Can't build gunpowder units?

cmcl14

Chieftain
Hi,

I'm new to these forums, but I've been playing Civ IV for a while, and I've come across something that hasn't happened before. I'm working on future tech's at this point, and I can only build armored, air, and naval units. I would like to be able to build SAM infantry, but it's not available. Does this always happen? I know that some obsolete units are automatically disabled, but the Mech Infantry doesn't perfectly replace a SAM infrantry.

Thanks

That's how it works, Mech. Inf. obsoletes SAMs. I don't like it either, cuz the Mech. Inf. has a much lower intercept value. You can edit the XML file to remove the obsoletion.
BTW, Mech. Inf. is cosidered a gunpowder unit.

Mech Infantry is classified as a gunpowder unit. If you want SAM Infantry, build them when they are available and don't upgrade them all to Mech Infantry.

Alternative: build (jet) fighters and have some on intercept. They intercept out to their full range, unlike half-range of Civ3. I believe that the more on intercept, the better chance of interception.

fighters are better then SAMs cause they can be use for attacks (I know that SAMs can attack, but they suck!)

Top Bottom