Info on Next Patch

I play on "Cream Soda," myself. I tried Grape but it just seemed too artificial. Plus, weird aftertaste.

But yeah, great list of changes, I'll be curious to hear how they pan out once the patch is released. I dunno if I can make myself go back and keep trying the game after every patch, though. :(

I think the preliminary list of changes reflect what I thought from the beginning. Civ5 will gradually develop into a fantastic game. This is following a very similar path to Civ4 which most of you forget how much you hated at the beginning.
What I am not sure about is those things that are being deliberately held back for expansions. The first expansion has to be pretty far in development already and the one after that should at least have reserved some ideas. Just adding a few more civilizations to the game is not going to cut it. I can definitely see an expansion which allows 2UPT and therefore they will not address that.
To repeat, they are paying attention - screaming is not necessarily needed. They want the game to be good so you will buy the expansion. Money talks. AI use of mixed arms and tactical deployment is something I doubt will ever meet our desired level. I am more interested in the AI making adjustments to its strategic plan in light of other opportunities and pushing for cross the seas invasion (even if not done well.)

Can I just humbly state to all the people who complain about what is NOT in the patch that we have no way of knowing what is going to be IN the patch yet when it is released? Stop jumping to conclusions allready...

We have some early indication of what will likely be in after 2KGreg posted but this list is not complete nor finished. Anything can be added, removed or changed. Wait for the actual patch first before complaining about it. Even then, test it out and see what has been done. Just like last patch there are likely going to be some undocumented changes too and before you test it you don't even know for sure what the stuff that will be listed actually means.

I like the public declaration of friendship and public denouncement. If done right, perhaps there is a chance of building better long-term alliances or repairing hostile relations.

And if done wrong it'll be just another useless option because the AI will still DoW on you no matter what you do. Done right it'll be a small step toward better diplo, but it most likely won't fix it quite yet. So far this doesn't look like an overhaul for the system, just fleshing it out a bit better if anything, which is all we can reasonably expect.

I think the preliminary list of changes reflect what I thought from the beginning. Civ5 will gradually develop into a fantastic game. This is following a very similar path to Civ4 which most of you forget how much you hated at the beginning.
What I am not sure about is those things that are being deliberately held back for expansions. The first expansion has to be pretty far in development already and the one after that should at least have reserved some ideas. Just adding a few more civilizations to the game is not going to cut it. I can definitely see an expansion which allows 2UPT and therefore they will not address that.
To repeat, they are paying attention - screaming is not necessarily needed. They want the game to be good so you will buy the expansion. Money talks. AI use of mixed arms and tactical deployment is something I doubt will ever meet our desired level. I am more interested in the AI making adjustments to its strategic plan in light of other opportunities and pushing for cross the seas invasion (even if not done well.)

I absolutely agree. For me, the reason Civ 5 disappointed initially was because of how incredible Civ 4 had become after lots of time and polish. When Civ 4 came out I liked it quite a bit, because (for me at least) Civ 3 never reached that level of excellence.

2 upt or a big change like that takes time and effort. A rushed release of a major feature brings bugs and a host of balance changes. I'd rather just go for less ambitious but more effective patches. And once we get the SDK, anything is possible :D

Love the upcoming updates. :goodjob:
Some things still needed IMO, but this is great if we can move away from the every AI acts crazy or is an instant warmonger.

I think one of the first things they need, is an expanded Tech tree. Too easy to blow through technology as is. Need some filler techs or something.

Love the upcoming updates. :goodjob:
I think one of the first things they need, is an expanded Tech tree. Too easy to blow through technology as is. Need some filler techs or something.

The problem is that many of the techs are already quite meaningless. Buildings they unlock are useless etc.

The problem is that many of the techs are already quite meaningless. Buildings they unlock are useless etc.

Buildings are meaningless. They need to do a complete building overhaul. xD

Still no suggestion of beakers rolling over.
:(

Is it just me who hates the micro-managing?

I guess I still don't understand the need to have to beakers rolling over in the current game. Isn't tech research done much too quickly now as it is and with spillover, wouldn't that speed it up even faster?

There are a decent number of really, really bad buildings and a smaller number of bad buildings, which gets in the way.

The other problem imo is that you can beeline too far. You shouldn't be beelining for Renaissance-era military techs before you Classical era economy techs, but that's totally feasible.

I'm so tired of people on Civfanatics saying the game isn't playable. I play it all the time, therefore, it is playable. And I enjoy it.

I play it all the time, therefore, it is playable. And I enjoy it.

The game is playable for me, but that doesn't hold true for everyone. What we have is these assinine generalizations being thrown about. It may be playable for me and it may be playable for you but for someone else it may not be playable. In my opinion, both sides are guilty of using these all encompassing absolutes.

This is what leads to trolling; this entire vicious cycle of generalization - exception-criticism-counter-generalization-exception-criticism. Every time one makes a generalization it is a challenge, not a statement of opinion because unless you are a deity, you will most likely not know if something is universally true. So folks, stop trying to overcompensate for your opinion, by making it sound universal.

Thus can we please keep the patch thread from being a another loveboi/hateboi flamefest please?

Rat

???

Flavor settings?

Look at the leader XML files. Some are supposed to have preferences for certain types of things. For instance, Elizabeth builds more ships, Ghengis builds more cavalry (I assume, haven't looked at the numbers there).

You know, you don't actually have to micromanage like that. Unless you've got OCD or something.

Especially on fast game speeds there really is a huge premium associated with micromanaging technology spending - which is now far more tedious with no global slider.

So, yes, you don't technically need to - you will just advance much. much faster if you do. And it's utterly unnecessary - you shouldn't have mechanics in the game which favor players having to do tedious things.

I hope there's a way to turn off explicit diplo modifiers

There is. It's called "not hovering your mouse over the area until the tooltip appears."

I guess I still don't understand the need to have to beakers rolling over in the current game. Isn't tech research done much too quickly now as it is and with spillover, wouldn't that speed it up even faster?

No, tech is not too quick now (especially if you don't abuse the ICS bug): I consistently win the game around the midpoint of the tech tree. And, no it wouldn't necessarily make teching faster anyway, if for example tech costs were adjusted to compensate for the average amount lost to research overflow in the current system. Or, if they just had the extra beakers convert to gold, say. The problem now is that you end up wasting a tremendous amount of resources unless you're wiling to constantly monitor your tech progress and adapt your tech rate and tech chosen based on minimizing overflow (e.g., would you choose a 100 beaker tech if you're generating 33 beakers a turn?). Plus, having cities build research is almost completely useless now, because without overflow they usually end up generating beakers that are just lost in the overflow anyway. The main change from adding tech overflow is that we wouldn't be penalized for playing the game in a fun way instead of doing tedious arithmetic calculations.

No, tech is not too quick now (especially if you don't abuse the ICS bug): I consistently win the game around the midpoint of the tech tree.
How is that not too quick? You have won the game without even experiencing half of the content in it.

I think the tech pace is definitely too quick. I remember back in Civ 3, I was struggling to win a space race before 2050, even on easy difficulty levels. Now I can launch a space ship well before 1950, and that's on higher difficulty levels and without even gunning specifically for a space victory.

IMO, a proper tech pace should require a strong player to be close to 2050 when he finishes the tech tree (and weaker players would not be able to finish it at all).

Top Bottom