Best alternative to Civ: Fallen Enchantress or Endless Space?

I also picked up ES lately when it was on flash-sale and I'm really enjoying it. There's a whole lot to build, the music is AWESOME, diplomacy is quite transparent and all the stuff with upgrades and research is amazing. Played 8-9 hours non stop yesterday and for 10€ it's a bargain. I hope they bring out some dlc with moar content.
Happy new year civ-freaks :)

civilization IV
or
galactic civilizations 2

Greatest game ever made or a bad/marginal 4x game with little depth?

Admittedly I haven't touched Gal Civ II since trying it out in late 2012 after a steam sale but here is a toned down copy of an email I sent to some friends who were asking about it:

Spoiler :
Galactic Civ II, despite glowing reviews, has a game-breakingly bad series of design decisions that make it horrible:

1. You set your "focus" on an empire wide basis. So planet specialization is sort of out the window because apart from minor emphasis buttons, most of your production/research is set in a macro slider. If you have 50% of your production going to military in the slider, even your planets with 5 research labs will be devoting approximately half their effort to building ships.

(I already hate this decision as city specialization was a major part of Civ IV, so nice to go back to the days of infinite cities all identical to each other. But this is only the first of many problems)

2. Excess production does not overflow from one build to another. So if you end up putting 179 production into a ship costing 90 production, congratulations! You just threw away 89 production. (This is like 1992 level 4x game design bad. Sid Meier learned you had to do overflow by the time Civ 2 came out ffs. So dumb, especially when you can't even micromanage your planets to avoid it)

3. You pay for everything. Every point of production you make costs you 1 bc. You know where this is going. You don't get refunded for your wasted production. So in addition to wasting 89 production in the prior example, you also spent 89 bc to do so. Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?

I'm seriously annoyed with this. Choices 1 and 3 I can live with and they make the game "different". Choice 2 is indefensible and makes the other choices indefensible as the sum is lesser than its parts.

I also seem to recall (again this is years ago since I touched it) that growing your population had very little real benefit to your planets apart from increasing your tax base.

I could write a million essays about Civ IV, but it is easier to just say: best game ever made.

I came to this thread after picking up Endless Space in the steam sale earlier this week and being fairly impressed with it (so far) as it scratched the MoO 2 itch much more effectively than Gal Civ 2 and I'm surprised there isn't a devoted thread just for it on here.

Top Bottom