Civ5 manual errata

On page 28, the info on Coast Tiles says that only naval units or embarked units can enter this tile, but on page 119 it says that Helicopters can also enter there.

Edit: I was pointing out that p. 28 was wrong.

Also, a small one, but on the top of page 66 in the "warning" note, it says barbarian naval units will destroy embarked units but it should point out that embarked non-military units will get captured (based on p.28's text).

Page 50: For Build Citadel it says it will consume the "Great Person". Should be "Great General" since only he can make a citadel. Same for "Great Artist" doing "Culture Bomb", etc.

English manual, p. 127 range of "British" (should be "English") longbowman is given as 2, though text says that it should be +1 range which would be 3 (which is what we know from other source).

There is a general inconsistency about naval units. Submarine Ranged Strength of 60 while Nuclear Submarine ranged strength of 70 is not consistent to other naval units ranged strength.It seems like those 2 units weren't updated to last changes

How certain are you that these are errors? They seem ok to me.

PoM, suggest you add quotes " around the replacement texts for clarity.

I took your advice. Is it clearer now?

Sadly, after comparing it with the other versions of the manual, it looks more like the latter. But there's still a chance...

That would be a shame, it's about time they gave the Ironclad some love. Especially with the new coal resource requirement, would have been a great chance to make it a powerful unit. As it stands there seems to be no point in it as the Frigate is just about as strong, a lot cheaper, earlier and doesn't require coal.

p. 148 English manual: Symbol for Formation II has three arrows instead of two. If this is not a mistake in the manual, then it is bad game design, because it breaks the rule that the number of things on the symbol is the same as the level.

Also, a small one, but on the top of page 66 in the "warning" note, it says barbarian naval units will destroy embarked units but it should point out that embarked non-military units will get captured (based on p.28's text).

Hmmm, I'm not completely sure what's the deal here.

p. 148 English manual: Symbol for Formation II has three arrows instead of two. If this is not a mistake in the manual, then it is bad game design, because it breaks the rule that the number of things on the symbol is the same as the level.
Purely as a guess, I'd say they originally had three promotions but each were weaker (e.g. 20% each). For some reason they decided to make it two, then decided to keep the third promo icon because it was more distinguishable from the first. :dunno:

How certain are you that these are errors? They seem ok to me.

I'm not certain or it certainly needs some game confirmation, but recently there were lot of signs that naval strength for all units were changed (decreased).

I don't find ranged strength of Submarine or Nuclear Submarine correct because it is the highest among naval units and Destroyer which is the unit supposed to counter it has a lot lower ranged strength.

Yeah, but notice the destroyer and other ships have higher combat strengths (for melee battles).

I think the point is that the sub and nuke sub are quite expensive and good as sneaky ranged units but quite weak if caught in close combat.

But then, I thought I read that ships don't even fight melee combat. How exactly does combat strength affect battle?

Yeah, but notice the destroyer and other ships have higher combat strengths (for melee battles).

I think the point is that the sub and nuke sub are quite expensive and good as sneaky ranged units but quite weak if caught in close combat.

But then, I thought I read that ships don't even fight melee combat. How exactly does combat strength affect battle?

Probably melee combat could be considered some sort of direct engagement between ships, which should be what Submarines do considered that Ranged combat is some sort of ship bombardment on long range.

Honestly Submarine and Nuclear Submarine stats seems really weird, they would lose to frigate or ironclad in a direct engagement :lol: and be the most powerful unit in long range ship combat :confused:.

That is just my guess but i'm sure those 2 units will get different stats when the game is on our hands.

Edit: For same reasons stated above i think that Frigate and Ironclad haven't updated stats.

Ironclad having same "melee" strength of a Destroyer is certainly not accurate. Also Frigate "melee" stregth seems too high if compared to a Desstroyer.

It may just be me, but whenever i try to enlarge the pictures by putting my cursor over, it takes me like 3 minutes just to get it to stop flashing in and out of enlarged view.

Page 160 on national wonders: For Heroic Epic it says: Building Required: Barracks or Russian Krepost.
Ironworks says: Building Required: Workshop, Iroquois Longhouse
National College says: Building Required: Library, Chinese Paper Maker

It suggests that for Ironworks and National college you need both. Should also read "or".

Page 162 (and further) on Building List: For the Unique buildings, for e.g. Burrial Tomb its effect says "An Egyptian Unique Building." It does not say which building it replaces (temple in this case). This is valid for all UB's in the Building List.

Page 213/214: The page size (width) suddenly changes in the PDF.

Page 214: Burial Tomb isn't identified as Egyptian UB (omission), where all other buildings are identified as UB of a particular Civ.

Page 215: University should read: requires Library or Paper Maker. (not comma, see e.g. Military Academy correctly identifying Barracks or Krepost).

Page 218 on National Wonders: For Heroic Epic it says "Barracks or Russian Krepost". For other UB's in that table the nationality isn't specified.

I don't think 213/214 is an error. They had to change the size of the page to fit all the Unit information.

Inconsistency on what happens when barbarian sea units attack civilian units.

Page 59: Work Boats and any “Embarked” Land Units are non-military units, and they are automatically captured and held for ransom when attacked by barbarians and destroyed when attacked by other civs or city-states.

page 66: Warning: If a barbarian ship comes across an embarked unit, it will destroy it!

So which is it? Capture and held for ransom or destroy?

I don't think 213/214 is an error. They had to change the size of the page to fit all the Unit information.

Yep, they did a similar thing with the civrev manual IIRC.

Also, the page size is exactly the same, it's only oriented sideways, so it would probably still work if you wanted to print it.

It may just be me, but whenever i try to enlarge the pictures by putting my cursor over, it takes me like 3 minutes just to get it to stop flashing in and out of enlarged view.

It happens to me as well. If you're using Adobe Reader, I suggest switching from the Hand Tool to the Select Tool. That seems to make it a bit better.

Oh, and in english version, on page 96, it has a reference and link to page 96 XD

Hehe, that's awesome. :lol:

PieceofMind,

Just have to ask if 2k Greg is aware of this thread yet? Or has someone sent him a PM regarding the thread.

I was thinking of printing it but gonna wait till a updated manual is out.

Top Bottom