stagnation problem

howard hahaha

Chieftain
How can I get off from stagnation?
I was once attacked by Gandhi.
I defeat him. He signed peace treaty with me,
And give me 8 cites, I annex them all.
Then,I see they are in serious starving,and cannot build anything,
In next turn, they become stagnation and just produce courthouse in ??? turns .
How can I produce things again?

Welcome to the Civilization Fanatics' Forum! :)

You have to wait for several turns to build things. Near the city icon, you can see a bar, which indicates the health of your city. After it turns green and disappears, you can build things.

Also, before the city recover, population won't drop.

Yes, but you took them - It's citizens are in revolt. Wait until the burning picture (or swords picture, I forget which is revolt and which is razing) below the city name disappears (it will say the required number of turns if you hover over it). The chains picture in the OP mean it's occupied, which it will continue to be untill you build a courthouse after the end of the revolt.

Well, "free" cities aren't always what they're cracked up to be. What you should have done is puppet all of the cities initially, after making an initial "raze or not" decision. When you are initially presented with the choice of annex, puppet or raze, go into "view city" to decide if the city is worth keeping and, if worth keeping, whether it is a likely future annexation candidate, a permanent puppet, or better off razed or sold to another civ (e.g., the city is standing alone, far from your core empire, and can't really be defended) or you want to bolster a weaker civ as a buffer against a more dangerous civ).

When the puppeted cities cease being in revolt (they are grumpy, after all, because they weren't asked by their previous glorious leader whether they wanted to join your empire), you can build (or even better, buy) a courthouse in those cities that you choose to annex.

In general, you don't want to willy-nilly annex cities. Some aren't worth developing (you can't control what puppets are doing, but they stay on gold focus) and any annexed city will increase future policy costs (on standard its 15% per additional city, so it adds up quickly).

Yes, but you took them - It's citizens are in revolt. Wait until the burning picture (or swords picture, I forget which is revolt and which is razing) below the city name disappears (it will say the required number of turns if you hover over it). The chains picture in the OP mean it's occupied, which it will continue to be untill you build a courthouse after the end of the revolt.
Just to clarify, the icon for a city in resistance is a red hand. City will be in resistance for one turn for each citizen it has. You can't produce anything until resistance stops.

Like others have said, never annex a city right away - if you want to keep it, always puppet it and wait until resistance is over. Annexing it right away will only result in extra unhappiness for those turns and won't give you anything useful because city can't produce anything (buildings, science or gold) in those turns. Once resistance is over, you can annex if you want to.

Just to clarify, the icon for a city in resistance is a red hand. City will be in resistance for one turn for each citizen it has. You can't produce anything until resistance stops.

Like others have said, never annex a city right away - if you want to keep it, always puppet it and wait until resistance is over. Annexing it right away will only result in extra unhappiness for those turns and won't give you anything useful because city can't produce anything (buildings, science or gold) in those turns. Once resistance is over, you can annex if you want to.

Good advice...

One other thing... should you decide to annex (once resistance is over), either build, or preferably buy, a Courthouse immediately.

This experience matches my first time accepting cities in a peace offer. It was a disaster (instant 80 global unhappiness) and I immediately handed all the cities off to other civs.

Now I never take cities in a peace offering. It is usually a better fit with current happiness level to conquer instead, which rather conveniently reduces crowding / murders people. Plus the capitulation offer often includes every city but the one you actually want.

Anyway whenever your empire has turned into a mess give thought to selling puppets. You can actually weaken a neighbor by giving them a far-off city that neighboring civs go to war for, it's fun.

This experience matches my first time accepting cities in a peace offer. It was a disaster (instant 80 global unhappiness) and I immediately handed all the cities off to other civs.

Now I never take cities in a peace offering. It is usually a better fit with current happiness level to conquer instead, which rather conveniently reduces crowding / murders people. Plus the capitulation offer often includes every city but the one you actually want.

Anyway whenever your empire has turned into a mess give thought to selling puppets. You can actually weaken a neighbor by giving them a far-off city that neighboring civs go to war for, it's fun.

As a rule I never sell cities to other Civs. If I don't want them, I raze them. They always end up being a thorn in my side in the long run typically anyway.

I do however acknowledge that trading oddly placed and far flung cities to other Civs could definitely incite conflict between them. But if i'm going through the effort to march an army that far away i'm usually playing for all the marbles anyway.

Also, when I first started playing I didn't realize how screwed your empire would get from from all the instant cities and unhappiness that goes with it the submission peace treaties.

The best course, in my opinion, is just to conquer and keep (puppet or annex) the cities you want,1 by 1, and to burn the rest. Your army needs the xp, and it lets you gradually adjust to happiness changes.

-Dental

For now, play it safe and follow the general advice posted already in this thread. Later on, when you have a better understanding of how the game mechanics work and have a lot more wins under your belt, you can get more creative in how you deal with these kind of situations. There is no single 'best' way to go about it, as every CiV game is different, and every gamer is different.

I've done all of the different variations already mentioned, in different games. But now I approach every war and every 'surrender' scenario with a sharper eye to benefiting my current civilization's victory condition. Whether you annex or puppet, may depend a lot on whether you are going for domination, science, culture, or whathaveyou. Same with whether you raze most or all of the cities you end up getting. A lot depends on the cities themselves- their locations, resources, luxuries, population, whether I need any of them for bases for expansion, or forts for defense, or if I'd be better off with a bunch of razed areas to buffer me from my enemies for a while.

And of course, the happiness thing... in G&K, it shouldn't be terribly hard to keep at least a moderate amount of banked happiness for your CiV... if you are in low single figures going into a war scenario where you expect to end up with captured cities, that is way not good. Especially 'gifted' cities when your enemy caves in... they have much higher populations than invaded/captured cities, and cost you a lot more happy's. At any rate, once I win a war that way and end up having to decide what to do with multiple new cities, I'll usually accept them all, and puppet them all right off. The next turn, you can decide which ones you want to keep, annex later, sell off, raze, leave puppeted, or whatever.

Any major city with good resources, decent population, and maybe even a Wonder or two, is a good candidate for eventual annexation. Especially when they have a lot of mines and can be turned into a high production city. Cities with mostly grass and plains and such, I leave as puppets and send in the peons to turn them into gold factories dotted with trading posts. Small, ineffectual cities that the AI spammed in stupid places, with no important resources and limited future benefit from letting them grow, I'll raze. And if I'm going culture, I'll probably just leave them all puppeted, so as not to screw up my culture numbers.

And, in some circumstances, you may just want to not accept all of the cities offered... you can refuse all or some of the cities that are offered to you, in the armistice screen. For instance, if the civ you just beat is not a huge threat to you, and you want to leave them with enough resources to defend themselves (and you) from another bigger threat nearby. If you are not going for domination vic, this can sometimes be a valid strat- you know the putz you just beat will likely never be a serious threat to you, but you want them to at least remain a half-decent speed bump for that runaway civ on his other side.

There are a bazillion factors that can influence how you deal with captured cities, and you'll get the hang of it, with experience :)

Top Bottom