Explain This

OK, I'll buy that. It's consistent with what I've observed. I'm guessing that comes from the game code?

If I'm interpreting what you are saying correctly, if a CS settler spawns 5 hexes from me, and I move 1 hex towards him and settle on turn 1, the same thing would happen?

Still, it makes little sense for the game code to allow for spawning on a mountain (although it does explain the 1 or 2 occasions where I only met 15 CS).

My airplane crash theory shouldn't be completely ruled out, especially in 4000 BC, right?

The Lua apprently placing it on a mountain to begin with is the biggest mystery. You could play 100 more games and probably won't see it happen again.

Some of the city state kills are turn 0 when the LUA gave up trying to place the last city state's spot, this is much more common than the turn 5/6 kill. Way back in the days of Vanilla you'd got notifications if an unknown city state was killed by any means.

The most common single reason for there to only be 15 city states to meet in a game setting that called for 16 though (in a game that doesn't include Austria / Venice) is that some AI conquered one of them before you met.

The most common single reason for there to only be 15 city states to meet in a game setting that called for 16 though (in a game that doesn't include Austria / Venice) is that some AI conquered one of them before you met.

I'll generally check city names to see if this is the case. It's important to know that you've met all 16 CS. If there's one hiding in some remote island, you need to know whether or not to waste the time to look. Yes, this assumes you've explored the map completely enough to know if there are any conquered/adopted CS, but that's usually pretty easy to do.

Which brings up another pet peeve: Attila's "UA" to steal other civs' names. What possible advantage can be gained from this? In some guides, I've seen it said that it allows you to know what unmet civs are in your game. Totally unnecessary. When I meet my first civ, I go into the trade screen, and click on the "other players, make peace with______". This will list all other civs and CS in the game. Am I wrong in that this is a useless UA? I actually liked Civ 2's ability to name my own cities.

Which brings up another pet peeve: Attila's "UA" to steal other civs' names. What possible advantage can be gained from this? .

Who says that the UA advantages all have to go to the players?
The advantage here was to the developers who didn't have to come up with a list of Hunnic city names.

Attila does have a real UA though, they start the game with Animal Husbandry.

Who says that the UA advantages all have to go to the players?
The advantage here was to the developers who didn't have to come up with a list of Hunnic city names.

Attila does have a real UA though, they start the game with Animal Husbandry.

Hah! I guess it would be rather difficult to find a city founded by a nomadic people, whose origins are still debated, and who disappeared from all records about 3 years after Attila's death. Point taken.

What happened to the city state settler is identical to that which would have occurred if the city state had been placed too close to another major settler or city state settler.
The AI city state logic for settler only includes the option to settle immediately and does NOT have logic to move it. There's kill via damage logic via turn 5 and 6 which may have been the inspiration for the Carthage 50% mountain hit.

I once had a game where THREE CS settlers and India's were within 3 range of mine. I settled in place, took India's settler (two hexes from my warrior) and found a stupid number of nearby natural wonders the next several turns. I had actually reduced the number of CS's that game to 12 (huge map), and no extra civs.

It seems the game doesn't take into consideration factors other than "does the code say a city would be good here?"

I seem to remember someone a long while ago posting a screenshot of a defeat screen in 4000 BC, and the minimap showing huge amounts of ice over the map. The conclusion was that it happened because of the crazy settings he had and the map generated no land where it could place units (it was all under ice).

Attempting to see this kind of thing, for anyone who wants to, is probably considerably easier the more you mess with the settings to reduce possible starting locations.

Too bad I was Siam (with a fourth of the CS's removed at the start of the game) that game and not Spain!

The most strange thing I find in this case is that its possible to meet the settler stuck in the mountain at turn 2 with 50 damage. Then it will remain at 50 damage until turn 6 !! So, no damage (50) per turn.

Is there, maybe, a clearance routine that kill all unsettled CS/civs on turn 5?? Have anyone meet an unsettled CS after turn 5??

Top Bottom