Need to restart is a game killer for me

You can always check in deal expiration in the "Deal History" tab of the Diplomacy Overview. It tells you the turn you made the deal, so plus 30 is expiration. This is vital for monitoring when RAs will end.

The thing is that I like to play smoothly without looking for too much data screens, not to mention that one has probably to look for what is looking for. But I will try, it might become an habit.

There is a mod on Steam called Reseed that allows you to "reroll" your map until you're happy with your starting location. That may help you. I use it myself and have to say it's much better than going back to the main menu.

This option will be included without any need for mods in the next big patch.
It will allow you to recreate the map with your current settings :king:

I vote...

Don't use any reseed mod. Stop remaking games. Learn to play with a less-than-preferable start position. Learn to adapt and work with what you're given. You'll become a better player and find new joy in the game.

Learn to struggle. It makes you powerful.

The most important part of the game is getting a good starting location. I restart many times until I get a favorable starting city near a river or coastline with at least two different luxury resources.

I vote...

Don't use any reseed mod. Stop remaking games. Learn to play with a less-than-preferable start position. Learn to adapt and work with what you're given. You'll become a better player and find new joy in the game.

Learn to struggle. It makes you powerful.

That's nice if you have nothing else going on so you can spend weeks on a game that you don't even enjoy. Some of us prefer to play under certain conditions. The whole purpose of a game is HAVING FUN!
If you don't want to reroll that's fine. But please don't post in this thread. Your message is already out:
"Just stick with it. Even if you're surrounded by tundra and the god of the snow (or whatever gives you faith for tundra) belief is gone. Because you'll learn from this unfun game and somehow impress people."
OK we get it. Now for those of us who don't want to waste our time on a start with nothing but marshland all around we have our own threads.

I just had a map where I was on an island. A small island. By myself. With my city not on the coast.

That was a short game.

Yes...I guess this is an old debate ...whether to play out the hand you're dealt...or re-roll for a game that will be more fun.... I usually opt for re-rolls until I get a reasonable start....

I almost never bother with a game that takes 10 turns from square one to built the monument.... It's just no fun...

But it can be a fine line sometimes....my current game is a bit like that...it didn't start out with very auspicious conditions, but it actually has been fun...a constant struggle, but my capital has turned out to be highly productive....I can build wonders fast....

And constant early warfare...with the Romans... allowed me to get a Crossbowman with logistics, heal-every-turn and extra range...quite formidable ...and the unit is now a Gatling Gun....I'm looking forward to turning him into a Machine Gun... And, believe me, I know exactly where that unit is at all times and I make sure I place him very carefully so that if the going gets heavy I can get him out of serious harm's way real fast...;)

All I could do with the Romans was beat them into a stalemate, then the more powerful Austrians attacked me and diverted my attention to them.... I'm slowly, ever so slowly, turning the tide, but it's a struggle. But it actually is a really "fun" game.

I don't know if I can prevail. The real key, though, I think is having a city that can spit out the wonders I want and that I am able to keep up reasonably well with Science....and the gold flow is reasonable. I think without the hope for techs and a good gold flow I would have been dead-in-the-water long ago....:)

Spoiler :
Yes...I guess this is an old debate ...whether to play out the hand you're dealt...or re-roll for a game that will be more fun.... I usually opt for re-rolls until I get a reasonable start....

I almost never bother with a game that takes 10 turns from square one to built the monument.... It's just no fun...

But it can be a fine line sometimes....my current game is a bit like that...it didn't start out with very auspicious conditions, but it actually has been fun...a constant struggle, but my capital has turned out to be highly productive....I can build wonders fast....

And constant early warfare...with the Romans... allowed me to get a Crossbowman with logistics, heal-every-turn and extra range...quite formidable ...and the unit is now a Gatling Gun....I'm looking forward to turning him into a Machine Gun... And, believe me, I know exactly where that unit is at all times and I make sure I place him very carefully so that if the going gets heavy I can get him out of serious harm's way real fast...;)

All I could do with the Romans was beat them into a stalemate, then the more powerful Austrians attacked me and diverted my attention to them.... I'm slowly, ever so slowly, turning the tide, but it's a struggle. But it actually is a really "fun" game.

I don't know if I can prevail. The real key, though, I think is having a city that can spit out the wonders I want and that I am able to keep up reasonably well with Science....and the gold flow is reasonable. I think without the hope for techs and a good gold flow I would have been dead-in-the-water long ago....:)

I know this feeling! I always used to reroll for the most imba starts, and those games caused me to be the runaway civ with atleast an era by the end of the game. I used to think that was fun, but in G&K I have prefered the tight games that really gives me a challenge.

Now, I actually lose units, and when you lose a unit like you mentioned, you're most likely learning from it (because it SUCKS!), and thus improving in the future.

It also sucks to lose that wonder you wanted so much, but on higher difficulties, you really need to make both priorities and sacrifices.

I still prefer a decent capital though, but it's not always decent from the very beginning of the game. What really proved as a gamechanger for me was when I finally started settling my Great Engineers. In my last game with Denmark, I had 8 Manufactories in my capital. Chugging out wonders, buildings and units fast is really more effective in the long run than rushing the occasional wonder. :king:

The true wonder with Civilization is that you're always learning something new.

That's nice if you have nothing else going on so you can spend weeks on a game that you don't even enjoy. Some of us prefer to play under certain conditions. The whole purpose of a game is HAVING FUN!
If you don't want to reroll that's fine. But please don't post in this thread. Your message is already out:
"Just stick with it. Even if you're surrounded by tundra and the god of the snow (or whatever gives you faith for tundra) belief is gone. Because you'll learn from this unfun game and somehow impress people."
OK we get it. Now for those of us who don't want to waste our time on a start with nothing but marshland all around we have our own threads.

help. I'm being oppressed.

I'm offended by this post. Who the hell are you to tell me where or how I can post in a public forum?

I don't understand your point. You take weeks to do what I do in hours and refuse to challenge your mind. You don't understand my point. I get absolutely no enjoyment "going through motions" to win something I know I won hours ago.

We don't have any perspective of each others' worlds, although I expressed my views rationally and respectfully in an attempt to make you see mine. Stop trying to exercise some imagined dominion, because it's rude. You don't censure me.

edit: Let me list the ways you were offensive, in case you're not understanding.
1. You implied I have nothing better to do. What are you saying here? My life has nothing going?
2. You begged the argument of "fun". "Fun" to me is critical thought and problem-solving, and somehow you've pigeon-holed that into something "wrong".
3. You implied I have some need to "impress people". I'm confident in my capacity to "impress people" and the least person I feel the need to impress right now is you.
4. Your overall tone basically screams my opinion, because it's different, isn't welcome. This makes you a facist, and I deplore facists.

If "I" was to be a jerk from my perspective and issue you the same type of ultimatum, it would look like: "If you're always going to do things the "easy way", just sit there in your shame and don't make it public. I pity those who depend on you and you should shut up." But I didn't say that. I was very poignant and polite. You should consider this a life lesson.

Moderator Action: Such posts don't really belong to a civil discussion.

I was very poignant and polite
From your original post: Stop remaking games
Sounds like an order to me.
Perhaps I misread your post as being more harsh then it was. However my experience with Civ players is that they look down their nose at those who play for different reasons then getting the "earliest victory with the highest score"
The original poster was asking for help since he wants to reroll but didn't like going through the whole game setup deal. I and several others were trying to help him and then some people start posting about how we seem to be sub-civvers since we don't like to play with bad setups.
You take weeks to do what I do in hours and refuse to challenge your mind.
Very poignant and polite.
I bow to your superiority and will return my copies of CiV and G+K posthaste.

...because a platform preceded by "I vote" is an "order".
...because a "bad set up" is a start with no river, any amount of tundra, desert, marsh
...because I'm arguing high score and early victory (preferable start positions elicit these)
...op needs help, and you help him need help more
...no bows necessary, especially defiant, patronizing ones
...you can't return your game

Did you try alternate map scripts?
PerfectWorld3 might get you more rivers I believe, the river basins Cephalo got with his algorithm are gorgeous.

Top Bottom