Advanced Settings

Legendary start seems to give my capitol a flavor of sorts. Raging Barbarians give my Warriors and Scouts a challenge. Both add activity and interest to early exploration phase of the game.

Everything else is just cheating due to the fact that it is not how I play. :lol:.

Offtopic ...

Eris ..... your avatar is freaky :lol:

Spent quite a few minutes looking at it without blinking, transfixed by it !!! :goodjob:

I'm a time victory off, quick, small, continents, low sea level, random climate, 5000BC world age kinda guy because to me it hit's the sweetspot for what Civ5 is best at - concise interesting and enjoyable play where the AI is at it's least weakest and the feel is very much still in the tradition of the classic Civilization series I-V.

Cheers

I enable Quick Combat, but disable Quick Movement. If I want to play a OCC, then I'll enable that to remove Settlers from the build list. Otherwise, I play with the default settings.

Settings that I would never use: Save SP, Save Promotion, New Random Seed, No Ruins
Settings that I rarely use: Raging Barbarians, Random Leader Personalities, Complete Kills

I play on Immortal or Deity, depending on my mood and available time. I like the more normal map types (e.g. Continents+), but not so much the weird ones like Sandstorm. They feel cheaty to me.

I typically play on default settings, sometimes no ancient ruins.

I never use save SP because I like being forced to choose at a certain point even if i haven't reached the desired era

The only one I've never used is Random Leader Personalities. It would make more sense because if you're just meeting someone then you don't know what they would be like but meh

The only one I've never used is Random Leader Personalities. It would make more sense because if you're just meeting someone then you don't know what they would be like but meh

I used to use Random Leader Personalities, but they always seemed to be more passive than they are with that option turned off. As a result, the game seemed easier. Maybe I was just unlucky, though. :/

I used to use Random Leader Personalities, but they always seemed to be more passive than they are with that option turned off. As a result, the game seemed easier. Maybe I was just unlucky, though. :/

Try putting in all the warmongers and Gandhi, see how that goes

Difficulties I like are:

Prince.
1.Random personalities.
2.NO GDR (oh wait that`s a Mod).
3.No hints (I usally swith those off after a first run).
4.No jumping to next Unit (annoying).
5. Save promotions, etc.
6.Every Civ unit must die before Civ is destroyed. This means that even if one little soldier is left and you`ve taken all his cities, the Civ still lives. I once had a Civ that was only surviving by having its Leader live on a Carrier! Can be annoying since you have to chase down every last person and it don`t let you see the Leader surrender.

Other stuff:

7.Random everything on world created so I have no idea what`s coming.

That`s about it, I think.

I notice that several people say they play with Ancient Ruins turned off. From a historic perspective, Ancient Ruins always bothered me because I thought I was starting a game at the dawn of civilization, so who made these ruins?

That aside, how is no Ancient Ruins from a gameplay perspective?

Well, it takes away a large randomocity effect from the game- for instance, with no ruins, neither you nor any other culture is going to rapidly get an early pantheon due to a goody hut, so it's going to be up to everyone to start their own religious buildings if they want that. Same with culture huts- without them, neither you nor any other civ is going to get a head-start on any social policies, you're all strictly limited to what you build yourself (or natural wonders nearby, if any). Also, no quick gold or techs from huts. It pretty much leaves the only random factor in how the game starts out, as the map itself- and what tiles and resources everyone gets near their start point. I personally think this makes it harder on the AI, as they don't have nearly the intelligence of the player, when it comes to that kind of thing. Randomocity from goody huts is far more likely to benefit multiple AI civs as they scout about the world, than it is you- the odds are just against you there. So, turning off ancient ruins is most often going to benefit you more, by hobbling all of your opponents a bit and not letting them get any big hut boosts right out of the gate.

My settings:
Raging Barbs, Abundant Resources, Quick Attack, No Espionage (until next patch anyway)

Top Bottom