I'm a man without a Civilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

CivNoob2008

Chieftain
I apologize in advance for the randomness of this post.

1. I was playing a HUGE map, Deity level, against 12 Civs. When my turn ended, I sat waiting for the other civs a minimum of 25 seconds, and sometimes 45 seconds. I have a 64-bit system with two processors and eight gig of RAM. Holy hell. In any given hour of game play I'm going to be sitting here for 30 to 40 minutes ... waiting? Is anyone else having this problem?

2. Unfortunately, that's not my biggest complaint about Deity. By turn 9 (yes, turn 9) Stonehenge had been built in a far away land. By turn 15 someone had the pyramids up. By turn 52 more than a dozen Wonders had been built, some in the Renaissance era. Civ used to be a strategy game. One of its best features was that there were multiple paths to victory. Civ V seems, at the higher levels, to be strictly a wargame. And because the AI can be defeated so easily, it's not much of a wargame. So I quit that game. I don't know if there was any way to actually win a science or cultural victory, I figured my only "strategy" was war. And I had wanted to see if I could do it without waging war. In Civ IV you could try and sit on the sidelines, avoiding skirmishes by offering techs or sending money gifts, hoping to eventually win a space race, or a cultural victory. But ... and I accept that I didn't even give it the ol' college try ... I lost my desire to play this particular game. I didn't think I would ever be able to catch up. I realize that at the hardest levels it's going to be hard ... but I should still feel like MAYBE I can do it my way. And I didn't. Has anyone won a Deity level game other than via war?

As an aside, I was able to destroy an enemy Pikeman with my Archer in one turn, but it took 3 turns to kill an enemy worker that was clogging a chokepoint because of the 1UPT. So now I keep workers out in "look out" positions for enemy armies. Especially near chokepoints. You can hold up an entire army with a handful of workers.

3. I DO understand that in an effort to make the map "beautiful" they wanted to get rid of all those roads that were required in previous Civs. But I DO NOT understand why I don't get the road bonus on a developed tile. In hilly terrain, it can take a worker 6 turns or more to move from one side of the city-spread to another. Not one of those farmers thought to build a road? Even if I don't see it, can't we all just agree it's there? This is actually one of my top issues with Civ V.

4. This is totally from a wish-list of mine. I've played Civ since the beginning. I always thought the only way to really make the war aspect of Civ fit into the broad landscape of the game, is to move the battle to a separate map. Two opposing units (or stacked armies even) meet ON THE SAME TILE and then that "battle" is fought on a separate map, with all the units spread out and one tile equals 100 yards or something like that. So I'm disappointed about that. I could look past it if the AI wasn't so bad.

5. I think Civ V was developed to be a multi-player game. Only. It doesn't play very well as a single player game. But if all the civs are human, then we're all in the same boat regarding all of the mechanics of the game. I don't really think they give a damn about any complaints made by single-player players.

6. I miss the feeling that I'm building a civilization. Often I'll look down at my mini-map and think my "civilization" looks just like a bunch of city-states. I don't really ever feel like I'm building a cohesive civilization. I just feel like I'm clicking this to achieve that so I can get to the next thing I have to click. Don't flame me about this. If you're having a great time, I'm happy for you.

Also, in previous Civs, I remember the sense of accomplishment I felt when I finally discovered Railroad. Now I could link my civilization by iron road! Often at this point in Civ 4 I would change my sliders more toward cultural, bring down science a bit. In Civ V, Railroad is just another stop along the way. You don't even need coal. Achieving Railroad is a HUGE step in history. Thomas Jefferson thought it might take seven generations to populate the western U.S. Then twenty years later the railroad is invented and it took barely two generations. This is a huge moment. But not in Civ V. It doesn't seem to have much meaning at all. And I miss it. At no point in Civ V do I have any sense of accomplishment or achievement. Even when I win.

7. The game just ends. I won a space race and BOOM. The game ended. Because I have to send my spaceship parts to my capitol, I right-clicked and sent what turned out to be the last piece off to my capitol four moves away. Then I continued playing. Then four turns later, I'm about to move another piece and BOOM. The game ends. I win. And then no victory dance, no replays, no stats. Just on to the next game, or not.

8. I'm fifty-one years old. I play strategy games instead of console games because I want to think and plan. I want choices because I have the luxury of time in a strategy game. I don't have to make a decision faster than I can blink. Civ IV had choices. Dozens and dozens of choices. Civ V seems to be much the same types of choices over and over. Three hundred turns in and it all gets to be a bit of a drag. I can't even build a farm where a horse is standing. I have to fence him in. That's not a choice. The game should just automatically fence him in as soon as my city-spread gets there.

9. I have NO idea why this game requires DirectX 11. It would be much, much faster as a tile-based game. You could even have 4 levels of tiles ... Far Away, Distant, Close, and Really Close (for those who like to count nose hairs). This isn't like a shoot-em-up where anything can pop up around the next corner. It's a hill. Just blit the hill onto the screen along with any improvements and let's get on with it.

10. I went back and played a game of Civ 4 BTS ... and didn't like it anymore. I missed being able to buy tiles. Now what am I going to do? I'm a man without a Civilization.

Sadly I fear we won't be listened to. Sid is all hell-bent on Facebook Civ and I can just imagine resources being gutted from Civ V to work on that. Plus all the stupid high review scores will probably make them listen less to those of us chagrined, and more to those who only plan on playing for 20 hours, or playing stupid quick games.

Winning or Losing a game (Point 7) is really a slap in the face to Civ gamers. I've given up on the game for now... something I've never done with any Civ before.

the exact feeling of all veterans...you are not alone. The "mass market" will flame you, most likely, but worry not. It's a brainless flame, with only one voice: "fear of change".

Don't give up on BTS. Have you tried Rise Of Mankind mod? And perhaps its brilliant submod, A New Dawn? That will last you until civ6, hoping that the next iteration comes back to the real fanbase...

Same here. I want Civ to be hard to learn. I want it to take months to grasp the last aspects of the game. I am now downloading the Rise of Man mod for Civ IV and I am sad.

Don't worry its not impossible to return to civ 4, i've done it quite easily. I currently have one of the baddest and meanest capitol in this game i'm playing, size 18 capitol pumping out troops every one turn, knight pikemen etc everything u name it xD Medieval troops that is.

He is, like many others, 100% right. He also will be, like many others, forgotten, flamed, or critized (spelling?) because he's a 'whiner' and 'afraid of change'. Where has the time gone when game developers actually listened to their fanbase?

i suggest reading the BradyGames strategy guide for civ V. it goes into tons of detail about each civ and leader, using city states and policy strategy. civ V is a FAR more complex game than you're giving it credit for...it needs to be played very differently than civ IV.

1. I was playing a HUGE map, Deity level, against 12 Civs. When my turn ended, I sat waiting for the other civs a minimum of 25 seconds, and sometimes 45 seconds. I have a 64-bit system with two processors and eight gig of RAM. Holy hell. In any given hour of game play I'm going to be sitting here for 30 to 40 minutes ... waiting? Is anyone else having this problem?

2. Unfortunately, that's not my biggest complaint about Deity. By turn 9 (yes, turn 9) Stonehenge had been built in a far away land. By turn 15 someone had the pyramids up. By turn 52 more than a dozen Wonders had been built, some in the Renaissance era. Civ used to be a strategy game. One of its best features was that there were multiple paths to victory. Civ V seems, at the higher levels, to be strictly a wargame. And because the AI can be defeated so easily, it's not much of a wargame. So I quit that game. I don't know if there was any way to actually win a science or cultural victory, I figured my only "strategy" was war. And I had wanted to see if I could do it without waging war. In Civ IV you could try and sit on the sidelines, avoiding skirmishes by offering techs or sending money gifts, hoping to eventually win a space race, or a cultural victory. But ... and I accept that I didn't even give it the ol' college try ... I lost my desire to play this particular game. I didn't think I would ever be able to catch up. I realize that at the hardest levels it's going to be hard ... but I should still feel like MAYBE I can do it my way. And I didn't. Has anyone won a Deity level game other than via war?

As an aside, I was able to destroy an enemy Pikeman with my Archer in one turn, but it took 3 turns to kill an enemy worker that was clogging a chokepoint because of the 1UPT. So now I keep workers out in "look out" positions for enemy armies. Especially near chokepoints. You can hold up an entire army with a handful of workers.

3. I DO understand that in an effort to make the map "beautiful" they wanted to get rid of all those roads that were required in previous Civs. But I DO NOT understand why I don't get the road bonus on a developed tile. In hilly terrain, it can take a worker 6 turns or more to move from one side of the city-spread to another. Not one of those farmers thought to build a road? Even if I don't see it, can't we all just agree it's there? This is actually one of my top issues with Civ V.

4. This is totally from a wish-list of mine. I've played Civ since the beginning. I always thought the only way to really make the war aspect of Civ fit into the broad landscape of the game, is to move the battle to a separate map. Two opposing units (or stacked armies even) meet ON THE SAME TILE and then that "battle" is fought on a separate map, with all the units spread out and one tile equals 100 yards or something like that. So I'm disappointed about that. I could look past it if the AI wasn't so bad.

5. I think Civ V was developed to be a multi-player game. Only. It doesn't play very well as a single player game. But if all the civs are human, then we're all in the same boat regarding all of the mechanics of the game. I don't really think they give a damn about any complaints made by single-player players.

6. I miss the feeling that I'm building a civilization. Often I'll look down at my mini-map and think my "civilization" looks just like a bunch of city-states. I don't really ever feel like I'm building a cohesive civilization. I just feel like I'm clicking this to achieve that so I can get to the next thing I have to click. Don't flame me about this. If you're having a great time, I'm happy for you.

Also, in previous Civs, I remember the sense of accomplishment I felt when I finally discovered Railroad. Now I could link my civilization by iron road! Often at this point in Civ 4 I would change my sliders more toward cultural, bring down science a bit. In Civ V, Railroad is just another stop along the way. You don't even need coal. Achieving Railroad is a HUGE step in history. Thomas Jefferson thought it might take seven generations to populate the western U.S. Then twenty years later the railroad is invented and it took barely two generations. This is a huge moment. But not in Civ V. It doesn't seem to have much meaning at all. And I miss it. At no point in Civ V do I have any sense of accomplishment or achievement. Even when I win.

7. The game just ends. I won a space race and BOOM. The game ended. Because I have to send my spaceship parts to my capitol, I right-clicked and sent what turned out to be the last piece off to my capitol four moves away. Then I continued playing. Then four turns later, I'm about to move another piece and BOOM. The game ends. I win. And then no victory dance, no replays, no stats. Just on to the next game, or not.

8. I'm fifty-one years old. I play strategy games instead of console games because I want to think and plan. I want choices because I have the luxury of time in a strategy game. I don't have to make a decision faster than I can blink. Civ IV had choices. Dozens and dozens of choices. Civ V seems to be much the same types of choices over and over. Three hundred turns in and it all gets to be a bit of a drag. I can't even build a farm where a horse is standing. I have to fence him in. That's not a choice. The game should just automatically fence him in as soon as my city-spread gets there.

9. I have NO idea why this game requires DirectX 11. It would be much, much faster as a tile-based game. You could even have 4 levels of tiles ... Far Away, Distant, Close, and Really Close (for those who like to count nose hairs). This isn't like a shoot-em-up where anything can pop up around the next corner. It's a hill. Just blit the hill onto the screen along with any improvements and let's get on with it.

10. I went back and played a game of Civ 4 BTS ... and didn't like it anymore. I missed being able to buy tiles. Now what am I going to do? I'm a man without a Civilization.

He is, like many others, 100% right. He also will be, like many others, forgotten, flamed, or critized (spelling?) because he's a 'whiner' and 'afraid of change'. Where has the time gone when game developers actually listened to their fanbase?

the majority of the fanbase is loving this game, so they are listening to us.

What about trying Immortal and only go for a few city culture or any other none military victory?

the "new" fanbase, you mean...

yes i'm the new fan base that just started playing in 1991. No one loves the Civ series more than me...and V is more than worthy of it's name.

I commiserate with your concerns, right now the game is so unpolished that playing it can be like passing a kidney stone.

But, I did have one opposite experience. When I launched that rocket with a dozen turns left to go and beach that punk b^%ch AI on Deity, you damn right I felt a sense of accomplishment... played four games of Civ5, two disgustingly easy wins on Prince, an almost win on Deity, and a Spaceship win on Deity. This game is too...easy...

the majority of the fanbase is loving this game, so they are listening to us.

From polls on these forums I's say that that is not true. Less than 20% of people are completely satisfied. In my opinion, love = completely satisfied. A fair number are somewhat satisfied but almost half seem to think it's mediocre or worse.

Furthermore, nearly half the people think the game has been "dumbed down."

I think most honest people know that ciV has serious issues. The more time that passes, the more people notice this.

As for myself, I think ciV is merely a good game and not a great one. I certainly have no love for it. Mods may end up saving the game to an extent but it is looking more and more like Civ III. (The worst Civ to date in my opinion.)

I'd also say that a vast majority of people that have played Civ since it's inception (myself included) do not love ciV. It's really a huge disappointment to long term, faithful fans.

Furthermore, I think anyone that truly loved Civ would not be satisfied with ciV. Yes men and bootlickers aren't going to help any. Firaxis needs to know that their latest offering is unacceptable.

Sounds like a Total War game. You should actually give them a try... the campaign strategy is inferior to a Civ game but the battles are well done.

actually, if you watch the making of civ IV DVD that comes with the game of the year edition, you'd learn that civ IV was developed first as a multi-player game, and then AI was added.

I just thought it's a too well written post to be ignored completely. So far (~20 hours into the game) I like it and it's fresh approach as a CIV veteran.

I think this is going to be fixed with later patch(es), no doubt.
I like to play smaller maps but it doesn't lag on my 2.0 Ghz Athlon 64 (single core), 1.5Gb Ram.

Don't see how's this that different from previous Civ's?
You do have options in CiV too but it's leaning more towards warmongering now.
I don't fully agree nor disagree, you have a fair point.

Sorry but what do I miss here? I think you are getting bonus towards moving from roads.

Cool idea!

I'm sure they are listening, don't overdramatize it.

I still have that feeling and I'm sorry that you don't :/

I still get that sense of accomplishment too.

I agree.

I haven't noticed this yet.

The game doesn't reguire DX11 to play. It just looks more beautiful with the latest technology. Not much but the difference is there.
It might have been a marketing thing but no one forces you to buy a new DX11 card, the game is still beautiful with Dx9.

here ya go. I'd say this says it all. and since far more people come out to complain, i'd say the numbers for people who love V should be much higher even than that.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=382765

From polls on these forums I's say that that is not true. Less than 20% of people are completely satisfied. In my opinion, love = completely satisfied. A fair number are somewhat satisfied but almost half seem to think it's mediocre or worse.

Furthermore, nearly half the people think the game has been "dumbed down."

I think most honest people know that ciV has serious issues. The more time that passes, the more people notice this.

As for myself, I think ciV is merely a good game and not a great one. I certainly have no love for it. Mods may end up saving the game to an extent but it is looking more and more like Civ III. (The worst Civ to date in my opinion.)

I'd also say that a vast majority of people that have played Civ since it's inception (myself included) do not love ciV. It's really a huge disappointment to long term, faithful fans.

here ya go. I'd say this says it all. and since far more people come out to complain, i'd say the numbers for people who love V should be much higher even than that.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=382765

Likely most of the people who voted in that poll did it right after the game was released. After the newness wore off, people are now seeing what ciV really is.

Check the other polls and you'll see that your assertion is false. Put your pom poms down and take off your rose coloured glasses please. ;)

nope, it was right in the middle of "I hate Civ V" central. Another thing, the initial response people had to the game was awful, it's not until after they play a while that people get used to it and start enjoying it. So that logic doesn't work. As far as other polls, they are a joke. It's usually five options for why civ V stinks and then one positive option...scewed much? I call them troll polls.

The fact is, Civ V is just a good game that some people don't like. But they are the minority, albeit a loud minority.

Likely most of the people who voted in that poll did it right after the game was released. After the newness wore off, people are now seeing what ciV really is.

Check the other polls and you'll see that your assertion is false. Put your pom poms down and take off your rose coloured glasses please. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom