Civ4 BTS v3.19 Patch

My link forwards you to the CFC download of the patch. Click on the link to the top right to download ("Download File"). It's all you need. Screw Firaxis.

oh wait...I see. It no longer works. Used to could download it directly.

edit: I'm at a loss. It appears patches have been removed from the Firaxis site. Bizarre. Only thing I can suggest is the 3rd party sites also listed in that link.

Within the past month, I did a new BTS install and downloaded the 3.19 patch. The Firaxis site did not have it, that I could find. At the top of this page, if you open the Civ4 drop down menu and select the "Patch & Update" link, the first item on that page is a link to mirrors that have the patch. I looked at a few of them and downloaded it from one. I don't recall which one, but you should have no trouble finding a mirror that suits you. The patch I got that way works fine.

Hi, I'm on windows 7 and I can't install the patch 3.19.

I just downloaded the game from steam. I downloaded the patch, but when I press "install" the installer simply crashes.

Also, when I try to install patch 3.17, I get the message that the game itself is not installed.

Would appreciate some help with this. I can't start the game even, I get an XML error. I read that I should install the patch to see if it helps. But I get errors everywhere.

Steam has installed the latest version already.

The patches that you are trying to install look for the game in the standard application folders. However, Steam installs its games elsewhere, so the patches cannot find them. In the game, check the version number. If you recently downloaded it from Steam, it should already be patched to 3.19. If it is not, you need to download the patch from Steam.

I'm having difficulty installing the patch.

I've downloaded it through the game, from Filefront, and from Atomic Gamer, but none of those versions work.

To be precise, when I start them, it goes to the InstallShield wizard, I accept the EULA, and it goes to the install page, and I press install. Then the wizard shuts itself down - I've checked in Task Manager, and the process closes itself after about a minute.

I'm running the Complete edition, which I acquired second-hand at CEX. Has that anything to do with it?

Complete itself is not a problem. I installed it that way back in April. However, mine was a new still shrink wrapped box.

Can you run the game without installing a patch? (Just to test if the install worked properly.) If not, then reinstall. While in the game's main menus, check the version number. If the version is old enough, you will have to install earlier patches before you can run the latest one.

Also, which OS are you running?

Complete itself is not a problem. I installed it that way back in April. However, mine was a new still shrink wrapped box.

Can you run the game without installing a patch? (Just to test if the install worked properly.) If not, then reinstall. While in the game's main menus, check the version number. If the version is old enough, you will have to install earlier patches before you can run the latest one.

Also, which OS are you running?

Install runs properly, but version is 3.0.0.1. I'm using a 32-bit XP PC, but I was able to update my original Civ 4 without problems.

According to instructions for installing 3.19 in the Technical Support forum, you need to have version 3.17 before you can install 3.19 patch. The 3.17 patch should be in the downloads area. I don't know if the 3.17 patch will work on the 3.001 version or if you will need another intermediate one. If you can't get the 3.17 patch to install either, I suggest asking in the Technical Support forum. Although you may have to wait a couple of days for an answer there, several very knowledgable folks who don't frequent the General forum check the Technical one every few days.

According to instructions for installing 3.19 in the Technical Support forum, you need to have version 3.17 before you can install 3.19 patch. The 3.17 patch should be in the downloads area. I don't know if the 3.17 patch will work on the 3.001 version or if you will need another intermediate one. If you can't get the 3.17 patch to install either, I suggest asking in the Technical Support forum. Although you may have to wait a couple of days for an answer there, several very knowledgable folks who don't frequent the General forum check the Technical one every few days.

Did as you suggested, and it works now.

I tried re-installing the game again, but the update within the game keeps saying I have the newest version (3.17). I've always been able to update within the game before if I run the game as admin.

Have they just removed 3.19 from the update server, or closed the update server?

I found the manual download, but it's nice when you can just do it within the game.

PS, I'm using windows 8.1 pro wmc x64 and Civ IV Complete.

See post immediately preceding yours.

The "Atomic Games" provided me with a dead executable, or at least that didn't run in my OS. On the other hand the "FileFront" option worked for me. "FileSchak" is a dead link.

Hope to help someone with this info.

I just re-installed yesterday.
Windows 7 Ultimate, Civ IV Complete.
Just put the DVD inside box and it worked. Then I installed the 3.19 patch, as admnistrator, and it worked. Launch BTS as adm.
I know nothing of computers, so I ask for help, please.
I want to make a safety "copy" to be kept outside of the computer. Is that possible?
Like to a DVD or pen.
Would someone be kind enough to guide and help me, please.
My thanks in advance.

Of course. I knew this would happen eventually.
I reinstalled Civ4 Gold and BTS. It shows my version to be 3.03
I clicked the "Check for Updates" and it said non were available. I knew 3.19 is available.
I downloaded the 3.19 patch and have totally forgot which folder to extract the files in to.
The BTS folder? Custom Assets? Mod?
Anyone remember?

Also, do we have to install 3.17 first then 3.19, or just 3.19?
IIRC, this patches it so it doesn't need the CD and then "Check for Updates" might detect the 3.19
It's been so long I forget.

"Check for Updates" doesn't work anymore, since it looks for the no longer existing CIV page on the publisher's web site.

The patch should find its own way to the correct folder, using the data in your system registry. If it doesn't, then the BTS folder is the one to target.

If you need to install 3.17 first, you should get an error message when you try to install 3.19 to the effect that it won't install for one reason or another. If you don't get such a message, check the properties of the exe and dll after installing to be sure that the version number is now 3.19. (It will probably say 3.1.9 instead of 3.19) If it is still 3.03 then you will need 3.17 first.

Thanks. Yea. That was it.
I installed 3.19 into the BTS folder and it loads, but still requires the CD and shows 3.03 still in the 'about' section. :(
I don't see the patch on the windows uninstall list or a way to uninstall it from the game.
I guess I have to uninstall BTS, reinstall it. Then install 3.17 to ensure the remove CD part and reinstall 3.19.

Weird install/game launch issues on DVD CivIV Complete version under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

CiV IV fan forever :) Been playing for years on my 'old game' XP (offline) based PC, with/without mods etc. Just a great solid Civ game, the best (still).

I've had a strange recent experience when i tried to install it on a new PC, Windows 7-64bit based, and ended up spending hours (mostly on CFC threads) looking for a solution to the problem i was getting.

The default installed game works fine, but as soon as i go through the process of installing patch 3.17 for BtS (game still runs fine at this point), then patch 3.19 for BtS, BtS itself will not run, the process just shuts down before any loading pop-up screen. I've tried ALL the patches from all the current available places, numerous times. I've installed DirectX9 standalone (and all of the other tips). I've reinstalled the game from scratch about 8 times over the last 24 hours or so.

---------------------

Game version: DVD CivIV Complete edition (EU).

On Windows 7 this will not autorun from the DVD player, so you need to explore the DVD contents and right-click on the setup.exe to run as admin. Game installs fine like this.

I set the game to custom install mode so i can change the path to NOT go in the \Program Files(x86) default to avoid an UAC issues.

Curiously BtS is installed with admin privileges where the default CivIV and Warlords exe's are not, and this is the first issue, after the admin install from DVD if you try to run BtS it will give you this error message:

Please insert the correct DVD-ROM, select OK and restart the application. Click here for more information about this error.

You fix that by going to the Civ4BeyondSword.exe and un-ticking the run as administrator box (If these options are greyed out, click the 'Change settings for all users' button and do it via that). The problem here is the disc-check DRM stuff see's the admin installed BtS exe as 'different' from the normal from DVD install (where the DVD autoruns and installs itself).

You can now launch BtS as you could Civ4 and Warlords, and you still need the DVD in the drive to do so.

At this stage (default DVD Complete version) my BtS game has this 'about' info:

Civ Version: 313
Save Version: 301
Build Version: 3.0.0.1 (81539)
Build Date: Fri Sep 21 19:16:18 2007
Build: FINAL RELEASE
Mod Name: None

-----------------------------------

Patching:

Taking the advice of first running the BtS 3.17 patch as Administrator (right-click on the patch exe and select 'run as administrator'), then the BtS 3.19 patch (also as admin) will cause the bug/issue of BtS not being able to be run at all.

The only solution i've found is to just install Bts 3.19 patch onto the base Civ Complete DVD game install. After doing so you can re-select 'run as administrator' and the various compatibility modes (XP service pack 3 etc), as the 3.19 patch removes the DVD check DRM stuff.

After just installing the BtS 3.19 patch you get this 'about' info:

Civ Version: 319
Save Version: 302
Build Version: 3.1.9.0 (128100)
Build Date: Thu May 14 15:17:10 2009
Build: FINAL RELEASE
Mod Name: None

You won't need the DVD in the drive any more and you should not get any of the various errors i've seen reported around the problems of getting the BtS game to run on modern OS.

I've no idea what the BtS 3.17 patch does to the process to break the later 3.19 patch on this DVD version of the game, or even if it means i'm missing stuff from the game, but it at least runs ok and i can now move on to adding the awesome FFH2 and Dune Wars mods :)

I hope this helps some people, as i've been doing all sorts of things to try to fix the problem i was seeing. If on the DVD CivIV Complete edition, just use the BtS 3.19 patch only, nothing else.

However if anyone has some idea's on what the problem of patch 3.17>3.19 is, and how to install both patches on the version i'm talking about, then please do share :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom