New Features @ Civ V homepage

Seems to me easily fixed by making starving people count towards unhappiness as well.
Can you please be clearer what you mean by this? I thought it was a given that every citizen contributes to the happiness cap already, and whether or not the city is starving is irrelevant in the calculation of whether your empire is happy or unhappy.
Yes, you can still try to eploit it, but you risk going from merely having unhappiness to being deep in trouble.

Sounds very vague to me. What is "deep in trouble" to you?

Thyrwyn said:
Not having the choice to grow is still a consequence, even if you can switch your cities to some other focus. You could also consider easier growth a reward for keeping your people happy. Just because your people start at happy, doesn't mean that is the "zero-state".

Not having the choice to grow (or more accurately ... the choice to grow being less attractive or less efficient) is not necessarily going to be much of a disincentive for much of the game. Unless the game is designed so that cities are growing quickly for most of the game, I would assume there are times when your empire is not experiencing much growth. It could simply be because you're at a stage of the game where you are mostly blocked in and you are focusing on building military for conquest as opposed to growing your cities larger (and unhappier).

I can imagine that city growth will be more important in civ5 than it was in civ4. Cities can reach more tiles now and there seems to be heavier dependence on city size for production of :science:, but it doesn't completely remove my concern. Often the ways that features get exploited to the max (like chop overflow on wonders in civ4 for example) are not all that obvious at the design stage and still not anywhere near obvious at the beta stage (or whatever you call the game at its current point of development).

Consider another abused mechanic in the early days of civ4 - anarchy. IIRC originally there was no restriction after changing civics on how soon you could change civics again. Players abused that in their early conquest campaigns by taking advantage of the fact that there were no maintenance costs during anarchy. These players forfeited the chance to grow their cities (no food collected during anarchy) but they were still perfectly able to capture cities and even obtain more gold for those captures. Perpetual anarchy was undoubtedly an exploit and even today it is banned for HOF games despite it being much reduced in effectiveness thanks to patches.(actually I can't find evidence of this in the HOF site so maybe it has been removed from the rules)

Reducing growth rate, if it doesn't affect cities that aren't growing much anyway if at all, does not sound like much of a negative consequence of empire unhappiness. This is why I'm assuming there will be other effects that come along with the unhappiness. I think reduced combat effectiveness has been mentioned as well, but even that is likely to have negligible effect during times of peace.

Not having the choice to grow is still a consequence, even if you can switch your cities to some other focus. You could also consider easier growth a reward for keeping your people happy. Just because your people start at happy, doesn't mean that is the "zero-state".

Seeing as science is based off of population you are impacting your science as well. So civilizations with access to a lot of luxury resources I would think would be larger and more scientifically advanced than civilizations without luxury resources.

Can you please be clearer what you mean by this? I thought it was a given that every citizen contributes to the happiness cap already, and whether or not the city is starving is irrelevant in the calculation of whether your empire is happy or unhappy.

+1 unhappiness for every food shortage you have. If you have a 10 pop city, and your food storage is shrinking by 2 every turn, it would generate 12 unhappiness.

Sounds very vague to me. What is "deep in trouble" to you?

The second level of unhappiness that exists in the game. When you initially go unhappy, the only negative effect is slower growth. When you reach a certain amount of net empirewide unhappiness (i.e. happy-unhappy), the effects get worse, with no growth at all, can't build settlers and your units fighting with a penalty.

If you are deliberately keeping your population low to avoid unhappiness, that's not an exploit, it's a choice. You're missing out on the potential benefits of that extra population. Whether that is net gain or a net loss would, I expect, depend on a lot of factors.

+1 unhappiness for every food shortage you have. If you have a 10 pop city, and your food storage is shrinking by 2 every turn, it would generate 12 unhappiness.

Honestly that would probably create more problems than it solves. Are you actually suggesting a system where changing citizens around in one city will affect the happiness and hence growth rate of every other city in your empire? Much more likely is that happiness will depend on things that are at least static during the turn. If I take a citizen off a farm in city X to be employed as a scientist, then the citizen working the farm in city Y suddenly produces less food.

If you are deliberately keeping your population low to avoid unhappiness, that's not an exploit, it's a choice. You're missing out on the potential benefits of that extra population. Whether that is net gain or a net loss would, I expect, depend on a lot of factors.

Who said the population has to be low? In fact I've been saying that usually the time that growth is slowed or zero is when your cities are already large.

In civ4, running at -1:food: for a turn then +1:food: for a turn has the same effect on city growth (assuming not passing either end of the food bar) as 0:food: for 2 turns. At the moment, it sounds like in civ5 they are not the same.

And just to reiterate, Arioch, I'm not calling this an exploit. A well known player, obsolete, always did and still does argue that Protective Stone chop overflow on walls was not an exploit. It was patched out in BtS 3.19. Getting into arguments about whether something is an exploit or not is mostly pointless. I just want to help avoid game mechanics where to make most efficient use of them requires tedious micro or very unintuitive and "gamey" steps.

Such as how much does each additional unhappiness affect your gold, science, hammer & culture output. Is it equivalent to a citizen removed from the pool as in civ4 (e.g., total pop 14, 1 unhappy reduces each of these by 1/14)? It may not be unprofitable to exceed your happy limit to a small degree ... in moderation, of course. :)

Another bleepin' 47 days. :(

Top Bottom