[MOD] Fall from Heaven

Kael said:
Yeap, that could be done.

Oh good, here's a chance to give some ideas.
1. Elves get nature spells.
2. Dwarves get earth spells.
3. Drowns get water spells.
Basically this stuff is to make those units more appetizing. Especially because the improvements that give them XP would allow one spell in the beginning.
4. Paladins, High Priets, Crusaders, Paramanders, and Preists of the Order and can cast law sphere spells.
5. The heros can cast the appropriate spells. This will be really fun since they get lots of leveling thanks to their promotion. I could just imagine going into battle with a Rosier, then summoning like 10 skeletons at once.
6. Hmm. What if the crusaders the order got when expanding started with 2 XP. Then you could chose to cast a nice law sphere spell and reduce maintinence in the city, or get a military style promotion.
7. The demons summoned by Gate to the Abyss could use the demon style magic (fire and death).
8. Mind stapling would give the OO ships the ability to use water spells. Then when this is combined with the drydocks giving starting XP, the OO will have a navy to be reconed with!

Now that we might have a way to have spells give XP, this will be very fun!

Hey Kael,

great mod, but I noticed a small mistake in the spelling of one of the world wonders...

You have it spelled "Chicken Itza," and, even though quite humerous to me, it is actually spelled "Chichen Itza," with an "h."

Or, Mayans also spell it "Chich'en Itza." The Maya name "Chich'en Itza" means "At the mouth of the well of the Itza." Which, I believe, Itza is the name given to several of their great rulers.

But actually, all of this is wrong if you want to get technical. Chichen Itza is the name of the whole ancient city, the temple that was the wonder was the Temple of Kukulcan, or as the Spanish referred to it as "El Castillo (the castle)," and that's the great step pyramid in the center.

But great mod!

-XG

Xeno Ghost said:
Hey Kael,

great mod, but I noticed a small mistake in the spelling of one of the world wonders...

You have it spelled "Chicken Itza," and, even though quite humerous to me, it is actually spelled "Chichen Itza," with an "h."

Or, Mayans also spell it "Chich'en Itza." The Maya name "Chich'en Itza" means "At the mouth of the well of the Itza." Which, I believe, Itza is the name given to several of their great rulers.

But actually, all of this is wrong if you want to get technical. Chichen Itza is the name of the whole ancient city, the temple that was the wonder was the Temple of Kukulcan, or as the Spanish referred to it as "El Castillo (the castle)," and that's the great step pyramid in the center.

But great mod!

-XG

Welcome to the forums, and the mistake is intentional. If you will notice the picture is of a chicken and I belive it even clucks when you build it. For years in former versions of Civ I always read chichen itza as chicken itza, so with the mod I finally had my chance to make it the way I always read it.

loki1232 said:
Hey, no response to my stuff about the spells?

I like the ideas. I don't think players would choose a temporary spell instead of a permanent boost like a promotion unless I made a seperate group of more powerful spells just for that.

Im hoping that soon I will be able to allow spells and leveling and get to the origional design.

Well, then that's strange because it looks like Kukulcan and when built it looks like it.

I see no chicken. lol

IDK. IF they were planning for the unit to die, they might want the spell. Also, the spells would be powerful enough to maybe turn a battle, whereas a promotion wouldn't.

Here's some more ideas:
1. Catapults and archers get a spell which gives them a large strength bonus and their attack counts as fire the next time few times they battle. This symbolizes them using fire arrows/stones once in a while.

The way you could have them chose the spell would I guess depend on the situation. These spells would be very effective against some things, and pitiful against others.
Also, these spells would give them half rounded down of the XP they needed to level again. This way it wouldn't be too much of a sacrifice.

loki1232 said:
I seem to just be running into brick wall after brick wall.

Could you make it so that whenever you are of a religion, your units get acess to new spells? You could allow this for some Disciple units. The order could allow them to use a spell whenever they got full XP, instead of leveling. The player would have to make this choice: Level or cast a spell. Then they would have to go fight more battles and gain more experience.

Kael said:
Yeap, that could be done.

Obligatory RAH RAH RAH!!! Best Mod to date for CIV4!!!

On to business...

Is this an alternate to the mages never leveling? Use the Hero script to constantly give the mage XP, and use the leveling to cast spells. Thus if you wait a long time (before a war starts) you can save up several fireballs/spells to fire off at once, but then you would only be able to cast a spell every other turn (or give 2 XP per turn to cast on every turn). Any promotions would add to the number of xp necisary to cast spells. So with no promotions, you could cast every other turn (2XP), with one promotion, every 5 turns (5XP) etc. So a spell would use up XP, but not level the mage up. Is there any way to make this work? Would the AI be able to be trained to make this work? Is it possible to have the code cast a spell and use 3 XP (Any set amount) or do you need to use a full promotion? For instance after 1 promotion, the spell still costs 2 xp to use, even though the next promotion level is 5XP (Cast a spell with one promotion, and only 4 XP).

Just spitballing so feel free to pick it apart...

Zap

Zap said:
Obligatory RAH RAH RAH!!! Best Mod to date for CIV4!!!

On to business...

Is this an alternate to the mages never leveling? Use the Hero script to constantly give the mage XP, and use the leveling to cast spells. Thus if you wait a long time (before a war starts) you can save up several fireballs/spells to fire off at once, but then you would only be able to cast a spell every other turn (or give 2 XP per turn to cast on every turn). Any promotions would add to the number of xp necisary to cast spells. So with no promotions, you could cast every other turn (2XP), with one promotion, every 5 turns (5XP) etc. So a spell would use up XP, but not level the mage up. Is there any way to make this work? Would the AI be able to be trained to make this work? Is it possible to have the code cast a spell and use 3 XP (Any set amount) or do you need to use a full promotion? For instance after 1 promotion, the spell still costs 2 xp to use, even though the next promotion level is 5XP (Cast a spell with one promotion, and only 4 XP).

Just spitballing so feel free to pick it apart...

Zap

Oddly I cant get units to be promotable more than once per turn. It is probably something I am doing wrong and it could probably be fixed.

The real solution is to make the spells into commands (like pillage, delete, gift, etc) so that they can be used whenever. Im am just trying to figure a way to get that workings (and the even bigger challenge of getting the computer to use it correctly).

Kael said:
1. Oddly I cant get units to be promotable more than once per turn. It is probably something I am doing wrong and it could probably be fixed.

2. The real solution is to make the spells into commands (like pillage, delete, gift, etc) so that they can be used whenever. Im am just trying to figure a way to get that workings (and the even bigger challenge of getting the computer to use it correctly).

1. I certainly have no problem with this. However, what you are probably doing wrong is that they can't level at all on the turn they gain the XP. They level as many times as possible on the next turn. Hero's however gain XP the before the turn starts, so they can level that turn.

2. Do you think that you'll be able to do that before the SDK comes out? If not I really think you should add in at least limited spellcasting with leveling units.

Zap said:

Sounds like it would be tricky to work out, but possibly could work.

I have an idea to make the adventurers come back. What if each civ started with one adventurer, and that was the only one they ever got. However, if they wanted, they could exchange it at any point for a non-upgraded adventurer in case they have changed their mind on what type they want.

Hi Kael,

First, want to add my praise for a fantastic mod - great work :goodjob: I've been following for a while but only just decided to register. Love all the ideas being discussed for the next versions, can't wait to play...

I just wanted to ask about a few quirks with the mod that i've noticed and was wondering if they were intentional?

1. Prophets upgrade to archmages: With some patience and carefully planned battles (....and maybe a few reloads...:mischief:) I've exploited this feature in my current game to level up my prophet then upgrade him to archmage with some very nice attack, defence and movement promotions not normally available to him. You can also use Bambur's weaponsmith function to add the quality weapons just for added effect (have used this on the mithril golem which is quite cool too)
2. I've finished the tech tree but I can't seem to access some spells like summon air elemental and earth elemental - are these linked to state religions? I'm sure I'm just missing something as i don't remember seeing any posts with the same problem
3. You can (legitimately) get more than 3 of each national unit. In my current game, i declared war on my neighbours and then systemically wiped them out, razing cities as I went and leaving behind "wilderness" which quickly filled with barbarians (i'm playing on raging barbarians). As i am pretty much at end game, I regularly get barbian bersekers, druids, monks and eidolon swarming through, which I can "acquire" If i battle them with, say my inquisitor with the "command" promotion.

Anyway, love your work, keep it up!

Kael said:
Kinda a bug. I wish I had some other way to do it, but for now they have to destory the imrpovement. The reason is I hijack the improvement code to perform the action. Basically the game has the ability to kick off an event when an improvement is built. So I create bogus improvements and have the units build them (which destorys the improvement that was already there), then I trap the action, do whatever I want in python and then clear the tile (so you won't see a "Weaponsmith" or "Bless" improvement still sitting on the tile).

Spells and Summons used to work this same way but I moved them to the promotion code (which broke leveling on those units) instead.

The short of it is if I want to perform these special actions I need to steal a function from somewhere else to do it (hopefully this will change when the SDK is released). For priests and bambur, thats the improvement changes. For mages its leveling.

You can actually just add new action buttons to a unit. The AI will not use them however.

Something weird is going on when I try to use this mod on a random map.... Most of the time the map has ZERO reagents. So far I've played five games, and I've only had reagents on 2 of them (and I've explored the whole map on all of my games, so it isn't as if I'm not looking hard enough). Since I can't make a mage without reagents, this eliminates one of my favorite aspects of this mod :(. I don't know why this is happening... I've had this happen on a temperate/pangea and a temperate/continents, both on small size. Maybe there should be a world/national wonder that gives reagents in case you can't find any?

ImperatorFenris said:
Something weird is going on when I try to use this mod on a random map.... Most of the time the map has ZERO reagents. So far I've played five games, and I've only had reagents on 2 of them (and I've explored the whole map on all of my games, so it isn't as if I'm not looking hard enough). Since I can't make a mage without reagents, this eliminates one of my favorite aspects of this mod :(. I don't know why this is happening... I've had this happen on a temperate/pangea and a temperate/continents, both on small size. Maybe there should be a world/national wonder that gives reagents in case you can't find any?

I've had them be exceptionaly rare but never completely gone.

I kind of like it this way, makes high-powered magic something to strive for by aggressive expansion, war, trade, or luck. :p

Oh, here's another thought on the Catacomb Libralus - if you really want to tone it down a bit, you could just push it up by a couple of techs. If the player acquires it later on, he'll already have had the time to build libraries in many of his cities, thereby reducing its usefulness.

(That said, I don't really think that it does need to be toned down)

Tower of Complacency should give +20 happy or something and not infinity.

Add some Attack bird that the hawk can be upgraded to.

Healing Spring resource (when standing on it add promotion with +50% heal and be able to move and heal).

Bug: Hasted ships sometimes have the effect for about 5 turns.

Top Bottom