Need to restart is a game killer for me

Naokaukodem

Millenary King
OK, I'm not top player and will never be.

Actually playing Prince gives me some difficulties.

Particularly with

- happiness

- control of AIs, which seem to over expand from time to time just when they have enough space

- money, that becomes short especially with few rivers and even with lots of TPs. (every grass except capital and low food cities; for example rocky) Markets and banks are usually must-haves.

That been said, here is my problem :

I'm not 100% sure to begin in a place that fits me. For example, in Civ5, it would always be near a certain number of rivers, because without them, economy is frankly bad, and economy is important in Civ5, it is especially a type of victory ! What is not always the case, to say the least. I've just restarted the game 3 times without satisfaction. I gave up.

Possible solutions :

Make so that rivers are not so important, what would end up to deny History or even a gameplay tendency that makes that looking for rivers could be fun. (that can seem contradictory, but I'm sorry, it's useless to look for rivers when there's not any anywhere ! it's the same problem than iron in Civ5, it's confusing to find no place with iron, near or farer.)

Rise the number of rivers. Indeed, in Civ5, one can have large panoramas of land without river, what seems prety unrealistic. In real life, there's always a river somewhere, near. (except deserts of course) Anyway, there is a true problem of map generation I think in Civ5. Worlds are never large enough to allow that 6 civilizations start to ideal places. Granted, it rises up the "replayability", but it bridles greatly the number of landscapes in one given game. So, it seems imperative to me to create a more "ventilated" map generator, with for example a focus on river creation, even if one have to create all a system of elevations and springs. Indeed, every civilization in our world have been born near rivers, what would allow the player in the game to create several cities along them.

Give other means to the player to improve his economy than rivers, like cottages of Civ4. Or inter-cities commerce. The Civ2 caravans system seems wise here: it's not automatic, ask some effort and attention from the player, and grand a constant lump of gold. Even if it's a "no brainer" for some people.

Scrap economic victory, change the way the player influences city states, or scrap those. It shouldn't be difficult to keep a good economy without rivers, if those aren't particularly worked. About that subject, I think that military units maintenance variation according to, seemingly, the era, not enough clear, confusing, dark, what harms greatly the point of economy in the game. To say all, it is rigorously absurd. Same for city maintenance, ununderstandable. And it's probably not the only data, because the income of the player varies greatly from a turn to another, without obvious reason.

Solution: Keep practising.

I used to think Prince was hard, but it isn`t, really. I don`t even worry about placing settlements perfectly, and I don`t anally follow numbers spreadsheety wise like some do, as long as the ground is green and you just choose wise advances you`ll be kicking butt with the best of them!

Its very obvious from your post that you dont sell any of your excess luxuries. Early on - even to mid game - selling luxuries and resources is and should be the main source of income.

There is a mod on Steam called Reseed that allows you to "reroll" your map until you're happy with your starting location. That may help you. I use it myself and have to say it's much better than going back to the main menu.

What Praih said, you need to sell your excess resources ALWAYS. The only thing that will make you better at this game is learning how, and when, to wage war. Building cities is the easy part and if you can't find a good river city just find a good coastal city, food plains city, or production city. On small-standard maps 80 percent of the new cities you found should provide one luxury resource you don't already have. The other 20 percent of cities could be in spots with luxury resources you already have. If you find money getting short pick a policy or research a tech that improves economy. Same thing with happiness. I find that the game pretty much walks me through and opens the perfect policy or tech just when I need it, as long as I plan it out just a little bit. The only cities that are worthless are some that you take from the AI who picked a horrible location. I'm not an amazing player but I beat emperor 90% of the time. Just keep practicing and step up to king in a week

If you have positive :c5happy: then you should also sell your unique resources. You only lose them for 30 turns, and can generally get 240 :c5gold: on standard speed games. Use the :c5gold: from selling resources to purchase necessary buildings. No need to slow build when you can buy your way to a productive growing city.

I hate the fact that you need to click on all the settings again just to restart the same type of game you wanted. In Civ4 it was so much easier. I don't often restart, but in some cases I want a better start. Like with the Dutch on some marshes or floodplains, or if I intend to go tall I want marble near my capital.

I dislike re-rolling, so I don't do it...

I sometimes lose a game by having a bad roll, but I hold the opinion that you tend to learn more by losing than you do by winning... and more times than not, I win a poor roll anyway.

Winning from a poor roll can be a challenge, and that is what this game is all about, to me.

I dislike re-rolling, so I don't do it...

I sometimes lose a game by having a bad roll, but I hold the opinion that you tend to learn more by losing than you do by winning... and more times than not, I win a poor roll anyway.

Winning from a poor roll can be a challenge, and that is what this game is all about, to me.
I agree- same here. The only time I re-roll is when I have a horrendously bad start, one worthy of the multitude of "worst start ever" threads. My worst remains a start on 5 tiles of tundra attached to the polar ice cap with no land route out and no other civs or Cs nearby. Other than starts that are THAT bad, I don't re-roll.

I hate the fact that you need to click on all the settings again just to restart the same type of game you wanted. In Civ4 it was so much easier. I don't often restart, but in some cases I want a better start. Like with the Dutch on some marshes or floodplains, or if I intend to go tall I want marble near my capital.

Fun story: If you chose all of your advanced settings, then hit back and at that point start the map, it'll hold your advanced settings.

See my earlier post about the "reseed" mod in the steam workshop. Allows you to re-roll a new map with all your previous settings. It's pretty good for those of us who like to reroll for those who don't - OK we get it you are much better players than us. We don't care. We aren't competing with anyone but ourselves the AI and trying to have fun.

Fun story: If you chose all of your advanced settings, then hit back and at that point start the map, it'll hold your advanced settings.

Actually, in my experience this doesn't preserve most of the advanced settings.

Actually, in my experience this doesn't preserve most of the advanced settings.

Ya I just realized it seems to only preserve some of the map settings, none of the advanced game options though...

Technically, every single major city in the world is coasted by some major body of water via river, aqueduct, ocean, sea, a couple of both, or all of the above. Mankind is relied on the existence of water, and without it, we would've shared the same fate as dinosaurs.

Never restart I remember my first civilization game civ 4 I played as spain and founded a lot of religions or got religions and built temples and wonders So I decided to go cutlure I used my city with crabs to spam artist with caste system

however I didn't micro everything and forgot to put the culture slider and didn't proper timed great artists so the AI was building space ship parts in the end I won a culture victory because I put my slider to 100 % culture

So even if you start in tundra just try

The problem with selling resources is that the AIs rarely have the 240 gold. Not to mention the fact that I seem unable to see when a contract ends. And, last game, I had Washington asking me to give him a free resource as soon as it was liberated, I said no and he would never buy it to me even if he had the money !

The problem with selling resources is that the AIs rarely have the 240 gold. Not to mention the fact that I seem unable to see when a contract ends. And, last game, I had Washington asking me to give him a free resource as soon as it was liberated, I said no and he would never buy it to me even if he had the money !

You can often sell luxuries for 7 gold per turn especially if they are friendly with you, even if they are guarded you may be able to get 5 or 6 per turn.

Rerolling is fine if you're looking for a specific game, eg. "I want to try playing on an island this time"

You can often sell luxuries for 7 gold per turn especially if they are friendly with you, even if they are guarded you may be able to get 5 or 6 per turn.

I've found that if the AI is prepared to pay full price, you can get a small amount of additional up-front gold (usually 20 gold) in addition to the 7 gpt.

Not to mention the fact that I seem unable to see when a contract ends.

You can always check in deal expiration in the "Deal History" tab of the Diplomacy Overview. It tells you the turn you made the deal, so plus 30 is expiration. This is vital for monitoring when RAs will end.

Top Bottom