August Patch (1.0.1.383) is out!

I know to most people this didnt make a difference, but other than the creation of hot seat, this:

Player can now “un-end” their turn in multiplayer. This includes performing any new actions, like giving a unit a new order, opening a city screen, or clicking on the "Please Wait" button after previously ending their turn.
Ping times now displayed in the Player List UI (click the player list to expand, exposing the ping times, and then click again to hide them).
Hot-Seat: City State screens now update properly when switching players.

Was my favorite change they've ever made.

Guys, just so you know, Dennis Shirk has already confirmed a bug was spotted in relation to the "turn ending" problem.

Note that for players like myself who cycle through all our units before pressing end turn (which may be what Civsassin is doing too), usually by repeatedly pressing the "w" key while we play, the problem rarely occurs, if at all.

There was a bug that allowed the game to declare the "next turn" before all units had finished movement. They "fixed" it, but only to the point where it said "Please wait for other human players". If the curser did not change to a spinning globe, then you had to cycle again yourself to figure out which unit had not finished it's movement.

It is supposed to be fixed "again" in yesterdays hot fix. So in August it was addressed, but not fixed. It did force me to cycle with the "unit" arrow though instead of the "command" box on the right hand side. Learning that has avoided city messages and cycles units more in the "same" area of the map instead of "still" jumping here and there. I would assume "w" would be the same as using the unit "cycle" arrow and not the "box" ontop of the mini-map.

So if anything it has to do with the way the event or what ever you want to call that option above the mini-map box "handles" the units and not the actual way the game cycles through the units which has caused the "bug". Since August, people have been complaining that they had to wait for endless minutes before they realized what actually was going on since if one did not use auto-cycle due to their system not able to "handle" the game due to specs. Those who did use auto cycle, may have felt cheated, but that is debatable, since the game would not go on to the next turn until an "unknown" unit had completed it's turns. To me it almost seemed that the unit (with auto cycle turned off) actually had the ability to move "extra" tiles during the "in between turn phase".

It's as I suspected. 2K is fundamentally content with the game flow at this point. They are just making minor tweaks. We won't see any more major patches (like the one released in June) until they offer an expansion, which I understand is going to be around the holidays.

May I ask where you heard this? (not in a challenging tone but an eager tone)

Expansion is unlikey this year. A boxed expansion, heck even a digital one would usually be unveiled at a trade show first or failing that unvieled in a media event to drum up publicity. It's september and nothing yet and there's no hint of one.

Earliest we'd see one is middle of 2012 or next fall.

May I ask where you heard this? (not in a challenging tone but an eager tone)

I hate to not be able to give specifics, but in an earlier thread - I don't remember which one - one of the moderators mentioned an expansion around the holidays. The fact that we haven't heard any news yet though is disappointing. It may be related to the fact that the game had to have some major patches. I don't know how they could design an expansion until the major game mechanics had been sorted out.

There was a bug that allowed the game to declare the "next turn" before all units had finished movement. They "fixed" it, but only to the point where it said "Please wait for other human players". If the curser did not change to a spinning globe, then you had to cycle again yourself to figure out which unit had not finished it's movement.

It is supposed to be fixed "again" in yesterdays hot fix. So in August it was addressed, but not fixed. It did force me to cycle with the "unit" arrow though instead of the "command" box on the right hand side. Learning that has avoided city messages and cycles units more in the "same" area of the map instead of "still" jumping here and there. I would assume "w" would be the same as using the unit "cycle" arrow and not the "box" ontop of the mini-map.

So if anything it has to do with the way the event or what ever you want to call that option above the mini-map box "handles" the units and not the actual way the game cycles through the units which has caused the "bug". Since August, people have been complaining that they had to wait for endless minutes before they realized what actually was going on since if one did not use auto-cycle due to their system not able to "handle" the game due to specs. Those who did use auto cycle, may have felt cheated, but that is debatable, since the game would not go on to the next turn until an "unknown" unit had completed it's turns. To me it almost seemed that the unit (with auto cycle turned off) actually had the ability to move "extra" tiles during the "in between turn phase".

The issue was discussed a bit in a thread in bug reports.

I hate to not be able to give specifics, but in an earlier thread - I don't remember which one - one of the moderators mentioned an expansion around the holidays. The fact that we haven't heard any news yet though is disappointing. It may be related to the fact that the game had to have some major patches. I don't know how they could design an expansion until the major game mechanics had been sorted out.

Thats a fear of mine too. Although an expansion is an opportunity to address many concerns of the gamers. For example a lot of people are unsatisfied with diplomacy. Well bringing back religion may be a solution to that. It was one of the most significant factors in Civ IV's diplomacy so a dynamic change like that could "fix" anything "broken" with diplomacy now. (my personal view is that diplomacy now is alright, but others seem to not like it)

I hate to not be able to give specifics, but in an earlier thread - I don't remember which one - one of the moderators mentioned an expansion around the holidays.

The moderators are good people, but they don't know anything more than we do.

I hate to not be able to give specifics, but in an earlier thread - I don't remember which one - one of the moderators mentioned an expansion around the holidays. The fact that we haven't heard any news yet though is disappointing.

I don't think anyone ever said something like that.
At least i can't remember it.

The moderators are good people, but they don't know anything more than we do.

:yup:
(but we have an admin who might know...but be also sure that he isn't allowed to say anything)

And thanks :D.

I don't think anyone ever said something like that.
At least i can't remember it.

You can't remember because it was mentioned in a DLC or patch discussion. It was just quite some time ago, and I cannot recall the thread.

That may have been the case.

If it was me, it was definitely guessing. I've said once or twice I think it'd make a lot of sense for there to be an expansion because the base game sold really well and was mostly received well. Also that for a new engine that is slightly future-proofed (it will be better on more powerful hardware) and that probably took a lot of effort and resources, it'd seem a waste to throw it away.

If it was me, it was definitely guessing. I've said once or twice I think it'd make a lot of sense for there to be an expansion because the base game sold really well and was mostly received well. Also that for a new engine that is slightly future-proofed (it will be better on more powerful hardware) and that probably took a lot of effort and resources, it'd seem a waste to throw it away.

I would be shocked if there wasn't an expansion. The only reason I could think that it is taking so long is the fact that there were such major modifications made to the game mechanics during the past year. I'm sure expansion concepts have been identified, but it would defitinely be difficult to code while the game was in such flux. At least, that's what I think.

The engine is a good point. My continuing instinct is DLC is better for a risk adverse company. They don't have to invest the resources for payoff months ahead when they can invest resources a month at a time and have it pay off within a couple of months.

I realize, in the end, they're creative artists and the desire to add core gameplay additions might outweigh the financial sense, but not if the financial justification can't support it. However, the idea of getting more use out of the engine is a good one. That might be the financial push needed.

Of course, they would be stupid not to figure out what they're handling those who have bought DLC before they announce an expansion

Top Bottom