-33% BNW on Steam Flash Sale

And my faith in steam is somewhat restored. I likely won't even play it, but at least i don't feel like i've been kicked in the groin any more.

Is it that they genuinely made a mistake, or are they just trying to make up publicity after a backlash?

I don't think it matters either way.

At least they are trying to right a wrong.

We'll never know their true motive so meh?

I was like most of the others, more upset with the principle not the lost money. I would have still paid for instant access. I've got over 1100 hours according to steam playing this game. I've got my monies worth ;-)

I don't think it matters either way.

At least they are trying to right a wrong.

We'll never know their true motive so meh?

I was like most of the others, more upset with the principle not the lost money. I would have still paid for instant access. I've got over 1100 hours according to steam playing this game. I've got my monies worth ;-)

Likewise, especially on the principle front being a European and the discount emerging on release day for me. The game is well worth the money though! :goodjob:

The free gift is only if you pre-ordered (and I think bought after release but before flash sale maybe) ON STEAM. Despite it being a steam code no matter where you bought it. Yes, some people got the game cheaper than steam on greenman, but surely everyone should get the gift?

It does feel like they apologised though and the worst hit people have received a token compensation so I'm calmed down a bit. That's mission accomplished for them then.

And yet....

And yet....

<fade to black, the words "To be continued?" fade up>

im not sure if anyone remembers but the discount never got greater than 10% (iirc) when GnK was released in the summer and the summer sale started shortly thereafter. seeing this is pretty shocking to me. i figured theyd never do anything beyond the 10% (both on pre-orders or summer sale) until at least holiday sale.

This. You indeed remembered correctly.

It's not common for games released within a month of the steam sale to go on sale. I mean, look at the current sales. About 1 in 4 games released in the last month are on sale. And those are all indie releases I think -- and being indie isn't assurance it'll go on sale either, Bleed is still the same "early adopter" 10% off despite having been on other platforms for a while now. Further, those that ARE on sale are often the 10-20% variety. Go past that magical one month threshold and like 90% of games are on sale and it starts breaking into 33% much more.

It was almost certainly a mistake that BNW went on sale this early.

That being said I still don't see Civ 4 in my inventory and I pre-ordered, so they might be slow in getting them out.

This. You indeed remembered correctly.

It's not common for games released within a month of the steam sale to go on sale. I mean, look at the current sales. About 1 in 4 games released in the last month are on sale. And those are all indie releases I think -- and being indie isn't assurance it'll go on sale either, Bleed is still the same "early adopter" 10% off despite having been on other platforms for a while now. Further, those that ARE on sale are often the 10-20% variety. Go past that magical one month threshold and like 90% of games are on sale and it starts breaking into 33% much more.

It was almost certainly a mistake that BNW went on sale this early.

That being said I still don't see Civ 4 in my inventory and I pre-ordered, so they might be slow in getting them out.

Might be, it was in mine when I posted earlier.

Thats how I knew about it. I already own it, but it's under my "new inventory"

So what if we. and probably most us I mean, already own Civ IV?! Why didn't Steam just give us store Credit/

So the free game is only for Steam pre-orders and it's a game that most of us already have rather than credit?

That sucks.

Well, its a gesture of goodwill - and mistakes happen all too easily.

Yeah, would be nice if it had been CIV4 complete - and yeah, sucks for those who didn't buy at steam - but still better than, lets say, EA "privileges" to get early access to the next DLC package of their games... ._.

If anyone of the non-steam buyers wants one of my CIV4 copies, just PM me.

Looks like it was a accident after all. Giving a away a free copy of CIV4 to say sorry

Wont help most of us since we likely already own that. Guess it will make a nice gift
But as I'm sure was pointed out in this topic, you get nada if you bought it elsewhere. I pre-ordered from GamersGate and I didn't get a free copy nor any blue coins or anything.

"Good" old Steam eh?

People need to stop feeling so incredibly entitled and sorry for themselves, this is EXACTLY the risk you accepted when pre-ordering something.
Don't like that? Don't pre-order!
This is exactly the same as when G&K came out and people started whining over spain being included, not to mention that the North-American buyers have absolutlely NOTHING to complain about because they get the best price anyway.

People need to stop feeling so incredibly entitled and sorry for themselves, this is EXACTLY the risk you accepted when pre-ordering something.
Don't like that? Don't pre-order!
This is exactly the same as when G&K came out and people started whining over spain being included, not to mention that the North-American buyers have absolutlely NOTHING to complain about because they get the best price anyway.
No, this isn't the risk you accept. You accept that in a few months it'll be on sale. You don't accept the 'risk' that it will go on sale for an extra 23% *on the day it launches in most of the world*.

Rarely, if ever, do titles get discounted like that on the day they release. You might find retailers knocking a few units of currency off here and there (particularly retail copies, not so much digital), but for a game to go on sale for a third off on the day it releases, after it was widely available on pre-order for 10% off? That's unprecedented.

No, this isn't the risk you accept. You accept that in a few months it'll be on sale. You don't accept the 'risk' that it will go on sale for an extra 23% *on the day it launches in most of the world*.

Rarely, if ever, do titles get discounted like that on the day they release. You might find retailers knocking a few units of currency off here and there (particularly retail copies, not so much digital), but for a game to go on sale for a third off on the day it releases, after it was widely available on pre-order for 10% off? That's unprecedented.

The risk is that you pay for it in a period of time where there aren't any sales available (and even that is an overstatement, seeing that people who got 10% of for ordering on different sites are whining about their lost 13%)
and even I saw this one coming 2 weeks ago, I mean come on, a game release in the steam summer sale, you really didn't think that was gonna happen?
Also, why are you fine with the game being on sale in a few months?
Do you really care what price other pay?If that is the case I feel incredibly sorry for you.

The risk is that you pay for it in a period of time where there aren't any sales available (and even that is an overstatement, seeing that people who got 10% of for ordering on different sites are whining about their lost 13%)
and even I saw this one coming 2 weeks ago, I mean come on, a game release in the steam summer sale, you really didn't think that was gonna happen?
Also, why are you fine with the game being on sale in a few months?
Do you really care what price other pay?If that is the case I feel incredibly sorry for you.
I'm, personally, not entirely miffed about this. I think it shouldn't have happened, and I'm also a little peeved that non-Steam buyers haven't been given the compensation Steam buyers have. But no, I didn't see it coming. I don't think anyone did, because - as I said - a title going on a discounted sale the day it releases (after a pre-sale) is largely unprecedented. It has probably happened a handful of times on major releases over the past few years.

And there *were* sales available during that month or so it was up for pre-order, but sales rarely - if ever - apply to pre-orders. Discounts, yes. Free bonuses, yes. Actual sale-level discounts (i.e. above ~20%)? No.

I got G&K for 25% off at the summer sale last year but that was after the expansion had been out for two months. I preordered BNW for the 10% discount figuring there was no way they'd have it on sale and convinced a friend to do the same since it would be insane for the game to go on a greater sale than the preorder. Turns out I must be the one who is insane. Oh well, guess I'll just make a sandwich for lunch tomorrow rather than hit up Arby's and call it even.

Meh, eventually, I'll buy a physical copy. I prefer to do so that way anyways. :king:

Yeah, they gave away Civ 4 vanilla.
So they want people to buy BTS.
I think it's a bit cheap.
I had been happy if we got the Civilization IV: The Complete Edition...

Again, I'm also certain that steam, as the distributor are the ones setting the prices here, and this flash sale is a steam sale, not a Firaxis or 2k sale. Complaining about this would be like complaining that your local game shop had a sale hours after release.

It's a well known fact that it's the publishers (in this case - 2K Games) who set up the prices on Steam, not Valve. Even when Valve starts the grand Steam-wide sale and everybody starts worshipping Gabe Newell, publishers are still resbonsible for prices.

Preorder should never be a malus, we pay in advance and in return we pay more? It doesn't make sense whatsoever. Anyhow, what do we have to do for the free civ4 copy that we'll never use?

edit: And customers from America at least got to play earlier (which may be worth the additional cost), Europeans jut got slapped

Top Bottom