Navel Units in cities.

KokeenoPokameso

Warlord
Ordinary to military units can not stack, but a city can house both a land unit and a navel unit. Since a city can attack that is three attacks per round of combat, now that is a lot of attacks. That is enough attack power from on hex to devastate one unit in a turn, and two of the attacking forces can attack with complete immunity from counter attack (assuming the city is not taken).

I would counter this not be removing the stacking of units but my letting an enemy navel, melee or ranged, unit attack a navel unit with in a city instead of attacking the city itself. This would provide greater incentive to product some sort of navy even on a Pangaea map, and remove some of that cheeze of letting one hex attack you three times per round.

If the land unit in the city was ranged, you could do three attacks without risking anything.

The only real problems I would have with this are:

1. There is almost never a need to attack the unit instead of the city. The unit is going to die regardless, since all units in the city are killed or captured when the city goes down. The only situation in which it might be worth it would be one in which you'd lose several units and not want to be in range of a city anyway.

2. A sea unit in a city is just as safe, if not safer, than a land unit. If you haven't seen how some coastal cities (real life cities) are set up to defend against naval invasion, it's a wonder to behold (just go to an older city, since any new city may very well not share the same ideas of naval power as 200 years ago).

Having visited Rio de Janeiro, for instance, there is a bay with forts on top of the hills on each side of the entrance. Another city I have been to, Natal, was a site threatened by invasion more than once. There is quite a massive star fort off the coast. Where I live, a coastal city as well, the oldest part of the city is on a part of the island (most of it is an island) that would have been virtually impossible to reach from the ocean without simply being allowed in.

The defensive bonuses that should be applied to ships in this situation are just insane. Any coastal city would be set up too well to allow you to have a chance at taking the ships before the city was already basically your's anyway.

I have not seen your examples, but I have seen the defenses at Valetta, in Malta, that are truly massive. Some examples are shown here

Seeing defenses like that, much of which was built over a period of 300 years, really helps you understand what real city defenses are (or were).

It makes you realise that the triple defense system, outlined above is actually VERY realistic when a city has been fortified to a serious degree, and may even be quite underpowered compared to reality.

Imagine being armed with a musket, and faced with a wall over 30 metres tall with crossbows and muskets firing from the top! What chance would you really stand, even by building makeshift ladders?

Ordinary to military units can not stack, but a city can house both a land unit and a navel unit. Since a city can attack that is three attacks per round of combat, now that is a lot of attacks. That is enough attack power from on hex to devastate one unit in a turn, and two of the attacking forces the land unit and naval unit defending the city can attack make ranged attacks on intruders with complete immunity from counter attack by the intruders(assuming the city is not taken).

Bolded for clarity.

I don't really see an issue with the circumstance that a ranged land unit AND a ranged naval unit are making "free" ranged attacks from a city tile. Why?

Because the majority of time one or both of the units are green with little to no experience for promotions. Why don't they have promotions? It's pretty hard for units to get experience by clinging to a city tile.

It'll be pretty tough to kill a fresh intruding unit of roughly the same tech level with three ranged attacks from green defenders in a single turn, especially if the intruder is smart enough to have Cover promoted units in front.

Personally, I think it's a waste of time to place meat shield units in range of a city and its defenders if I'm not reasonably certain that my meat shield can't withstand at least 2-3 turns of ranged attacks without dying, but ideally, 4-6 turns.

If the meatshields are dying within 2-3 turns, it probably means that the meatshields are way behind on tech, which is a completely different issue that has nothing to do with two units inhabiting the same tile. I mean, who declares war in Civ V and tries to invade with technologically inferior meatshields? That's just a waste of hammers.

Not all coastal cities have such elaborate defenses. I do not remember which, but in a previous civ game coastal defensive were a separate building from the city walls. you can do something like that again.

Unless you swamp a city with a lot of siege units it can take many turns to take a city. Each round of combat that one hex get's off three rounds of attacks doing major damage to one or more of the invading units. untill the city dies all three units are attacking at full health. If you can focus on taking out the navle unit inside you can reduce the nuber of attacks per tern from that one hex, or atleast reduce the effectiveness of the attack.

Top Bottom