Liberty Domination Walkthrough

Otherwise the lack of mobility is a bit of a turn off .. (definite no if there is a lot of rough terrain around your capital - but maybe if there is a lot of open terrain)

I understand your point -- it's just that it's *so important* to do an early worker mugging that even with crappy terrain I'm tempted to make the first guy a warrior. Less tempted, surely, but I would argue that if you start in open terrain/Pangea, starting with a warrior, regardless of Civ, is the call to make. I guess I'm in the Maybe/Yes camp instead of the No/Maybe camp.

Gotta go scout first. The extra build and travel time means you lose a lot of ruins/CS gold. IMHO.

Gotta go scout first. The extra build and travel time means you lose a lot of ruins/CS gold. IMHO.

Understood -- IMHO it's a close decision and really can only be answered by keeping stats over 30+ games. Scout may get you an extra 70 or 80 gold on average, but if 25% of the time a warrior gets you a free worker, that's probably worth 400* -- plus he's more likely to be able to do a CS quest later on. May be overly optimistic to start with a warrior on a super-forest/jungle heavy board, though.

*Yeah, I know that workers cost 310 ...

Ethiopia, man .. I rage quit a dom. game few days ago, when rolling easily with arties i took a hit against a brick wall called Ethiopia.
Well, Ethiopia did give the white man a headache. It was never colonized by any European power, unlike most of other African nations.

But yes, lategame mehal sefari bonuses are obscene. You can only throw more and more units onto them in the hopes of killing at least one. Also, they get a guaranteed religion and are the casual culture runaway and diplomatically sound. It is indeed very hard fighting them, and every time I see them in my games, I want to cry.

Understood -- IMHO it's a close decision and really can only be answered by keeping stats over 30+ games. Scout may get you an extra 70 or 80 gold on average, but if 25% of the time a warrior gets you a free worker, that's probably worth 400* -- plus he's more likely to be able to do a CS quest later on. May be overly optimistic to start with a warrior on a super-forest/jungle heavy board, though.

*Yeah, I know that workers cost 310 ...

scouts can steal workers too.. City attack + 1 warrior or archer cannot 1 shot a scout .. Spearmen can afford 2 hits from defenders but scouts are most of the time good enough

scouts can steal workers too.. City attack + 1 warrior or archer cannot 1 shot a scout .. Spearmen can afford 2 hits from defenders but scouts are most of the time good enough

I have to get really lucky on Deity to get to a worker and only get attacked twice total across all defenders.

I don't have much trouble stealing a worker with my starting warrior. I haven't gotten to where I consistently succeed every game, but it's definitely doable. Not sure why you'd need two.

I don't have much trouble stealing a worker with my starting warrior. I haven't gotten to where I consistently succeed every game, but it's definitely doable. Not sure why you'd need two.

Sometimes my starting warrior walks into CS-ville, no AIs in sight, so no worker stealing by him for awhile. Regardless, stealing 2 workers, or 3, is awesome. You should try it, if you haven't :).

Sorry if I seem obsessed about the worker-mugging point, but mugging AIs for workers is really the thing that made it possible for me to win on Deity. (That and aiming for an earlier NC.)

I'm having a tough time with Domination VC in Deity. So far I have managed to win 4 Science victories, one Cultural and one Diplomatic. However, domination seems pretty tough to me. I feel like I need to do everything right or it won't work.

I think celts maybe a little bit underrated civ I just came to realize.
I was very easily able to dominate the map, not on deity, but lower difficulty.

But mid-game-ish, you get opera house with +3 happyness! That's almost like egypt, but not quite as good!

Then you get effective spearmen in early game. (and your first pick of the religion usually, if land is good)

Hi there! My first post in this forum.

The last couple of days I tried your great guide on Immortal. I do well with everything concerning the guide except for initial growth in the first 100 turns.
If I am to get out 2-3 settler by turn 50-60 I will usually need production improvements, meaning I miss out on farms or other food improvements.
Note: I micromanage workers as well as citizens! With citizens I usually keep a balance between prod and food until I have the monument up, then switch to food as being the main citizen priority (however, prod-focus auto is locked in every city meaning I sometimes forget to change new citizens from hills to food-tiles).

What do I do wrong? The only difference between deity and immortal in terms of initial city growth is - afaik - how early you can steal a worker. I am usually able to do that around turn 25-30. By that time, I am sometimes able to purchase the second and republic (or whatever that social policy is called) will give me the third around t50-60. By that time I already have 3-4 cities and am in desperate need of lux improvements - so also no food improvements around this time. I even got pyramids around t60 two times!

What do I do wrong? Is there a guide for early (until t100) city growth while still producing bowmen, settlers, etc.?

EDIT: In my last game as Russia, I had two size12 cities and 150 beaker per turn at t150. I didn't continue - although I was doing reasonably well compared to the AI - but I still quit because I want to become better at growing my cities!

Hi there! My first post in this forum.

The last couple of days I tried your great guide on Immortal. I do well with everything concerning the guide except for initial growth in the first 100 turns.
If I am to get out 2-3 settler by turn 50-60 I will usually need production improvements, meaning I miss out on farms or other food improvements.
Note: I micromanage workers as well as citizens! With citizens I usually keep a balance between prod and food until I have the monument up, then switch to food as being the main citizen priority (however, prod-focus auto is locked in every city meaning I sometimes forget to change new citizens from hills to food-tiles).

What do I do wrong? The only difference between deity and immortal in terms of initial city growth is - afaik - how early you can steal a worker. I am usually able to do that around turn 25-30. By that time, I am sometimes able to purchase the second and republic (or whatever that social policy is called) will give me the third around t50-60. By that time I already have 3-4 cities and am in desperate need of lux improvements - so also no food improvements around this time. I even got pyramids around t60 two times!

What do I do wrong? Is there a guide for early (until t100) city growth while still producing bowmen, settlers, etc.?

EDIT: In my last game as Russia, I had two size12 cities and 150 beaker per turn at t150. I didn't continue - although I was doing reasonably well compared to the AI - but I still quit because I want to become better at growing my cities!

Focus on qrowth until you start building settlers. There is no need to hurry production of monument by selecting production tiles. Try to always settle your capital on hill for faster early production.

OK. Thx. Tried it today with Poland and it worked!

Another question: would You rather spend 400 gold on a libary in the 4th City to get NC even earlier (say with Poland around t70) or use it to upgrade to CBs?
Please forgive my spelling. Bloody German autocorrect on iPad.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

And another question I encountered in my last game as Russia: when the wars begin around t70-90. Do you also take out a capital or do you only grab Enemy expansions in order to keep diplo malus low? I took Amsterdam and got dowed by the Aztecs and Iroquois one turn later even though they were friendly. I Managed to survive but still, my diplo was in the gutter.

Definitely the library unless you have an immediate need for the comp bows on either offense or defense. That fourth city is usually gonna take forever to get the library up since you just planted it. I tend to not have gold available at that point though because I'll spend it on a second/third scout (map dependent), workers if I couldn't steal multiples from nearest AI, or just archers so I can build other things. My last game though I did have 660 gold available to rush buy the university in my NC/jungle/mountain city as soon as education finished and that allowed me to tech into renaissance 1 turn before I picked my 6th social policy instead of 2 turns after. Timing that rationalism opener has been something I always struggled with and rush buying a science building is what made the difference.

As far as food goes, caravans and particularly boats can help a lot. That same game I was just talking about I put a city next to a mountain with 3 plains tiles (no river) and literally nothing else but 16 desert hills, and fed it up to ~25 pop at turn 200 by sending 2 food cargo ships from about turn 90 on. I got Petra in that city on turn 88 (yes deity) and it ended up as a ~200 hammer/turn beast.

I have a question: what changes (if any) would you make to the early game if you were on a continents map. Assume 1 or 2 coastal cities in the first 3/4 and of course some of the cities I puppet will be coastal too.

Thank you Moriarte for helping me score my first Deity win. My MacBook really couldn't handle the game after about turn 230 (not enough RAM I guess), so I bailed with diplo at around 300 since it would have taken me a wee bit longer to wipe out the last capital, but I learned loads during the game, especially how to take a pause and tech to dynamite and then sweep the map in a 20-30 turn firestorm that takes every city in my path :)

I shall use this model as the basis for all my liberty domination. Bravo I say to thee!

Good read, good videos, I'm glad there are people such as yourself that put out this kind of thoroughness and effort to help others. Just skimming through the 12 hours of video at the moment, trying to find the part where you reveal how to get 600 science per turn, 100 culture per turn, 100 gold per turn, 50 faith per turn, positive happiness, up to date buildings in your cities, and a massive military force at turn 200.

I don't get it at all. I've been following your advice with this, and tweaking here and there based on specific game/situation of course, and I'm looking at about 10 unhappiness, 20 gold per turn, 11 culture per turn, 2 faith per turn, and about 10 units by turn 200.

Any ideas? Really could use some help here. I wish my schedule permitted me to watch through all the video seeing as you went to the trouble of uploading it (even at double speed would be 6 straight hours).

But yeah, thats a HUGE gap between my results and yours, wondering where I go wrong, I feel like there's some kind of magic formula to increase all my results/stats tenfold (because of the massive difference).

I play on Immortal

EDIT: I watched all 12 hours...still no clue, might have been the massive amount of city states as friends, but somehow got 10 influence resting point for protecting, whereas I get 5

I need help with this strategy. I can't war at all. I've only won 1 deity domination victory so far and that was at something like turn 382. My wars take too long and bore me to death.

Some of my issues

1) I don't like fighting before artillery, so I try to tech until Dynamite and start the war with Artilleries. The issue is, that works fine for first 15-20 turns, but after that AI gets bombers and I have to sign peace treaty to save my units from bombed to death by going to Ballistics for AA guns. This takes something like 10-15 turns aswell, making whole thing late.
2) AIs spam thousands of units. Seriously last game with Poland I fought Shoshone for like 40 turns and couldnt get a city. I had 6 bombers, 5 artilleries, and kept killing his stuff but he kept purchasing units and throwing at me. I couldnt get over his wall of death to even have a shot at taking his cities.
3) So far I havent managed to hit Dynamite before turn 190. At that point I'm usually 3%-4% behind in Demographics so my science is allright, but its always turn 190 the earliest for me. I feel like I should be there around 170 but I havent managed to do this yet.
4) Because I get guilds and culture buildings late, ideology pressure destroys my happiness. I go autocracy to compensate, but still the happiness hit is huge.

Hey Dubio (and others), you need to have an edge before attacking. So attacking a vulnerable (non-warmonger) capital on T60 with 6x CBs and 2x warriors/spears/siege towers/etc. will usually only encounter warriors and archers. Soon after that you'll run into swords so you need more CBs, and upgraded CBs, and by the time the AI has Steel, you need to have upgraded to XBs.

So what I do is to try to take 1 (sometimes 2) capitals early, then sit back, grow my non-puppet cities as much as possible, use my army to do CS quests (even though they don't get more XP they win you influence) and/or farm XP from a CS/AI I'm still at war with but am not intending to conquer (just yet).

Then when dynamite arrives, upgrade everything, and send 2 medium-sized armies off to sweep through the AI.

If you do this early-hit-then-tech strategy, you will regain the edge by out-teching and/or beelining and once the mid-game momentum builds, you might have some fun UUs come round the pipe (did someone say PANZERKAMPFWAGON?) and then it's pretty easy.

With something as awesome as panzers (that used to be knights, that used to be horses) it doesn't matter if the enemy cities have 2-5 GWBs each, you will take them easily.

So smash, then grow, then smash. You probably won't need a third push.

Top Bottom