Civ5 manual errata

p47. Under description of Ranged Units, archer combat strength of 7. Should be 4.

"An Archer unit, for example, has a Combat Strength of 7, a Ranged Combat Strength of 8, and a Range of 2. It can attack enemy units one or two hexes away with a Strength of 7. However, if an enemy unit attacks it, it defends with its Combat Strength of 4. Note that Ranged units always employ Ranged combat when attacking another unit, even if that unit is adjacent. The Ranged unit uses its Combat Strength only when it is defending against an attack by another unit."

It seems like there is a second typo in that paragraph where when it attacks it should be with strength 8. So the correct text would be:

"An Archer unit, for example, has a Combat Strength of 4, a Ranged Combat Strength of 8, and a Range of 2. It can attack enemy units one or two hexes away with a Strength of 8. However, if an enemy unit attacks it, it defends with its Combat Strength of 4."

On page 47, it says:

These include “Melee Units,” “Ranged Units,” “Naval Units,” “Air Units,” and “Missile Units.”

On page 48, instead of describing "Missile Units", the section is "Nuclear Units":

Nuclear Units
Nuclear units are the most powerful units in the game. They blow a lot of stuff up, destroying units, cities, improvements and pretty much everything else. Land that has been subject to nuclear attack is badly polluted, requiring major reclamation efforts before it can be made safe and useful once again.

I checked the Italian version: "La città non deve trovarsi su una collina." (the city must not be found on a hill). So it's quite possible the Spanish version is incorrect here.

BTW, I'm not a native Italian speaker, but I believe "trovarsi" is incorrect. Should be "fondare" (trovarsi is to find, not to found. Then again, that's almost an English mistake before the translation :D ).

I just checked the French version, it also says "must not" (ne doit pas). I could check the German version too if I knew the verb for "must". It's looking like it is in cities not built on hills (which is fine, hills have plenty of bonuses already).

I just checked the French version, it also says "must not" (ne doit pas). I could check the German version too if I knew the verb for "must". It's looking like it is in cities not built on hills (which is fine, hills have plenty of bonuses already).

...aber die Stadt darf sich nicht auf einem Hügel befinden.
...but the city must not be on a hill.

I distinctly remember hearing during either the Ustream.com event, or the Gamespot.com event last night, that embarkation requires Optics. The manual doesn't list any prerequisites for it.

...aber die Stadt darf sich nicht auf einem Hügel befinden.
...but the city must not be on a hill.

OK, we can confirm that the Spanish manual is the one with an error (p. 177) here.

I saw that happen on lots of pictures actually. It goes even crazier if using the "Hand Tool" - every picture goes crazy (small movements of the mouse cause the pictures to disappear and appear again rapidly). Using Adobe Reader 9.3.4

I am using Foxit pdf reader and it does the same thing.

Um, is it my imagination, or does the city view screenshot on page 67 show a city working hexes at a radius of 3, not 2?

Page 71 says:
Working the Land
Cities thrive based upon the land around them. Their citizens “work” the land, harvesting food, wealth, production and science from the tiles. Citizens can work tiles that are within two tiles’ distance from the city and that are within your civilization’s borders. Only one city can work a single tile even if it’s within two tiles’ distance from more than one.

I found some of the placeholder text in some of the screenshots amusing, check out the "bonus" text for Washington on page 18. (Unless, of course, we really do get a "bounty for killing wolves".)

That's not a gameplay description, that's a dictionary definition from what I can tell.

EDIT: It could be filler text before they added text, or it could have just been a joke.

Forbidden palace -- different effect
p. 155 unhappiness from # cities reduced
p. 217 Influence with city-states increased

Issues noticed in the English version:

p.25 The victory progress screen doesn't show any civs. The image from p.115 should be used.
p.51 In the section "Legal and Illegal Moves", there are two periods after the first sentence.
p.57 In the section "Ranged Combat Stregth", there is a unnecessary line break in the middle of second sentence, wrapping it sooner than it needs to.
p.64 The image of the ruins seems stuck in its large version instead of displaying the smaller version with hover.
p.71 "Citizens can work tiles that are within two tiles’ distance from the city and that are within your civilization’s borders." Should be 3 tiles.
p.77 "The city can work any tile within two spaces of the city that is also within the civilization’s borders, provided as well that it is not being worked by another city." Should be 3 tiles.
p.87 "Roads can be constructed in friendly, neutral or enemy territory." Didn't think it was possible to build roads in enemy territory. Is it?
p.89 The formating of the Camp, Lumbermill, etc. seems wrong. Should have a header that groups them or be using the larger header like the sections around it.
p.113 The thumbail image for the trade screen is on top of the paragraph, so the text can't be read.

It happens to me as well. If you're using Adobe Reader, I suggest switching from the Hand Tool to the Select Tool. That seems to make it a bit better.

Strange. Looks fine on my Mac, which has PDF support built-in on the OS level. Sounds like an Adobe Reader problem (which wouldn't be a surprise).

It's the content that's the real problem, though. Did they outsource the manual?

So, the unit list has "Combat Type" as:

Archery, Melee, Mounted, Naval, Gunpowder, Armored, Recon, Civilian, Siege, Air

But some "mounted" units have "Range" and "Ranged Combat Strength" entries, others do not.

Promotions are listed for Recon, Melee, Ranged & Naval units, but not for other types.

Apparently, guys with rifles can't shoot as far as guys with bows & arrows? Is that correct? Or are there special gunpowder rules I haven't found yet?

If the actual type of combat used (melee or ranged) matters and determines promotions, shouldn't that be listed in the unit chart, rather than "Mounted" etc.? I mean, I understand that spearmen get a bonus against mounted units, but actual combat type seems important too.

If the gunnery units were considered ranged then they wouldn't be able to capture towns, this would cause a pretty major problem.

p. 143 doesn't mention that Ballistas need to set-up before attacking, but p. 209 does state this.

p. 98 Spanish version

"El Racionalismo no puede estar activo a la vez que la Autocracia."

Which translates as Rationalism can not be active as the same time as Autocracy. It should be "Devoción" ("Piety") instead of Autocracy.

p47. Under description of Ranged Units, archer combat strength of 7. Should be 4. <- This error is in the Spanish version too.

P. 94 in the English manual:
"...and each individual policy provides another like bonus once unlocked."

Not sure if it's a typo, but I don't understand what it means.

On p. 113, the picture covers part of the text (even before you enlarge it).

P. 94 in the English manual:
"...and each individual policy provides another like bonus once unlocked."

Not sure if it's a typo, but I don't understand what it means.

On p. 113, the picture covers part of the text (even before you enlarge it).

Looks like they didn't set the picture layout correctly on that page for that image. That piticular page with the french manual and the french manual had it correctly.

Top Bottom