How does the new Civ4 "Unit Strength" relate to Civ3's "Unit Attack" and "Unit Defence" Points?

wc3promet

Warlord
How does the new Civ4 "Unit Strength" relate to Civ3's "Unit Attack" and "Unit Defence" Points?

Civ3 was following a Attk/Def system similar to Magic The Gathering Cards. However Civ4 appeared to have replaced this with the "Strength system".

Btw, does 1st Strike work if you're the defending side?

wc3promet said:

Civ3 was following a Attk/Def system similar to Magic The Gathering Cards. However Civ4 appeared to have replaced this with the "Strength system".

Btw, does 1st Strike work if you're the defending side?

Actually Civ 3's system was very unlike Magics system

In the Magic system, double kills and double saves were possible. (because both Attack AND Defense were used in every situation) (Attack was really "Ability to Kill in Battle" and Defense was really "Ability to Survive Battle")

In Civ 1-3 only one number for each unit was used in combat, the Attack of the Attacker and the Defense of the Defender (so the result varied a lot based on who was moving that turn)

In Civ 4 only one number matters as well but it is the same number whether the unit is the on in a spot or moving into the spot (in most cases)

And first strike appear to work in all cases.

I was completely shocked when I heard in the trailer that the attack/defense system was abolished. It was like the pope decided from now on only women would be priests... except that might actually be a nice idea for a change and I don't care as much about the catholic church as about civ. Anyway, I could hardly think of a more stupid thing to change, or more fundamental. They explained the change by saying it was easier now to see in a glance which unit was stronger...
which showed the trailer was made by people who knew nothing at all about the game. Combat has actually become a lot more complex, and I like it. Never was much of a warmonger, but now it has become a seriously enjoyable way of playing for me. I do believe they should have retained/restored (don't think it was in III) the fire power/hit points system though, tanks shouldn't just have more strength but also more endurance and oomph. The fact that reduced health now equals reduced strength makes that all the more necessary.

Ray Patterson said:
I was completely shocked when I heard in the trailer that the attack/defense system was abolished. It was like the pope decided from now on only women would be priests... except that might actually be a nice idea for a change and I don't care as much about the catholic church as about civ. Anyway, I could hardly think of a more stupid thing to change, or more fundamental. They explained the change by saying it was easier now to see in a glance which unit was stronger...
which showed the trailer was made by people who knew nothing at all about the game. Combat has actually become a lot more complex, and I like it. Never was much of a warmonger, but now it has become a seriously enjoyable way of playing for me. I do believe they should have retained/restored (don't think it was in III) the fire power/hit points system though, tanks shouldn't just have more strength but also more endurance and oomph. The fact that reduced health now equals reduced strength makes that all the more necessary.

Actually they did
basically
Attack=Strength
Defense=Strength
Firepower (damage done per hit)=Strength
Hitpoints (Resistance to damage)=Strength*'health'
'health' being the Actual hitpoints the game uses

So that when health goes down by 1/2 (moving strength down by 1/2) doe to damage
your 'combat ability', (Att or Def)*Firepower*Hitpoints
goes down to 1/16
and if bonuses change your strength by 25%
your combat ability
goes up by about 80%

Top Bottom