Webshops for Civilization V - List by country

Direct2Drive £29.95

Current Release Date: September 21st, 2010 at 10AM PST.

This product is available for purchase in the United States, Canada, Mexico, France, Spain, Germany, Denmark, Greenland, Faroe Islands, Finland, Åland Island, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. This title installs and requires STEAM to play.

Anyone used this company befroe amd is this release date correct or been altered? Also do these download companies supply a manual in PDF.

Has anyone sent a question to Amazon.co.uk yet why they aren't listing the Special Edition? That would be my first choice to order the game from, but...
As a matter of fact I have, and received a long semi-standard answer indicating basically that the different Amazon sites are operated independently and they couldn't confirm or deny whether the Special Edition would be sold through Amazon.co.uk regardless of the fact that it was available at Amazon.com or Amazon.de.
Direct2Drive £29.95

Current Release Date: September 21st, 2010 at 10AM PST.

This product is available for purchase in the United States, Canada, Mexico, France, Spain, Germany, Denmark, Greenland, Faroe Islands, Finland, Åland Island, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. This title installs and requires STEAM to play.

Anyone used this company befroe amd is this release date correct or been altered? Also do these download companies supply a manual in PDF.
Yes, Direct2Drdive is for all intents and purposes a reputable company for on-line downloads. The release date of 21 September that you quote is the American release date. If you are purchasing the game outside US (e.g. in UK) then it's highly likely the game won't operate until the international release date of 24 September. A manual will be provided in PDF format as part of the download. As you can see in the first post, there are a number of web shops in the UK selling the game at a lower price if you prefer a DVD over a multi-GB download.

One of the known price breakers, CDWOW, has made Civilization V available for preorder in 10 countries, among which several new ones: Ireland, Japan and Hong Kong!

As far as I can tell, the prices are the lowest in every market. These prices include shipping (allow 10 days for shipping, according to their FAQ).

CDWow.com.au - AUD 51.95 (Australia)
CDWow.ca - CAD 45.99 (Canada)
fr.CDWow.com - EUR 35.99 (France)
CDWow.net - EUR 35.99 (Germany)
CDWow.ie - EUR 35.99 (Ireland)
CDWow.jp - JPY 4,000 (Japan)
CDWow.com.hk - HKD 350.00 (Hong Kong)
CDWow.nl - EUR 35.99 (Netherlands)
CDWow.se - SEK 339.00 (Sweden)
CDWow.us - USD 44.99 (United States)

For direct links see the OP.

EB Games in NZ will be stocking exclusively the Special Edition version. Price as yet unannounced. I have put a deposit down for it.

BradyGames' Official Strategy Guide for Civilization V has been unveiled.

The book has 208 pages and the contents are described as:
  • Maximize each Civilization's bonus abilities and units
  • Discover the path to Domination, Space Race, Diplomatic, and Cultural victories
  • Resource management tips improve your science, culture, and production
  • Follow efficient paths on the Technology Tree to unlock the best units, buildings, and World Wonders
  • Learn how to deal with City-States, new for Civilization V
EBGames.com/GameSpot.com sells it for USD 19.99 (release on 21 September).
Amazon.com sells it for USD 13.49 with release on 10 September.

I like to search for the cheapest prices for games with GamesTracker. For example here are the Civilization 5 pre-order prices. The cheapest price when I checked it was from HMV.com for £24.99 + £2.50 for shipping to Finland. At the current exchange rate that amounts to around 33 euros. I see that HMV.com is listed in the OP under United Kingdom but you can (pre-)order from there to (at least) other parts of Europe as well although you have to pay extra for shipping.

I'm sure this question has been asked and I did do a quick search of the forum to find the thread, but I couldn't, so here goes...

Does anyone know when/where we are going to be able to pre-order the special box edition of Civilization V?

No need to be rude, homie. Doesn't reflect well on you. I just didn't see it, incompetence not malice.

Strategy guides coming out before the game isn't necessarily unusual. Two weeks is kind of out there though.

I like to search for the cheapest prices for games with GamesTracker. For example here are the Civilization 5 pre-order prices. The cheapest price when I checked it was from HMV.com for £24.99 + £2.50 for shipping to Finland. At the current exchange rate that amounts to around 33 euros. I see that HMV.com is listed in the OP under United Kingdom but you can (pre-)order from there to (at least) other parts of Europe as well although you have to pay extra for shipping.
Interesting tracker. I'll add that to the OP. Thanks.

Can we get this stickyed please?
Thanks for the support, Grandad1982. That's most likely not going to happen for three reasons. First, we shouldn't have too many stickied notes cluttering the board. Second, the forum gets funding from sales through Amazon, so no reason to promote competition and third, making a note sticky is a good way to ensure it's overlooked. ;) People will find it through my signature, and if they ask questions, we can always point them in the right direction.

On Webhallen.com there is a clear description of what the pre-order "map packs mean". Thanks to Bluetooth to mentioning that Webhallen had increased its pre-order offer from 1 map to 3 maps.

Bonus. All customers who buy Civilization 5 receive unique bonus material in the form of 3pcs exclusive in-game maps, completely free of charge!

In-game maps:
• Cradle of Civilization: Asia
The Indus River valley was home to the early Harappan civilization while the Yellow River valley in China saw the rise of the earliest Chinese dynasties. Both these regions would be included on the same map (which would be dominated by the Himalayans and jungles of SE Asia between these two fertile zones).

• Cradle of Civilization: The Americas
Although civilization blossomed later in the western hemisphere, the region from Peru in the south to Mexico in the north was just as important as an incubator for the development of ancient cultures. This map would span this rugged area of jungles and highlands.

• Cradle of Civilization: The Mediterranean
The period of Classical Antiquity saw the rise of city states from Phoenicia, Greece, and later Rome and Persia. Their struggles all centered on the great sea in the “Middle of the Earth”, hence the name Mediterranean. This map will cover the entire Mediterranean basin including the nearby peninsulas and coasts where these great empires grew and prospered.

Based on these descriptions is is clear to me that each "map pack" is exactly one single map covering a realistic part of the world set in a particular time. Possibly they are a scenario in they have the selection of the civs and the starting age to match the era, but that's about it.

Top Bottom