are already planning to send out a ship with some settlers to claim a permanent settlement on that island/continent.

in addition, if you already have discovered writing we can invite you to enter in our territory and your brave sailors can have a rest in our impressive capital (we offer you open borders and you can approach our capital, so you can have traderoutes with us)

so much about us. but we have also some questions about your people:

do you live directly next to us, or is there any civilisation between us (are we island neighbours)?

what technologies do you have researched or plan to research? we are interested in trading metalcasting (672 beakers), poly (149 beakers), mono (179 beakers) and masonry (119 beakers). if you are interested in learning mora about our religions, we can also offer you to send you a missionary, if you provide a ship for him. we are especially interested in learing more about writing (179 beakers) and alphabet (448 beakers).

we are interested in trading health ressources with you, what or better when can you offer us something?

finally, we would happily agree in signing your offered peace treaty (described above), if we can find a simple solution how to share the island/continent between our nations. untill we both have scouted some more of said land, we propose a simple regulation: no nation settles a settlement that is closer to the other nations capital then to its own. our capital is 4 tiles west 1 tile south of your ship (turn 45). if you accept this, we can seal our treaty and start detailed negociacions about technologies and ressources and later, after knowing more about the land, we are sure we will find a way to share it in peace.

xx

Modified Snaaty's response. I'll make the closing remarks less goofy when I send it :)

Greetings Team Quatronia,

We will happily accept your non-aggression pact for the next 50 turns, so long as you do not aggressively settle near our lands. It is probably more appropriate to discuss this in more detail once we both have a better lay of the land. We look forward to building this alliance into a long-term friendship.

The recent constuction of the Oracle has been a cause for jubilation for our people. The divine properties of the structure have taught us the secrets of Metal Casting. This did not come without a price, however, as many citizens perished in the final stages of construction.

Our land is scattered with brilliant gems and bogs of rice, and some strange blue substance that we have yet to find a use for. Wheat and clams would both benefit our people greatly.

Your scouts seem to have done better work then ours, since you are the first civilized people we meet. What we do know is that the land between us seems very large is likely a continent rather then an island.

We do not yet have a way to exchange technologies either, but your willingness to share knowledge with us is very encouraging.

Are you anywhere close to discovering the secrets of Alphabet?

Do you live directly next to us, or is there any civilization between us?

Love,
TheMike
Team Mavericks mega-diplomat

P.S.
XOXOXO

Might I suggest we NOT automatically assume they know everything about the Oracle already? They'd have to be really slow to NOT get that but in the off chance that they don't, might it not be better to not brag about it? What would it benefit us to tell them all about it?

I was thinking about the same thing...

Top Bottom